“Just okay one night stay”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Burlington
Austin, Texas
“Just okay one night stay”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Quick stop on our way to the Iowa State Fair. Staff, breakfast and location (across the street from a fun and surprisingly nice casino) were all very nice. Rooms could use some updating as ours smelled musty and damp upon entering. Glad we used points as I would have been unhappy to have paid the nightly rate for this room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with our hotel. I am glad you found our area welcoming!
I am sorry that there was an unpleasant odor in your guest room. I have researched the room you have stayed in and we have deep cleaned the PTAC unit and the smell has improved. I am very sorry that we did not catch this earlier.
We hope that you provide us another chance to accommodate you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Des Moines
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Had to stay overnight on a long drive down south and wanted to stay @ a Marriott to get points. This hotel is in great shape, room was very nice and our rate was great. The breakfast was also pretty impressive considering most Fairfield's we stay at just do the typical juice/coffee/bagels/pastries.
The only downside was that the manager let us know they've had a lot of car break-ins as of late (six in one week!), but we emptied our car out and parked under a light and we were just fine.
Would really recommend if you need a place to stay in the Burlington area!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall. I am happy to share that local authorities have caught the individuals who were breaking into the vehicles. We are relieved that our Guest no longer have to be concerned as well as we can have peace of mind as well.
We look forward to accommodating you in the future and thank you for being a loyal Marriott Member.
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I am giving this hotel 2 stars only because it is so cheap, and I do believe you get what you pay for. The room was clean bu smelled musty upon entering. I figured out why when I went into the bathroom. There was a great deal of mold on the ceiling caused by some type of obvious water damage. (See photos attached). The bathtub had some dark stuff (either mold or dirt) on the bottom of the tub, but there was a fresh clean "no slip" mat on top of it. I took a shower with my flip flops on. The bed was hard but the sheets looked and smelled clean. There is a 37" HD TV in the room. The location is good as it is by the highway and right across the street form a casino. Breakfast was not good. Re-hydrated scrambled eggs, sausage and make your own waffles. It is free so I don't take points off, but they certainly don't get point either. I think this is a decent economy hotel, but that is all there is in Burlington Iowa so you just have to deal with it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank UFLawyer
FFIBRLFIGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. The room that had this problem has been fixed. We do hope you will come back and be our guest next year.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I would like to start by saying that the Marriott brand is my favorite chain of hotels. We stay in hotels approximately 30 nights a year, so I have definite favorites. This hotel in particular does not live up to the Marriott standards.

First, the good. Really nice front desk woman at check in, nice lobby, decent breakfast, surprisingly good coffee, and they have comfortable beds, even though the sheets pop off.(I hate that)

Now, some of the bad. Our first room was on the first floor, after requesting 6 months in advance for a high floor (there are only 3 floors) away from the elevator. It was 9:00 and I was told they were full and that this room was the last one. I accepted it and moved on.

We unpacked and got ready for bed, when at 10:30 I went into the bathroom and almost wiped out on the large puddle of water that had appeared. I couldn't understand where it came from until I saw water running down from a hole in the ceiling which had mold all around it. We were later told that the drain line in the room above us was leaking and that the occupant upstairs had just taken a shower. Someone at the hotel had to know about this, since it was apparent by the damage to the ceiling that it had been going on for a while. And I thought the peeling wallpaper was bad.

We were moved to a high floor away from the elevator. Huh?

This room also had peeling wallpaper, and had an absolutely gross, dirty, stained tub, with a dirty shower liner that was so long we had no choice but to stand on it while taking a shower. We would have moved, but after a look online, saw that every other acceptable hotel in town was full.

Also, our keys seemed to be good for one use, and then had to be reactivated. We took a number of trips to the lobby, but the one time the general manager was working the desk. We had to wait 5 minutes, listening to his private phone call before he helped us. He did apologize. Who do you complain to when it's the manager doing this?

We stayed in this hotel last year, and didn't like it then, but I kept reading on here about the renovations. Don't believe it. The elevator is still gross, the bathrooms are still gross, the carpet in the halls is still terrible, and the tile going into the pool area is still filthy. The only thing we did notice was that the stairwells seemed to have new paint, which the dripped paint all over the carpeting proved.

The general manager should take a tour through each and every room in this hotel and ask himself if he would rent these rooms for him and his family. I don't think so.

My review ratings are averaged to take into account the good along with the bad.

Needless to say, I should have remembered my vow to not stay here again after last year. We will for sure not stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TeamBE
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I also want to thank you for calling me out on a mistake made. I should always remember our guest first, there surly is no excuse for bad judgment when it comes to guest service. I actually do go through our rooms every day before they are rented. We are almost done replacing the entire bathroom in all guest rooms, this part of the renovation will be done by 06-11-13. The full room renovation will be done shortly after. I am deeply troubled that you will not return, please feel free to call me and let us see if we can make this right for you.
Bettendorf, Iowa
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This hotel is being rejuvenated, paint ,carpet, tile, pool has been completely remodeled, will be very nice the the work is done. Friendly staff, great place for a quiet nights sleep. Would give this place a 5 when all the work is done

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Thank you for the kind comments. We are working our way through this rejuvenation; the finished product is going to be amazing. Fortunately we have stopped all of the construction till October so we do not disappoint the leisure traveler over the summer. My team and I look forward to serving you the next time you come to Burlington.
Ellettsville, Indiana
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Stayed here as a stop on our trip to Iowa. Would give it an average rating. They were in the process of refurbishing which made for dusty halls and more foot traffic than normal. room was clean, staff was attentive. Breakfast nothing special, but more than just the typical Continental breakfast. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Thank you for your comments. No matter what is happening with the hotel the staffs main goal is to always give you a room that is clean and fresh and reflects the highest quality standards. Because of this promise it does force use to update the hotel every so often. I do hope you will come back and see the end results.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 February 2013

This is our second visit, of multiply days each stay as a family, along with individual stays for business and we'll definitely be back! When traveling we always look for hotels that pride themselves on providing clean rooms ie no dust or sticky ?, nothing left behind on carpet or flooring, mirrors you can actually see yourself, clean bathroom, supplies readily available and replenished, you will find all this at Fairfield Inn Burlington. We have repeatedly experienced friendly willing helpful staff both on the phone and in person! Add a cozy couch lobby and large well stocked breakfast area with plenty of fresh breakfast choices and beverages throughout the day, what more does a traveler need? Well, a large heated indoor pool, exercise room, plenty of parking with many different restaurants nearby and entertainment across the street makes this hotel convenient.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
FFIBRLFIGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Thank you for the kind words the team we have here at the Fairfield Inn and Suites just thrives on hearing from our guest. This team is hospitality driven and takes everyone’s stay to heart. We hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Comfort Suites Burlington
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 11 in Burlington
Boulders Inn & Suites Fort Madison

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Burlington? Share your experiences!