Mississippi Manor B&B
US$67
Agoda.com
Quality Inn(Burlington)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbecky thatcherhistoric districtfellow guestsbeautifully restored homewithin walking distance
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Mississippi Manor is a beautiful old house with gloriously high ceilings and copious amounts of hard wood that was painstakingly refurbished. The rooms are probably some of the most spacious I have seen in most any B&B. We stayed in the Becky Thatcher Suite and the bathroom was so large--two sinks and a two person jacuzzi--I felt like a Dutchess. When I sat in bed putting on lotion, I glanced out the window to see the Mississippi River. (Fair warning, if the leaves are on the trees, you won't be able to see it.)

The whole house has a positive energy that put a bounce in my step moments after I arrived and long after I left. I loved going up and down the wooden staircase and watching the squirrels through the large windows during breakfast.

The downtown area with shops and restaurants is in walking distance just a few blocks down the street.

Florence was a wonderful innkeeper offering just the right amount of pleasant conversation and just the right amount of privacy. She also made a wonderful cinnamon bread french toast with yogurt butter and maple syrup. Mmmm... that house smelled good in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WiderVistas
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This was a great little B&B in Burlington. I promised my husband a weekend of baseball in the Iowa river valley, but also wanted to find nice places to stay so we could check out the historic downtowns. This B&B was within walking distance of the downtown and close to the river (just a couple blocks), but was on a quiet, residential street.

Our room was very clean and quiet (as was the whole house). Our sheets were soft and smelled fresh and good. We stayed in the Mark Twain suite which was spacious with a nice four poster bed nestled in a bank of corner windows. Our room had a comfortable couch for lounging and a cute little desk by the window. Our private bathroom was spacious and again, very clean.

The innkeeper, Florence, was very nice and really knowledgeable about the town. We had a great breakfast (fruit, coffee, egg souffle, muffin, and juice) and enjoyed a nice chat about the area. She keeps very helpful maps of the town in the entryway and had some great suggestions for places and activities based on our interests.

We were there the weekend of a very popular bicycle race and got to see some of the event since the race took place just blocks away from where we were staying. Should anyone reading this be traveling to Burlington for the race next year, I would highly recommend this B&B. It's very close to the event as well as a lovely place to stay. You'll get a good night's sleep in a clean, comfortable, and charming room, as well as a hearty breakfast for just under $100. My husband and I would both highly recommend staying here if you happen to be in Burlington!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank from-madison-wi
Reviewed 24 November 2010

I was visiting Burlington doing research for a book and found the Mississippi Manor exceeded my expectations in every way. It's a comfortable, charming B&B located at the edge of downtown, within walking distance of the Mississippi River, downtown, the historic district. The host was informative and welcoming and, as always with B&Bs, the fellow guests interesting and fun.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Olympia_Deb
Reviewed 22 June 2010

A beautiful home from before the civil war, beautifully restored and furnished. Very inviting despite the furniture almost too special to sit on. Amazing chandelier in the larger parlor. The three bedrooms are on the second floor. Each is large, each has an incredible bed. Breakfast was tailored to our taste and diet--and was served at the time we chose. The food was served beautifully. Each breakfast had an unusual element. Each provided wonderful aroma and was delicious. There is a small park across the street wonderful for a quick walk and great view of the Mississippi river and downtown buildings. The owner ls interesting, a good listener, and clearly does this because she loves it. She is knowledgeable about the area. For some people, the stairs outside and up to the bedrooms might be a reason to not stay here. We had a very pleasant time and expect to stay here the next time we can visit Burlington.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hornewc
Reviewed 28 November 2005

I'm originally from Burlington (now live in CA), and wouldn't waste a dime staying at PZAZZ, The Grand Orleans, or any other hotel that you can find in Burlington! If you want a cozy room, lovely atmosphere, and yummy home-cooked breakfast in the best Burlington location, the Mississippi Manor B&B is for you! We stayed in the Mark Twain Suite (King bed, bay windows, fireplace, & sitting area) for only $90 a night! Plus, we had a beautiful view of the Mississippi River right from the house!! Also within walking distance of Martini's Bar & Grill,which has some of the best food and people watching that you'll find! Have a great time!

3  Thank missamiann