“Great Young Staff”

The Hotel at Kirkwood Center
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We recently traveled to Cedar Rapids to attend a family gathering. We booked this hotel because it was newer and had decent reviews. The rooms are quite nice, clean and roomy with very comfortable beds. After checking in we found out most of the staff were students at the college of hospitality. Every student we encountered was great. Really friendly staff throughout. Breakfast each morning was very good and a good price. The exercise area in the hotel itself is awful. When we booked we were told the exercise area at the college would be available to us during our stay. Not true, it was closed for the weekend because it was summer break. We ended up running the hill outside of the hotel. Also, they charge you $10 per night to rent a small fridge that never worked well. Outside of these two complaints we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Chicago233
Lee B, General Manager at The Hotel at Kirkwood Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad you were able to experience the excellent service we strive to provide all our guests. Thank you for letting us know about the incorrect information about the recreation center hours and the refrigerator. I will ensure the regenerator is repaired and we have correct information about the rec center at the front desk. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Just stayed one night, but would love to stay again. Rooms were beautiful, beds and bedding luxury quality. Ate at the restaurant in the morning, and everything was delicious and fresh, including fresh pastries that were brought out before the meal. Awesome friendly, helpful staff too.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sugarplum H
Lee B, General Manager at The Hotel at Kirkwood Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

I am glad you were able to enjoy our fresh pastries from our bakery and the meals you ate in our Class Act restaurant. Thank you for taking the time to post a review and we are certainly looking forward to your return trip to the hotel!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Recently traveled to this hotel built by the community college to train their hospitality students. My family planned a get together here. I cannot say enough about the people at this place. The staff was wonderful, the food really special and the facility lovely. Cedar Rapids is not the first place I would think of as a destination but if you are planning an event, I highly recommend this hotel. We are thinking of other reasons our family can get together here.....

Room Tip: All rooms were quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mtmom2
Lee B, General Manager at The Hotel at Kirkwood Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

I am glad you enjoyed our one of a kind Class Act Restaurant and the modern design of The Hotel at Kirkwood. Please let me know if there is another family gathering in the future you would like to have at our location and I would be glad to be of any assistance.

Thank you for taking the time to review The Hotel at Kirkwood.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed here for a work trip and didn't know anything about the hotel prior to arrival. It operates alongside the adjacent college of hospitality, which meant that most of the people who were helping you were student getting graded on their performance. It works and everyone we encountered was delightful.
The rooms were very nice and had a couch with a chaise attached that made spending time in the room extra enjoyable.
The bathroom and shower were made out of beaut file marble tile and the toiletries were really nice. The showers had a rain shower head, but the pressure was lacking and could have been stronger.
The bed was comfortable and the room clean. The only other suggestion I would have is that the remote control buttons stuck and the TV menu was hard to navigate. I ended up turning it off because it took me too long to find a channel and the buttons were impossible.
The food was just okay, but that was true of everywhere I ate in Iowa, sorry Iowans!
Overall it was a great surprise and I can't imagine anywhere better to stay in the area.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Summera3

Thank you for taking the time to review The Hotel at Kirkwood. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to experience our world class customer service at our teaching hotel. Thank you for bringing the buttons on the remote to our attention; it is feedback such as this that helps us create a better experience for our guests in the future.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you in the future on your next trip into the area.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Really great hotel- a surprise in every way! They made my work trip so smooth and easy. All the staff was sincerely nice and friendly and helpful. We used the hotel drivers a lot, and they were really friendly and reliable. The food was really good, and the bar had a great old fashioned!

• Stayed: July 2014
Lee B, General Manager at The Hotel at Kirkwood Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

I am glad to hear our staff was able to make your trip to the area as smooth and easy as possible. This is one of the things we strive as a teaching hotel to accomplish with every guests who stays with us.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of The Hotel at Kirkwood.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I travel all over the world and live in Chicago. The Hotel was unexpected delight. This is something that you would expect to find in Chicago, LA or Hing Kong. My first stay at TheHotel in March of 2013. I was impressed with The Hotel! It reminded me of the W Hotel on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. It has a very clean and metropolitan feel to it!

This is big boost to have Kirkwood Community College students that work and are part of the hotel management and culinary schools, but also for agriculture and horticultural schools that provide much of the food for the restaurant and catering. It is a very sustainable property.

We recently held our family reunion at The Hotel Kirkwood in July of 2014. The location was convient for far away travelers, as well as for those that live in the Midwest.

The Hotel Staff took execellant care of our group of 80 people. The reunion reception was held in the Atrium area. The food was execellant both at the reception, as well as in The Class Act restaurant!!! There were 22 of us that staid the entire weekend at The a Hotel. The rooms are very upscale and beds are so comfortable. There was no noise and you flet relaxed and rested the next morning!

Whether you are traveling for a night, staying for a relaxing weekend or with a large or small group, I would highly recommend staying at such a fine hotel!!!

Room Tip: I have staid in rooms 400 & 408. The corner suites are large and sunny. Each room has floor to...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment about The Hotel at Kirkwood. I am overjoyed to hear you were able to experience our world class hospitality and were able to enjoy our Class Act Resturant!

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. As a teaching hotel we strive to model nothing but best practices for our students. We are looking forward to your return trip to The Hotel at Kirkwood.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

During a business stay I suffered a severe migraine (not a typical ailment for me); the front desk staff and manager made me an ice pillow (vacuum packed bag of ice WITH a head dip in the middle!) to offer aid.

Each staff member genuinely asked if I was ok the next day - was wonderful to feel cared for away from home.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Britt Y

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to review your recent stay at The Hotel at Kirkwood Center. I am glade to hear you were able to experience our world class hospitality.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again at our world class learning laboratory. Again, thank you for your review and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 319-848-8708.