“Excellent experience!”

Popoli Ristorante & Sullivans Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Popoli Ristorante & Sullivans Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 427 Restaurants in Cedar Rapids
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This was a pleasant experience from the time we walked into the doors. It’s an interesting space, a former bank, so there is seating in the vault and in the board room. This space was under water in the flood of 2008 but has been very nicely restored.
We like to chat up the bartender when going to a new place. They can tell you the best (and if you push, the worst) from the menu. Mickey was quite nice, but they had a big party in a private room who apparently all ordered cocktails needing to be mixed, shaken and strained into glasses. We had an appetizer at the bar, bruschette (that’s the plural of bruschetta) with date jam, *****
We went to our table. Our server, Brandon, was very attentive. I ordered a beet salad (because my husband doesn’t like them and I do, so I often order them when eating out and the preparation looks good). Hubby got ****. Both made us happy. For the main course, I had the veal tenderloin. I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t think I’ve ever had veal tenderloin. It came with *** and was a real treat. Hubby had ***. When we were almost finished with our first course, the server came to apologize that the big party had ordered, and our main course might be a little delayed. YAY. We hate to be rushed when we’re out for dinner, especially out of town when we have only a hotel room to look forward to.
This was, all in all, a very agreeable dinner in all aspects. Surprising that it’s only been open for a couple of months, and that the chef was a home town guy that had been around a lot after his culinary school training.
Go. You’ll love it.

1  Thank AlyceM

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Went for dinner a few wks ago with a group of ladies. Food was all very good, service a bit lacking--Server (Liz? Blonde, tall, young) made no mention of happy hour specials though we were seated with an hour left. When we asked no one seemed sure of what the specials entailed. I had the filet which was one of the best I've had in town--on par with Daniel Arthur's which is so far my fave place for steak. Brussel sprout bruschetta was very good. At the end of the meal no mention was made of dessert, which we all wanted to try. It didn't occur to us until after the checks were brought and by that time we decided it wasn't worth the hassle of having her open new checks to order dessert. She could have increased the total bill by mentioning dessert to us. A note on the check--we had split checks, which I know are annoying, and they were all messed up. We sorted it out, but I wasn't too surprised that she hadn't kept the checks organized as she seemed rather inexperienced.

Returned several wks later for a pharmaceutical dinner. Service was 100% better! We had one main server who was assigned to our room, Rebecca, and she did an amazing job. Water glasses stayed full, drinks came promptly. Everyone enjoyed their food--the halibut is wonderful and the chicken is very flavorful. I had the filet again, and it was delicious and perfectly prepared as last time. The only thing I would say is the mustard jelly or whatever is on the filet is pretty nasty. My first time there I swapped out the potatoes for an extra veg so I suspect they changed the preparation--I'll order it this way next time as well. We had the crab mac and cheese for an app--this should always be on the menu! Man it was good. Salted caramel crème brulee is amazing and definitely worth a try! All in all I have had two good experiences here and look forward to returning!

1  Thank Coby S
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The food was very good about what you would expect from any fine restaurant and the prices were in line with what I expected. What made this meal special and always makes a meal special is the wait staff. Brandon our server was every bit a professional and made us feel we were his only customer. Back to the food, my meal I have to admit was one I would order again. The list is growing for fine dinning restaurants in the Cedar Rapids area just hope the support will be there to keep them in business of course most of it is up to management in maintaining quality and consistency. Will be returning for an evening meal in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This former bank has some outstanding art and that really makes the place special. Unfortunately, the hard surfaces and high ceiling mean that that acoustics in the bar and on one side of restaurant make it hard to talk. It was probably better in the side that is glassed off and with the lower ceiling but we were on the other side. The wait staff was great - we changed our reservation from 4 to 7 at the last minute and they accommodated us even though they were busy. The waitress was super nice and helpful. I had the scallops appetizer as my main course and it was really good. Another in the party had the halibut and said the fish was great but the brussell sprouts were hard and inedible. Others said their meals were fine. For Cedar Rapids it is on the expensive side, but most cities would consider the prices average. It is good to have such a special place in town.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We hosted a client dinner at Popoli last week and it was wonderful. It was also my first time at the restaurant. Service was great, food was exceptional, we loved it! Thank you for making our client dinner a huge success!