“Check-in was a nightmare” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North
Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Ellettsville
“Check-in was a nightmare”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Check-in was at 3 pm. We arrived at 2:30 and were told a room was not available. No biggie, we were early. (We wanted to get there right at check-in so that we could rest before our event because we had been in the car for 7 hours). The front desk clerk told us to have a seat and she would call us when a room was available. There was one older gentleman who tried to check in before us and he was told the same thing. We left and went to a convenience store for snacks and got back at 3. The older gentleman was still waiting so we sat down to wait. After about 10 minutes we noticed the older gentleman was assigned a room and there was a new front desk clerked named Josh. At 3:15 we still did not have a room so we went to the desk to ask when a room would be ready. Josh informed us it should be soon. He asked if we had been in earlier to check-in because the previous desk clerk did not mention it. A few minutes later a couple came to the desk and checked-in. They were immediately given a room. We again approached the desk and asked Josh how long it would be and he stated he would call and ask. At 3:30 a big group walks in and they are immediately assigned several rooms. We again ask Josh why they got rooms and we didn’t and he answered that they did not have the same type of room. I called Hotwire and Wyndham (I am a rewards member) and of course there is nothing they could do about the situation, but Wyndham did call the hotel and inquire about us not having a room. The answer Josh gave them was the room was not clean and they were short staffed. By now it is 3:45 and we had been there since 2:30 waiting on a room. That is 1 hour and 15 minutes to clean the dirty room. At 4:11 we finally check into our room, 1 hour and 11 minutes after the hotels scheduled check-in time. We had to be back on the road at 5 to make it to our event and that gave us no time to rest, just time to clean up. The kicker to this story… We overheard Josh talking to housekeeping and evidently our room was clean, but the computer had not been updated. Never once did Josh apologize for the inconvenience and his attitude was very indifferent each time we inquired about our room. If this room had not been prepaid via Hotwire, we would have found a different hotel. I am considering canceling my Wyndham rewards membership after this experience. We travel frequently and have never once encountered the attitude and incompetence that we encountered on Saturday, October 26 at this hotel. Common sense tells you that when a customer comes to the front desk twice it would be prudent to double check the computer system and talk to housekeeping. Make an effort to please your customer. Hospitality is your business. Don’t let your customers sit in your lobby getting madder by the minute because of an unresolved issue. When we finally got to our room we discovered it was clean and spacious. The extremely thick mattress pad, however, could not hide the fact that the bed was a taco bed and the mattress needed replaced. The tv was a small table top RCA. It worked well enough, but overall with the older tv and taco mattress it is time that this hotel start renovations.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Teron T, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
I have done the retraining with the front desk that I referred to in the email I sent you and hope that the free nights stay I extended will give us the opportunity to provide you the level of customer service we strive for here at the Hawthorn Suites. We appreciate your feed back and continue to grow as a staff and property.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Have stayed at this hotel three times. Pros: Rooms are well appointed and large. Good value for the price. Good breakfast. Cons: TV in bedroom was not working. Cobwebs above all three of the windows. Have to sign a no partying agreement to check in, which makes me wonder about staying there in the future. I don't have hotel parties, but wonder why they have such a problem that I must sign an agreement.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank You for your feedback we have ordered new televisions to replace the one in that bedroom and look forward to you giving us a chance to show our improvements
Bettendorf, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Employees at this hotel could care less about their customers. My family was treated like crap from the moment we got there and were asked to leave because of speaking to the manager about one of his rude employees. Teron Townsend the supposed manager who was wearing sweatpants when he came to talk to us to hear our complaint must have been dating the front desk girl Brittany or something because as soon as he heard our complaint was about her he immediately decided to ask us to leave the hotel where my whole family's wedding party was staying. He actually got on the phone with the police to escort my mother-in-law, my wife, my 3 children who are all under 5 and myself out of the hotel. He claims this was because my wife used the term psycho about one of his employees. She said this in reference to her because she was stunned on how rude she was being to her guests and she was becoming crazy to us ( or some might say psycho). Teron was never cussed at or nor did my family every raise their voices. I am astonished at the response Teron wrote to my wife's review of this hotel and cannot believe he still has a job. Teron needs to learn some managerial skills quick otherwise he will not go far in his career. I hope Teron and Brittany live happily ever after and can find peace with themselves in treating my family like trash. My wife as a store manager herself would like to pass on some advice to Teron about handling customer complaints. When a customer has a complaint you 1st listen and don't try to talk over them, second you apologize no matter what it is for and thirdly you try to solve the customers issue. You do not talk over the customer before they haven't even explained to you their problem and do not jump to extreme conclusions like kicking a family out of a hotel because they had a complaint on your employees. The most frustrating issue is that Teron felt it necessary to call the police on my family when we were not causing any ruckus at all and were leaving as shocked as we were that we were treated like that. I'm glad he felt it necessary to waste the police time over an issue like this, I would of loved to see their reaction when they show up to the hotel to find out what had happened. I believe they would of been on here reporting him like we are. So if you would like to be treated like crap and have terrible customer service this is the hotel for you! Good Luck! Don't complain on anything or you will be kicked to the curb like we were!

Bettendorf, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

My daughter and I had a complaint about a rude desk clerk. We were
informed by the manager that the desk clerk had worked there for
2 years without a complaint. He started yelling at us & my 3
grandchildren. He told us that he was going to invoke his right
to not serve us & asked us to leave the hotel. He then offered
to call the police to escort us all out. I was coming to enjoy my
brother’s wedding but had to deal with this unpleasantness.
The wedding party was all staying there. I have never in my
life been treated like that and asked to leave a hotel. Luckily
we found a nice hotel down the street.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Teron T, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
I am happy you found a hotel that better suited your needs.
Bettendorf, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Teron needs to learn some managerial skills. My mother and I had a complaint on the front desk clerk Brittany! When we explained to Teron what happened he told us Brittany had worked there for 2 years without a complaint. As a customer I don't care what her past record is, I just wanted to the manager to acknowledge that she was rude to us and to take ownership and apologize. Well instead of doing his job he started yelling at us and my 3 children under the age of 4 and told us that he was going to invoke his right to not serve us and asked us to leave the hotel. He then offered to call the police to escort my mother, my husband, my 3 small children and myself. I am absolutely flabergasted that he went to this extreme 1st of all. My uncle's weddding party was all staying in this hotel and now we would have to find another. Teron needs to take some classes on managing or find a new job. He obviously does not know how to handle customer complaints in a calm manner or with the correct actions. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone! What terrible employees!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
I am glad you found other accommodations that better suite your needs. As a rule of thumb once a guest swears at our employees and uses terms like idiot and psycho we no longer are comfortable with their presence at our property. We are very concious of the fact that credit cards are misused and stolen and that is why we didnt check someone into a room under a credit card that was not present at check in. We have this proceedure in place to protect the hotel and our guest. I'm sorry if you dont agree.