“Quiet rooms”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Burlington
Austin, TX
“Quiet rooms”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had reserved a non-smoking King bed room, and due to computer system problems in the hotel, got assigned to a room with two queen beds after a very long check in process.

Our room was adjacent to the workout room, but we did not experience any noise problems.

The hotel was clean and the room was functional. The internet worked well, and this would have been a great stay for us if our check-in process had been faster and we had gotten the king-bed room that we had reserved.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful, they didn't look professional however and had an unkept appearance. The location is good, near restaurants and where I worked. The bed was comfortable, bedding was older but clean. The floors were not clean. The fire sprinklers were caked with dust. Cobwebs in the corners.

I learned from locals that this hotel and two other big name hotels in town (usually considered higher quality) are owned by the same person. My colleagues stayed at one of these other hotels and had the same experience with cleanliness and unkept staff. It seems the owner's standards are not very high.

I travel for my work. I stay in many hotels. This one did not meet my standards and did not meet my expectations for a HIE. I notice that someone is faithful to respond to these reviews and down-play the negatives. I would rather see you raise the bar. Clean up your staff, clean up your rooms and be professional!! Hotel rooms are my home away from home. Make it clean and pleasant please.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank amomofone
HIEBRGIAGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burlington, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am the new General Manager here and I assure you that your comments will be looked into. I hope this stay does not effect my chance to exceed your expectations. Thank you for choosing IHG, we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Batavia, Iowa
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We arrived at 3 pm in the middle of a snow storm. Got checked in. Went to our room and it was freezing. Everything I touched felt like ice. My husband and I got the furnace running but it would only blow out lukewarm air and very lightly.He checked the filter..it was clean. We call ed the front desk after 15 minutes and asked for another room. She said the manager was coming to look at it. She got there...put her hand over it and said it's warm. I said..It's barely warm and very cold in here. Can we have a different room with heat? She says I don't have any other rooms.I questioned her and she kept saying no more rooms. SO I said well what are we supposed to do? She said....if you have some errands to run it somewhere to go and maybe it will start working. I explained that we are in the middle of a snowstorm we just got in and don't want to go back out. SO she says...well I can give you your money back. I said...then what? She said...you can go find a room elsewhere. That was totally unacceptable....in a snow storm that late in the day and after I made reservations weeks in advance. She left out room. I thought I would try the front desk clerk again as she was very nice but overruled by the unaccommodating manager. There was a lady checking in. She paid and was waiting for her room key (it's almost 4 pm now) then they tell her that her room isn't clean yet and if she has some errands to run. I told the lady...good luck...when you do get your room I hope it's warm as I have no heat in mine. The manager comes back to the desk and I ask her if she has a space heater we could use...and she says that illegal. In the meantime, 6 other guests arrive...one almost falls because the floor is so wet. The manager looks at them and says....it's going to be awhile...you people will just have to wait. And I asked again.....Can I pay to upgrade to another sized room? I have no heat and it's just not fair.The desk clerk just took over (thank God) and put us in a king suite.....WITH HEAT! The manager kept making excuses to the guests waiting to check in......2 of our cleaning staff called in because of the weather.....well I live in Iowa and I will tell you plain and simple...The storm did not start in Burlington until 1 pm that day. I would have assumed That rooms should have been finished up by 1pm. Poor excuse. As a manager she should have been cleaning them herself if need be. I thank God for the Desk Clerk that walked into this nightmare. She kept her cool and was accommodating to her guests. Your manager, on the other hand, Needs to find a new job. I stay at Holiday Inn when I am not on business....When I'm just wanting to enjoy time with my husband. We travel a lot. We review a lot. The New room was very comfortable and warm. no complaints there!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank M E
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burlington, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear M E,

Thank you for your candid review regarding your most recent stay. I was delighted to read that after some initial issues with your room, our front office staff was able to sort the problem and you enjoyed your second room. We will always endeavor to ensure that all our guests stays are comfortable. However, it is truly regrettable that you were not satisfied with the service received from the hotel management. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced. This isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves and will certainly be looked into. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world class service to our guests.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
West Burlington, IA
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The hotel location is great. The room we stayed in was updated and clean. The pool area was a bit of a disappointment but my son still had fun. The breakfast area was large and clean. Overall, it was a good hotel for the price. I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ChristyL112
HIEBRGIAGM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burlington, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Hello ChristyL112! I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your review! We always aim to provide the best accommodations for our guests and are pleased to hear we provided great service to you! Though you were disappointed with our pool area, we do appreciate the feedback! Your opinion matters to us and we look forward to seeing you again!
Saint James, Missouri
Reviewed 2 November 2013

When we walked in the door, we were hit by an overwhelming wave of chlorine from the pool. Always dislike being greeted by that kind of odor, but it was after our "cancel reservation by" time, so we stayed anyway. Desk clerk was VERY friendly and engaging, and our interaction with her was the highlight of our stay. Went to the "all hours" coffee service - and it was all stone cold. Room was clean and comfy. Every piece of carpet in the place (hallways and rooms) seems designed to throw you into immediate convulsions - those incredibly disorienting patterns. Breakfast had something we'd never run into before - a pancake machine. Put your plate under the hopper, push a button, and it fries pancakes and deposits them on your plate. I'm scared, mommy.

All in all, it was truly OK. Nothing to write home about, but thought we'd write about it here anyway.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
HIEBRGIAGM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burlington, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us on the site. We appreciate your valuable feedback and your suggestions. Of course we strive to make every Guest experience a positive and memorable one and disappointed that we were not able to do this for you.
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stay here periodically for work. Hotel is conveniently located on main highway through town. Fitness center is minimal. The equipment is True brand which is mediocre. I was in a non-smoking room. However, I could occasionally smell smoke as I think was above a smoking room. Why are smoking rooms are on the first floor? Doesn't smoke rise?

Room Tip: If you don't like smoking, request a room away from the smoking rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burlington, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear UncleSamTraveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. I apologize for the inconvenience the room assigned to you may have caused. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Iowa
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I felt this hotel was under maintained and poorly equipped. It was noting special to begin with but you at least expect things to work and it to be bug free. There were several bugs found in different locations and i reported this to the desk. Also the mechanical flusher on the toilet was malfunctioning and had to be re-attached several times. And the stool was loosely attached to the floor! Anyway if you have a choice move down the road and see if you can do better..

Room Tip: Try another hotel......
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank bigdogroad
Johnathan F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burlington, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear Valued Guest

I do realize that you had issues with your stay here and when learning of this that morning I assure you all those issues have been resolved. Your rooms mechanical issues have been 100 percent fixed. These issues we sometimes don't see tell guest like you bring them to our attention. Thank you for using tripadvisor and hope you have a great day.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Comfort Suites Burlington
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 11 in Burlington
Boulders Inn & Suites Fort Madison

Been to Holiday Inn Express Burlington? Share your experiences!