“Life savers!!”

Cedar Rapids Marriott
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Reviewed 26 February 2010

I am from Phoenix, AZ. and have never been Iowa before. I apparently came unprepared for the weather as it had been snowing for days. On the morning of my business meeting, my rental car was stuck in the parking lot and I could not move it. I asked one of the desk employees what I should do and without hesitation, a front desk employee and a bellman went out to my car. They not only dug my car out but scraped my windshield off as well. This is the type of service that will truly "WOW" somebody. I can't say enough about the staff, food, free internet and everything else that the Cedar Raqpids Marriott had to offer. Great Hotel!!
P.S. Those bad reviews people wrote seem to be dated themselves.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 February 2010

I stayed here with my 17 year old daughter. The hotel was wonderful. The lobby area is spacious and open. We had a room with double beds. We had a sink and vanity area in the room as well as in the bathroom. Anybody who has ever had to try to share a bathroom with a teenager in the morning can appreciate what a luxory it was to have the extra vanity and sink in the room. I will stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 January 2010

This is a great hotel with great service for any and all clients. Price may vary and be a little higher than the rest in this town but be well worth it. This hotel offers everything a client may expect and has attentive service and very clean and spacious rooms. For conference call ahead and talk to management as they may be able to accomendate a better package deal.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2010

The main reason I booked a room here is that I had a $50 prepaid card to use along with my AAA rate. I knew this full-serve hotel would probably be busy on a Saturday night with weddings or other functions, and it was, along with a large group of teenagers. Part of the parking lot was roped off, so we parked a long way from the front door in very cold weather. It was nice to see the male front desk clerks in suits and ties, but I didn't get any warm fuzzies from them.

Our first issue came when we entered our almost at the top floor room; I was told "I'd have to charge you extra to stay on the top floor." Around the corner was a scene I call "adults behaving badly" where the room door was open, many adults were in the room and they were loud and drunk. They were probably the chaperones for the teen sport team or choir group. After awhile they either shut the door, went somewhere else to party, or someone complained before I did.

Our room was very dated, with old wallpaper and furnishings, but parts of the room were updated. We had an old tube TV and even the remote was so old the paint had been worn off the keypad. Adjacent to one of the beds was a long counter and sink with extreme lighting, kind of odd but also helpful when more than one person is getting ready.

The bathroom - there wasn't a towel bar or rack over the toilet, but a large, odd painting; the towel shelf/bar was located inside the shower. The shiny marble flooring had been updated but the tile inside the tub looked like it was original from the 1970's and was ugly. The updated laminate counter was matched with the original, tacky wallpaper. The sink faucet and drain plug was so old and worn out that it was multi-colored brass and chrome.

At check-in I asked about what I read by previous reviewers, that it cost $10 to get wireless Internet in the rooms, and was told that for 2010 that fee had been waived. I said it seemed odd that even budget hotels now offer free wireless in the rooms and they hadn't until now. I also asked the price of the breakfast buffet, because I knew breakfast wasn't included in the room rate - $10.95 per adult. We went down the road to the Village Inn and had a wonderful breakfast at a great price.

Would I stay here again? No.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2009

On the plus side: nice bedding, large comfortable rooms, clean and modern.

On the negative side: 1) My room had been given to someone else. When I entered, it was already occupied. It took about 1/2 hour to sort this out and I didn't have 1/2 hour to spend sorting this out. 2) The pool is on the main level. When people/kids exit the pool, it would appear that they stand by the elevator and drip water on the marble floor. When exiting the elevator I slipped on some water and had a very hard fall. I severely sprained my ankle and I ended up with back and neck pain. I also broke some of my belongings. Management took an accident report and offered to get me an ice pack, but this was little comfort as I had pain for a week following my fall. I

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2009

I've been staying here since the hotel opened as the Collins Plaza. It is even better now as a Marriott. My most recent stay was four nights in late June and I found the staff accommodating, the food very good (they even made me chicken broth and toast when I was feeling a bit under the weather), and late check out was cheerfully granted. I'm a stickler for cleanliness, and this hotel passes muster. One of the best things is that the windows open, so one can sleep with fresh air which is not possible in many hotels today. There is use of a free computer in the business center if one doesn't want to pay the fee for in-room use.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 April 2009

Usually stay here when in Cedar Rapids. Nice hotel. Clean and comfortable rooms. Not super plush or fancy. The bathtub needed some work and the TV is old-fashioned -- no flat screen HD. Was surprised the WiFi is $10 a day. Love the atrium and the free weekend buffet breakfast. And the kids love the glass elevators and the water feature in the atrium. Probably gets a bit loud for rooms facing atrium, so ask for one in either of the side wings. That's where our room was and noise was not a problem.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family