“A cheap stay, so don't expect great”

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This was a cheap place to stay with indications at every turn. Only one staff person to check in a steady stream late afternoon. She tried hard, but it was obviously overwhelming. Had to go to the counter twice later on to request additional pillows as the ones on the bed are super-thin. Couldn't find anybody after ringing the bell several times, came back later and learned they didn't have any extra pillows. She did, however, improvise the best she could and provided a folded blanket. The fault wasn't hers, it is management for understaffing, having poor bedding and not enough.

Room was adequate and matched the cheap price.

Breakfast was a mess with way too many people trying to get through the small space. Big bottleneck was having only one waffle maker. The line was constant and it held up the too few tables that would otherwise clear for additional guests. Simple solution that, again, belongs to management. My wife was put off by the dry cereal dispensers identifying name brands with logos and box fronts (Honey Nut Cheerios) but actually dispensing poor quality generics. But, again, it was a cheap stay and this is what you get.

For the money, it's okay. Not worth paying more than $85 a night.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Amanda M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

I do sincerely apologize if your stay was not what you expected. We were not very busy and then out of no where we had 2 groups book and unfortunately I was not able to get as much additional staff in to assist as I would have liked. I was here on Saturday helping and had breakfast help on Sunday but more was needed. We will be hiring more staff for times like this. We also have started to remodel the hotel and we will be getting new linens, pillows and beds for our rooms. So you will see a better hotel with the changes that are coming. Our breakfast room gets very full when we are busy and I have ordered an additional waffle iron on Monday for busy times I am just waiting for it to arrive. Once again I do apologize that your stay was not what you expected. With comments from our guests is how we learn to improve and change. So I thank you for your comments. I hope that in the future you will provide us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

This hotel was a clean, secure place to stay in Cedar Rapids. The breakfast was the one of the best free hotel breakfasts I've had! This is mainly because they had homemade muffins along with the usual fare. Yum!

The shower drained well, everything looked clean, the shower drained well, and the lobby was pretty. The hotel is located in an uncrowded area of the city.

There was a major area of plaster damage by the a/c, but it didn't affect anything. There is no refrigerator in the room. I would have loved a wastebasket in the bathroom. The internet wasn't working the night we were there, but the desk clerk was pleasant, and the manager later contacted me and gave me a small refund because of the lack of internet.

I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Amanda M, Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Cedar Rapids AmericInn. We want our guests to feel like they are at home when they are away from home. We are proud of our breakfast selection and it is great that you found what you liked.

I apologize that you were having issues with the internet during your stay. I hope the refund I provided helped. We will be looking into what we can do to make sure our guests do not have issues with the internet.

I do apologize if you room had some drywall repair issues. I can tell you that we will be having the entire hotel repainted very soon, from the common areas to the rooms and repairing the drywall issues in the walls is something that will be done prior to the painting.

We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future and Welcome to the End of the Day.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stayed in one of the King Suites on a Thursday night. The hotel was clean and the breakfast was what one would normally expect at any Americinn.

The cost of the hotel was good, making it a good value. We selected the hotel based on reviews here on Tripadvisor which were pretty accurate. The construction of the hotel made the room very quiet, which was nice.

The bed could have used a heavier blanket, the bathroom was clean, parking and location were very convenient .

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Amanda M, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are going to be updating our bedding package very soon. I hope that when you are in the Cedar Rapids area again you will stay with us again. Welcome to the end of the day.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

Stayed here one night due to an early flight the next day.The room was large, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was clean as well. The staff was very helpful and helped us find a great restaurant for dinner. I have stayed in many budget airport hotels around the country and this is one of the best ones.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for one week due to truck breakdown. The staff at this hotel have been more than commendating. They have gone above and beyond any expectations with my situation. I appreciate all they have done. If I'm ever in this area needing a place to stay, I have no need to look elsewhere. Everything I need is right here. THANK YOU for all you've done.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We stayed in a hot tub room 2 nights and used the pool room once. Excellent but we were in too great a hurry to bring the laptop. Will definitely stay again althought the hot tub is not necessary the spa is better !

Room Tip: use elevator if you have had a stroke it helps