Check-in was at 3 pm. We arrived at 2:30 and were told a room was not available. No biggie, we were early. (We wanted to get there right at check-in so that we could rest before our event because we had been in the car for 7 hours). The front desk clerk told us to have a seat and she would call us when a room was available. There was one older gentleman who tried to check in before us and he was told the same thing. We left and went to a convenience store for snacks and got back at 3. The older gentleman was still waiting so we sat down to wait. After about 10 minutes we noticed the older gentleman was assigned a room and there was a new front desk clerked named Josh. At 3:15 we still did not have a room so we went to the desk to ask when a room would be ready. Josh informed us it should be soon. He asked if we had been in earlier to check-in because the previous desk clerk did not mention it. A few minutes later a couple came to the desk and checked-in. They were immediately given a room. We again approached the desk and asked Josh how long it would be and he stated he would call and ask. At 3:30 a big group walks in and they are immediately assigned several rooms. We again ask Josh why they got rooms and we didn’t and he answered that they did not have the same type of room. I called Hotwire and Wyndham (I am a rewards member) and of course there is nothing they could do about the situation, but Wyndham did call the hotel and inquire about us not having a room. The answer Josh gave them was the room was not clean and they were short staffed. By now it is 3:45 and we had been there since 2:30 waiting on a room. That is 1 hour and 15 minutes to clean the dirty room. At 4:11 we finally check into our room, 1 hour and 11 minutes after the hotels scheduled check-in time. We had to be back on the road at 5 to make it to our event and that gave us no time to rest, just time to clean up. The kicker to this story… We overheard Josh talking to housekeeping and evidently our room was clean, but the computer had not been updated. Never once did Josh apologize for the inconvenience and his attitude was very indifferent each time we inquired about our room. If this room had not been prepaid via Hotwire, we would have found a different hotel. I am considering canceling my Wyndham rewards membership after this experience. We travel frequently and have never once encountered the attitude and incompetence that we encountered on Saturday, October 26 at this hotel. Common sense tells you that when a customer comes to the front desk twice it would be prudent to double check the computer system and talk to housekeeping. Make an effort to please your customer. Hospitality is your business. Don’t let your customers sit in your lobby getting madder by the minute because of an unresolved issue. When we finally got to our room we discovered it was clean and spacious. The extremely thick mattress pad, however, could not hide the fact that the bed was a taco bed and the mattress needed replaced. The tv was a small table top RCA. It worked well enough, but overall with the older tv and taco mattress it is time that this hotel start renovations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Settle in nicely with the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North. We are an upscale, ultra modern, extended stay, four story hotel with 82 Studio and One Bedroom Suites, plus meeting facilities, business center, indoor pool and whirlpool. Our signature amenities include full hot breakfast buffet daily and a Monday through Thursday evening managers reception. Here at the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson we have all the comforts of home, and then some. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Cedar Rapids Hotel Cedar Rapids
- Hawthorn Suites Cedar Rapids
- Cedar Rapids Hawthorn Suites
- Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North Iowa