“Best of the trip...”

Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Best of the trip...”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

After six days of touring and six nights of hotels, the Fairfield Inn was our last stop. For days I heard that we should change our reservation to another hotel based upon comments made by inlaws who live in town. I could not have been more pleased to prove them wrong. The Fairfield was the best stay of our vacation. New, friendly, clean, great breakfast... it proved to be a great deal. This is a prime example as to why I trust TripAdvisor to be a reliable source for travel reviews - its certainly more reliable than the inlaws.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank WiTraveler17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
homewood, Il
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We just spent two evenings at the Fairfield Inn. The hotel is new, modern and very clean. Perfect location for a trip to watch the Kernel's.
The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful.
Thank you to Rachel, Danielle and Laurie

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank banachi
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Pros: Location, Service, Facility, Amenities
Cons: They didn't tuck me in

In all seriousness, the expectations were all met or exceeded. If I asked them to tuck me in they probably would have. I was always welcomed with a smile, the building was in great condition, the price was right. Everything I could have wanted and more.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Davenport
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I travel on business regularly and always stay at Marriott Properities. I have stayed at the Fairfield several times and not had an problems until now. I had a reservation for 7/9/14 and arrived at 10:15 PM after driving a few hours to get here only to be told "we had unexpected stay overs and don't have a room for you. You can stay at the Clarion just up the street". Apologizes we're offered but I was also told "this happen all the time" however true that is it didn't make me feel any better about the situation. If I wanted to stay at Clarion I would have made a reservation with them but wanted the quality room that I've always enjoyed at various Martiott Properities. When I make a reservation I expect my reservation to mean something. I left my home knowing I had a reservation with Marriott, but I was basically told we don't appreciate your business enough to have a room for you. How do you think that makes me feel about my Marriott rewards program? Perhaps I need to find a brand that truly appreciates their customers. This made me feel like an unappreciated commodity.

What made this worse is when I checked in at the Clarion, I asked the clerk how often they provide rooms for Fairfield customers who got bumped. She said five or six a week during her shifts! That tells me that there's either a management issue at the Fairfield or perhaps both properties have the same ownership and are simply trying to capture as many "Marriott" guests as they can, even though they only have a limited
number of rooms at the Fairfield to offer.

Regarding the Clarion, I've never stayed at one of their properties. The entire building was a bit run down and had a kind of stale smell. The room wasn't bad, the King size bed was comfortable but what really bothered me was the refrigerator. It was so loud every time it cycled on it woke me up. Not the ideal situation when I'm trying to sleep before an important meeting in the morning.

I travel to Cedar Rapids regularly but will think twice before staying at the Fairfield again. I prefer to be appreciated as a customer.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Regwa
CIDCR_GM, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Cedar Rapids, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Regwa-

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I can understand your frustration and want to let you know that this type of problem rarely occurs at our property. We had several rooms extend their stay therefore creating a need for us to find other accomodations for some of our guests that were due to arrive that day. The only hotel in our area that would be considered comparible to us that had rooms available was the Clarion. (We are not affliated with them.) I am sorry that your stay with them wasn't better. We did cover the charges for your room that evening and we also made sure that all of your Marriott Rewards points were added to your account.
We look forward to your return at our property. Please feel free to contact me directly if you need anything.

Jeri Schrader
Front Office Manager
Fairfield Inn and Suites
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I traveled to Cedar Rapids for business and I am glad I chose the Fairfield Inn & Suites. The staff was very friendly. They went above and beyond! Also, the room was very nice and clean. This looks like it is the best hotel in the area, by far.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Lockhart, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Will definitely stay here again. Clean, modern, great staff at front desk and breakfast counter. Breakfast bar had good standard breakfast and was well attended. Staff was helpful with directions and assisting our business needs. Overall good value.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Nevada
Reviewed 18 June 2014

this was our third annual stay to visit grandsons in Cedar Rapids. The. Employees here are ALL friendly and exceptional in providing service that at times can be above and beyond normal expectations. They always take that extra step and THINK ahead! Anticipate guest's needs and wants! The property in in excellent condition and very well maintained. Free breakfast is well done and staffed by very friendly individuals. We don't even consider any other hotel in Cedar Rapids and plan on returning next year.

Room Tip: There are really no bad rooms, just upgrades to king suites which are very nice.