“Next time - Nope!”

Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Houston, Texas
“Next time - Nope!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have stayed at other Country Inn & Suites hotels before so used my reward points (with additional cash). This stay was for 5 nights. My first room - note I said first room - was a major disappointment. It started off with carpeting that had definitely not been vacuumed & some unknown dried pink, sticky substance on the bathroom countertop. The furniture is outdated and the room is dingy looking. It needs a facelift! I went to get ice and by the icemaker was a big stack of dirty towels on the floor and a trash can in the corner that was full and overflowing. This was on a Thursday night (maybe to be expected on a busy Saturday?). In the middle of the night, the telephone would randomly ring once and then nothing. I called the front desk and was told to try to unplug it and plug it back in. In the morning, I tried to slide the glass closet door and the glass almost fell out. I told the front desk that either I needed another "updated" room or I would find another hotel. The breakfast was ok, but there were no glasses for juice and when I inquired to the woman handling the setup, she said "I'm getting them washed and back out here as fast as I can". Ok..... whatever. When I returned later, the hotel had moved me to a different (larger) room. Similiar furnishings - and seemed cleaner. When i was leaving for the following day, a housekeeper behind the front desk asked if I wanted my room serviced. I said yes. I dont think the sheets were changed and the bed pillows were tossed to the head of the bed with no care to arrange nicely. Ok.... whatever. To top it off, this hotel allows dogs and people randomly walk through the lobby with dogs - sometimes 2 or 3. I prefer not to sleep with other's dog's hair so will find a different hotel next time. I like dogs... but considering the fact that this hotel didnt seem that clean to me, next time I will pass on this one.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the interstate highway.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North, responded to this review, 1 August 2014

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Charlottesville VA
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Two positives for this hotel, nice staff and comfortable bed. Otherwise, a rather unpleasant place. We stayed in a one bedroom suite. The kitchen/living room area was dreary and dim with a sofa and chair covered in what felt like plasticized covered cardboard. The kitchen area had a full sized fridge, microwave and dishwasher but there was NOTHING in the cabinets or drawers. No flatware, dishes, cups, just a couple of styrofoam cups for the coffee maker. No cups in in bathroom, either. The staff were very helpful with some plastic flatware. The place was sandwiched in between car dealers and industrial whatever. I cannot recommend this place unless you are desperate.

Room Tip: get a room at another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards.
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

When we arrived on May 12th we were told we would be "walked" to another hotel. That really means you must drive to the other hotel. Country Inn said we would not be charged for the night due to no ooms were ready. This did not happen. Because we made the reservation online we were not refunded. So instead we had to stay in a less quality hotel with no whirlpool. It was stressful and time consuming and then we still had to pay. Apparently their word means nothing.

• Stayed May 2014
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services.

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 3 June 2014

From the time that I pulled in the parking lot to the time that I left, the staff did their best to serve me and my wife. They greeted us from outside of the building, filled our water bottles from the kitchen (which required a personal trip), helped us turn on the hot tub without us having to ask, and talked with us on various occassions. This hotel also gives you a free supper Monday - Thursday!!!! The free supper is in addition to a free breakfast every day. The chef was very good and pleasant as well. The room was huge and had everything they said it would. It definitely met our expectations. Our stay was incredibly relaxing and the service was excellent! Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Primghar, Iowa
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I booked this trip online at the Country Inn and Suites website. I booked a whirlpool suite room. We were riding a motorcycle all day and that was the type of room we were looking for. Upon arrival, we were told that they didn't have that type of room available. Not only do they not have whirlpool suite rooms, only a jetted tub room, but they changed our reservation without telling us to a fireplace room. The desk clerk was pretty rude and offered no explanation at all, just that they didn't have that room I would have to talk to the desk manager in the am.
I did talk to the front desk manager in the am, still with no luck at all. No compensation was offered at all. I didn't want a free room, just what I had booked. She said it isn't her fault, the website does it. Well, you work for this chain, deal with it! SHe said I have to book directly with them to get the correct room! Really, in this day we all book online. She should not be in management.
On the other notes, the hotel is as expected. Pretty nice, good bed, good breakfast. We did have a fireplace suite, we didn't use that room at all. It looked very nice. The actual hotel was not the problem at all, just the way management handles the reservation.

