“Nice Stay”

Ranked #24 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Wall Lake, Iowa
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Nice hotel -front desk staff was very accommodating on Friday night when we got there. The gal on Saturday and Sunday didn't seem like she really liked her job-I told her the coffee was out and seemed she really didn't want to have to take care of it. Breakfast was very good. Our room needed some updating-carpet was stained and the grout in the tile was broken in places. Our floor had lots of creeking going on and we hoped we weren't bothering anyone below. The walls are pretty thin as we could hear the person next door snoring. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay again. Cost of the room was very reasonable. We did not get time to use the pool/whirlpool.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Online_Relations12, Public Relations Manager at Mainstay Suites Cedar Rapids, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Thanks for the review, enjoystraveling005!

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be friendly. Keep in mind we're always updating the furniture and amenities in our rooms, so it may be totally different during your next visit. We hope to see you again!

Best,
Sam, on behalf of MainStay Suites Cedar Rapids

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
MORRISON
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Both of my wife's adult children live in Cedar Rapids, and her daughter was unable to travel to our house in a small town in northwest Illinois to celebrate Christmas, which is our annual tradition. So my wife, my mother-in-law, and I decided to take our Christmas festivities to Cedar Rapids. The MainStay Suites was the perfect place for us to celebrate the holiday and enjoy each other's company. The front desk staff could not have been any more accommodating to my many requests, and made me feel like I was the most important guest at their facility. I am certain that they treat all their guests that way. Our room was perfect for the eight of us to enjoy Christmas dinner together and to play Mexican Train Dominoes and Apples To Apples. I highly recommend MainStay Suites and will definitely return there on our next visit to Cedar Rapids. The breakfast they offer includes many hot items, and their pool and hot tub both looked very inviting, although we did not take the time to enjoy either of them. The carpeting in our room could stand to be replaced, and it would have been nice to have a recliner in our room, but overall the MainStay offers an outstanding stay for the price and a staff that is second to none.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dubuque
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I traveled to Cedar Rapids on business and stayed at the MainStay. I love the kitchen area as I like to go back from my meeting and relax and not have to go out to eat. They didn't do any housekeeping except by request which was perfect to me!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mssdbq
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 May 2012

If you plan to be in Cedar Rapids for a week or more, you will find the rooms here clean and a fair value. However don't expect any frills or even any maid service to clean the room, bring fresh towels, empty trash, etc. How can request fresh towels at the front desk, however. There is a clean pool, however the hot tub does not function properly - was told they are "waiting for a part". As with most things, you will get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This hotel was very clean. The rooms have a full size frig and stovetop so I didn't have to eat out. The staff was very friendly and the price was great. I would definately recommend this hotel if you are in the area.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Kelsey C
Chicago
Reviewed 22 February 2010

This hotel has a stove, refrigerator and dishwasher with dishes. I went to the grocery store, got a few things and the entire time I was there, was able to save the money I would have spent eating out. They do have breakfast like everyone else but since I like to work while I eat so I can get home sooner, this place was perfect for me. Next time I'll bring food from home.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Imelda74
Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 January 2010

I stayed at the Mainstay Suites in Cedar Rapids Iowa because the Hampton Inn was fully booked. While Mainstay Suites gives you a kitchenette, I will never stay there again unless the Hampton is booked. The problems are:
1. the layout of the room -- The bed is jammed in between the outer wall and the closet.
2. You can barely get the closet doors open
3. The closet doors are fully mirrored and since these show the full length of the bed, it was just strange.
4. There was no desk, but there was a counter that was too close to the kitchen area. When sitting in the 'desk' chair, your back is jammed up against the counter/sink/stove of the kitchen area.
5. The counter was too tall and the chair could not be raised up high enough to be comfortable to work. When sitting on the chair, the counter was so high that my hand was raised to shoulder level to move the mouse around to work my laptop - totally uncomfortable.
6. The TV was at right angles to the bed and the couch in the room and was small so you couldn't see the picture very well from the counter where you are supposed to work.
and then.
7. There was no wireless internet. The wire forced you to sit at the counter/chair that was totally uncomfortable.

I would not recommend this chain.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank stewartpiper
ia089, General Manager at Mainstay Suites Cedar Rapids, responded to this review, 16 December 2010
Dear Valued Customer;

I am truly sorry that we were unable to offer you the accomodations that you needed. We do have several room styles to choose from and my apologies if this was never told to you. I do hope that if you return to our area, you might stop by and introduce yourself to me as I am the new General Manager. I would love to give you a tour of some of our other room selections to see if we would have a more comfortable fit for you during your travels.

Warmest Regards!