“Been There”

Ushers Ferry Historic Village
Ranked #17 of 47 things to do in Cedar Rapids
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Ushers Ferry is open to the public for touring June-August, Monday-Friday, from 9:00 a.M. - 3:30 P.M. Call for more information on off-season hours and availability. Ushers Ferry Historic Village provides the citizens of Cedar Rapids and Eastern Iowa with a venue for family friendly activities, events and programs that build community from the historical perspective of a small Iowa town at the turn of the 20th century. Located on a ten acre site in beautiful Seminole Valley Park, Ushers Ferry features 20 historic buildings that depict life in a small Iowa town between the years of 1890 and 1910. The village features approximately 20 historic buildings, a picnic pavilion, bandstand, and a Lodge banquet facility capable of seating up to 300 persons at tables and chairs. The village offers school tours, special events and educational programs throughout the year and is available for weddings and corporate or private party rentals.
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I haven't been here since the flood, but it had a great collection of old buildings and artifacts. Different functions take place through out the summer and fall. An enjoyable place to visit.

3  Thank metaphysician

Reviewed 28 February 2013

kind of Improv meets Sergio Leone in the corn. Walk up to the Sheriff and ask questions of him as though you are a citizen of this nasty little river village. He will play along. As long as you stay within the parameters of this ... waiting for God to?.......... you'll have some fun. Ask Sheriff about the ladies of the evening, and if they pay their tribute as they ought.

1  Thank Big-Steve-Smith
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I met my sister there several years ago...They were celebrating a special day or year....While going through the school house & the family home...we were reminicing about so many of the items that we remembered using back in the early 40's etc..As we were leaving the home, A young couple with several young children stopped us and said "THANK YOU" for all the info you provided as we followed you through...The children had been asking "What is this and what is it used for??" and so many we did not know....You helped us learn as well as our children...This made my sister & my day.....that we could help them....

6  Thank Irene C
Reviewed 26 December 2012

For many years I have donated my personal time to assisting at Ushers Ferry and have thoroughly enjoyed this investment of love. From painting historical buildings, to leading the singing of carols in the church at Christmas time, to reading children's stories in the sweltering heat of summer donned in chain mail and tunic, I wish to thank the Ushers Ferry staff for allowing me to share a part of history with others. While times have changed and my personal association with this venue has also undergone transformation, the quaint buildings and historical value of this little village remain the same.

4  Thank Timmer304
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This little historic village is a collection of houses from yesterday - the volunteers are informative and connect the visitor to a past era. It's a bit of a chore to locate, though.

2  Thank Lesley B