Room Tip: The front desk manager says you have to call them directly to make sure you get the room you reserve...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We were here for a recent family funeral. The hotel had recently converted to a Country Inn and was still going through growing pains. The property itself is lovely, the rooms are beautifully furnished and the lobby is fabulous. The staff was extremely accommodating to our family and allowed us to use the breakfast area to gather for games, pizza and even a family meal we had put together. We had about a dozen rooms and family members from one end of the country to the other were present. We cannot say enough about the staff and their kindness to us. The breakfast was extremely good, better on the weekday than on the weekend though. Clearly they cater to the business traveler which is fine. We had a few missteps with the housekeeping staff missing one room for the entirety of the stay and another room on the first day. They apologized and provided the needed towels when it was discovered after we returned from the funeral and the housekeeping staff was already gone. Overall, it was a great visit and we would highly recommend this property to anyone who needs to be in the area.

Room Tip: There are many different room layouts, be sure to tell them how many in your party and what your nee...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This experience was a disaster from start to finish. We were coming from 3.5 hrs away for a soccer tournament and our entire group of 11 families plus some of our other teams were required to stay at this hotel. We all made our reservations weeks/months in advance. My original reservation was for a 2 Q suite w fireplace but was changed to a 1 Q room sometime prior to our arrival. I even double checked the booking for our confirmation # and printed out the details right after booking. Our team mom realized the mistakes when trying to confirm rooms the day before we were travelling. Only one of our rooms was correct yet no one had let any of us know that they were changing our rooms. How is that okay? Many of us were changed from rooms with multiple beds into single bed rooms. How are 4 people supposed to sleep in a room with one queen bed??? Explanation, "the person that made those reservations no longer works here." Then we're supposed to feel better because most of the rooms have sleeper sofas. I reserved a room with two beds for a reason, and I DO NOT want to sleep on a sleeper sofa. If I had known this in advance we would have booked rooms elsewhere. Of course by the time this was realized, all other rooms in this hotel were booked so Travis promised us over the phone a roll away bed. So we check in Friday night and was told upon arrival by Josh that our room would not fit a roll away. Supposedly "Travis doesn't know." Luckily another team mate gave up their room for us, otherwise I don't know what we would have done. Honestly, it felt like a bait and switch type scheme. We were promised one thing and then given another with absolutely no option. All the other hotels in the area were booked for the tournament and marathon. We arrived to our room to find the door propped open and it was a sauna inside. Seriously, close to 80 degrees. So we go to turn the air on and find out the air conditioner in the main room of suite doesn't work! My husband calls to the front desk and we are told, "We'll have someone look at that tomorrow." So basically we are paying for a suite and can't even use the 'suite' part because it is too hot! Plus we couldn't use the pullout couch that night (again, too hot in that area). As if that weren't enough, there was mold in the shower, the working air conditioner in the bedroom blew chucks of black onto the bed, the toilet ran all night long, and the bedroom door was damaged (by what I assume was a dog locked in the bedroom. Housekeeping cleaned our room the second day and took our dirty towels but didn't leave us any clean ones. When we asked for towels we were told that the hotel had "run out". Seriously??? You can't even make this stuff up! Some of the parents and kids were hanging out in the lounge area later that night watching the baseball game and were told very rudely to "control those kids" and that "you'll be sorry if I have to have you sign these forms because the next step is kicking you out." Oh yes, and we were also told by this rude front desk clerk that "the lobby closes at 10pm". My two kids were not down there but he was talking about a small group of 11 year old girls sitting around a table talking. They weren't running up and down the hallways or otherwise being loud at all! When a parent approached a manager the next day to clarify what time the pool and lobby closed she seemed infuriated and said that the lobby never closes and that we could be down there as late as we wanted and she would have a discussion with that worker. The extremely unfortunate thing is that most all of these problems are personnel related or very topical cleaning/maintenance issues. The facility itself (suite, pool, lobby area) were overall nice and large but the experience was HORRIBLE!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jen_N_Matt_Jones
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids North, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. Your comments have been shared with management to ensure these types of situations do not arise in the future.