I stayed here for two nights while on a business trip. I chose Hawthorne Suites over the Marriott because of their free hot breakfast and evening reception. Pictures of the room online looked great as well. The breakfast was terrible. Scrambled eggs were rubbery, bacon was so salty I could not eat it, potatoes had no taste, and the mini muffins were very stale. I realize the food was free, but it was terrible and had no flavor at all. I have eaten the free breakfast at Embassy Suites in other states and it has always been great. The evening reception was very poor as well - taco meat was inedible and the soup offered the first night was as well. The small convenience store did not have bottled water and was out of snack choices. The front desk person said that they had been very busy over the Thanksgiving holiday. There is no excuse for not restocking when people are checking into a hotel the next week. We went to two different floors vending machines to find available bottles of water.
The tub was so clogged that when we took showers, we ended up standing in six inches of dirty water that took 20 minutes to drain. We did let the front desk know and they said they would have to "try to use Drano again." Apparently, others complained as well. They need a plumber to unclog that tub. That heater in the room was extremely poor, and barely warmed up the room. The bathroom was frigid and had no heating at all. Pillows like rocks made it difficult to sleep. I had wanted to make coffee the first morning and they had neglected to leave any in the room. I travel a lot on my job, and this is probably one of the worst hotels I have stayed in. The front desk people were professional and very nice. I think the problem is obviously that management is not doing the job that they should be doing.
As far as safety, the side door that was supposed to be opened with a card key, had a lock that did not work. Anyone couldn't access the hotel from this door and could not be seen from the front desk.
Maybe the quality has gone downhill since there are some good good reviews on trip advisor. I would suggest if you are looking for a hotel in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa area, that you look elsewhere. The only reason I did not check out after one night was because I had scheduled job interviews with candidates the following day in the lobby and was forced to stay over a second night. Won't do it again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Settle in nicely with the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North. We are an upscale, ultra modern, extended stay, four story hotel with 82 Studio and One Bedroom Suites, plus meeting facilities, business center, indoor pool and whirlpool. Our signature amenities include full hot breakfast buffet daily and a Monday through Thursday evening managers reception. Here at the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson we have all the comforts of home, and then some. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Cedar Rapids Hotel Cedar Rapids
- Hawthorn Suites Cedar Rapids
- Cedar Rapids Hawthorn Suites
- Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North Iowa