“Expensive, but a fun treat.”

Planet X Family Fun Center
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Expensive, but a fun treat.”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My kids are now 11, so I felt comfortable letting them play while I worked from my laptop. There are open tables near the activity and just outside the fun zone for more peace and quiet. They have arcade games, mini golf, rock climbing, trampolines, bumper cars, laser tag, pretty good pizza and ice cream. The day we were there was quiet, so the kids were able to move from one activity to another without waiting. I have seen that it gets busy some days - for the price, I would avoid busy days.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank Anne J

Cincinnati, oh
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fun for kids, helpful staff”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Our kids ages four to ten had a blast with grandparents. There are no height or age requirements except for the soft playground (under 12 only) so everyone participated and had fun. They offer a Rock wall, a small mini golf, giant bumper cars, arcade games, laser tag, small trampolines for basketball, and the option to buy pizza and ice cream. It's not a huge place but it's fun for an hour or two easily.

1 Thank Kate M
Hazel Green, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wish we had one in Dubuque”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We went on a thursday noon with our 5 and 7 year old, had the place to ourselves. Pizza was way beyond expectations, the owner and a coworker was there installing 4 new machines, were friendly and courteous. Contrary to other reviews, the place was clean and well maintained. We will definitily be going back. Best value for $ within 100 miles of Dubuque. Our kids loved it.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Linda K
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Horrible”
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

This place is the worst kids place I have ever been too. Dont waste your time or money. Half the games dont work. You spend most of your time getting staff to give you back tokens. Better off pushing the bumper cars yourself. Would not return here.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank supercurl_20
Iowa City, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“manager argued with me!”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I just got back from Planet X and I will never go there again. I had been to the old CR location and had a great time, so for my birthday I got some friends together to play laser tag and have some kid style fun. I was very disappointed. The only part of our trip that was fun was the laser tag, however, even there, the employee was unhelpful in our adventure. One of our members was shooting backwards for half the time and didn't realize it and another one had her gun hooked to the vest without realizing that it unhooks. If the employee would have simply been attentive that would not have been an issue for us. However, we did enjoy it, though the old location's laser tag area was better.
Next up we went to play bumper cars. When we came in, we each bought the unlimited one hour pass with ten tokens. That means we have one hour to play, right? So is it wrong for us to be annoyed that we had to wait ten mins before we finally went and found someone to turn it on for us? When we are paying for a timed event and are having to wait for those we pay, I can't help but feel that we are not getting what we paid for. During our hour of unlimited play this happened to us, twice. I don't think this is an ok business practice, especially with what else we had to go through.
Next up, one of our group members decided to try rock climbing and had a great time doing so. While I was watching him climb the rock I wanted to take some pictures, so I went up on the soft playground to get a better angle. Being on the soft playground is part of the unlimted play package that we had paid for, so imagine my suprise when an employee quickly told me that only those who are 12 and under can be in the playground (why couldn't they have responded so quickly when we wanted to do the bumper cars?). I had no problem leaving the playground and understand if it is a safety issue, however, when paying for the package that clearly states that this is part of the deal, I would have liked to have been informed by an employee or even on the sign that one needs to be under twelve to do this certain activity.
Next up, we went to spend our tokens, (being thoroughly annoyed at our one hour of play time). Well, we were in for a surprise! Most of the machines didn't work. It's so frustrating to put money into tokens and then have the machines that the tokens are made for not work yet still take our money. I was first made aware of this when one of our group members told me that the machine had ripped him off. I asked which machine and if he had spoken with the employees about it. He told me that when he spoke with an employee he was told that the machine does that often and that the one next to it never gave any of the tickets that the screen says is won, then proceeded to tell him that because the machine wouldn't give him tickets there was simply nothing he, the employee, would do. Basically, making my group member feel as though the situation doesn't matter and giving horrible customer service. I then went with another group member to play the basketball in back. The sign clearly states two tokens, but I had to put three in to make it work. My friend and I were playing both machines at the same time and chose the moving hoop version of the game. Guess what? neither hoop moved. at all. This became even more frustrating as the balls became stuck between the hoop and the basket. I then went to play the ice ball game, which I am not very good at, but enjoy playing. I was very appalled when the screen said that I had three more balls left to play and I wasn't given those balls to play. Having only a few tokens left i went to play the game with the large spinning wheel that has a fish on it. Before I put the token in one of my group members told me that he had over heard employees talking about how that machine doesn't pay out the amount of tickets that it hits. I was very annoyed at this point. We went to put our tickets into the ticket counter, where another customer was feeding his tickets into the machine, the machine actually turned off and he had to rock it to make the receipt come out for him to receive his prize. At this point, everyone in our group was angry and frustrated. We came here to play and have a good time, but instead we were treated to machines that don't work and employees not giving the attention that we deserved.
The icing on the cake came when i asked to speak with the manager. I believe his name was Dave. This young man spent ten minutes arguing with me, trying to tell me why it was ok for the machines to work the way they are supposed to. He explained to me that when our first group member had spoken with him he told the group member that just because the machine shows that he won tickets doesn't mean he actually does because the sensor doesn't line up. He thought that was actually ok and that my group member was wrong to be upset, because the sensor said he didn't win, regardless of what the machine said. He also told me that he was aware that the hoops on the basketball machines didn't move and they simply didn't know how to fix them. When I explained about the ice ball game he told me that the object of the game is to hit the balls into the cups with scores on them. When you don't get the balls into those cups the sensor's don't sense that you threw the ball so they don't count the balls as having been thrown, however, the lower part of the machine counts it. So when the machine says you still have three balls left but doesn't give it to you, it's because you didn't put the balls into the scoring buckets. I told him that it seems like a machine malfunction and that it isn't ok for a machine to tell me that I have balls left but not give them to me. He said it's not a malfunction, because they knew about this issue. He also told me that coming to the arcade is like playing a penny slot, you don't know if you are going to win or not. I told him that wasn't an accurate comparison because his machines show me and my group members actually winning, but aren't giving us the tickets or that they simply or working accurately. He continued to argue with me about how I was wrong in being annoyed with this. I finally told him that I was a dissatisfied customer and wanted to know what he, as the manager was going to do about it, beyond argue with me. He said he was going to call his boss and went into the back. He came back and told me that his boss said he could give us tokens and tell us which machines were more "successful." or give us a gift certificate for tokens. I told him that wouldn't work for us, we don't want to play with broken machines. I told him that we would settle with playing another round of laser tag. For you, he asked? No, for all seven of our group members. He had to call and ask if that was ok with his boss.
I will never again go to your establishment, where not only was the entertainment shoddy and/or broken but the customer service was appalling

Visited August 2013