“Great place to stay”

Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Iowa City, Iowa
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

I was travelling with my family and stopped by to this place to have some rest as it was getting dark; I was informed by the front desk person that the property went under a great renovation and no wonder that it really looked great. All new look and appearance of the lobby. Room was great and breakfast was nice as well. Price paid was decent. I will stay here next time I am in this area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Garden Plain, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

this hotel will either update and become a nice hotel and a good recommendation, or it will slide further down the slope toward the hack "stay if you must" that I have come to expect from the majority of Quality Inns. the staff is excellent (which is something the great chains seem to fail to do). the rooms are OK, the lighting is a trick to figure out. the wireless is touchy but OK (I was on the third floor) the tread mill is dangerous and the TV in the exercise room might as well be in the bathroom for its ease of viewing. Twice when running the water for my shower black stuff shot out but the tub drained better than many. breakfast was amazingly blah (just a word of advise to the management: trash cans in the dining area are a good thing) with just a few changes they can turn the corner. pillows too soft, towels nice

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Topeka, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

I did not plan on staying here, I had finished up my trade show for the weekend, checked the weather, and found that the 4-5 hour drive that I had to look forward to was snow and sleet, so I got on my Android app and snagged a room here with points.

The hotel is undergoing renovations right now, and it smelled of it in places. Not too bad, though. There was some materials piled on the floor here and there, in fact, I had to have some moved so that I could get into my room... however, the guy at the front was very quick about helping with that, and I had made my reservation very soon before then, so I really can't get upset, especially since they corrected the problem quickly and cheerfully.

One thing I want to note: The guy running the front was very helpful and easy to work with. If his supervisor is reading this, Give him a raise! :)

Since this was a "port in a storm" stay, I didn't give it the once over that I would have were I there for a few days, but here's some salient points I noted:

First, there is an elevator on this property. Didn't see how well it worked, as I was on the first floor.

Second, I easily found the ice machine (without any no coolers signs on it), and a reasonably priced pop machine and vending.

The parking lot was a little strange shaped, but I had no problems, probably because it was Sunday night and there weren't many people there that I could spot.

The breakfast was actually reasonably edible and did not made me sick, cheap food tends to do that, and this breakfast surprisingly did not.

The WiFi wasn't bad, but I did have to reset it several times. You can detect other wifi setups nearby, maybe one of those doesn't require a reset every couple of hours... :)

The room was kind of small, but OK for me. The bed was pushed up against the wall on one side and of course the head, and there was no room for it to be anywhere else. If you have someone else in the bed with you, they are going to have to get out on your side or the foot of the bed, period. Luckily, it was just me this time.

Overall, it seemed like a decent experience. It was not only a hop and a skip from my trade show, but there were fast food and convenience stores within easy walking distance.

Overall, not bad at all.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kansasccw
Litchfield, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Facilities were very good, clean and comfortable. Very good breakfast. Would usually want pool but it was not necessary this time. Conveniently located near the freeway and cafes. This is our second stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Checkin was fast and pleasant. The room, on the first floor, was your typical, average room. Towels were okay. The only problem I had with the room was the dirt, including popcorn kernels, along the bed and around the nightstand. Bed was comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Andover, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

We decided to stay because of the warm continental breakfast, but little did we realize once we got past the lobby our desire for a warm breakfast in the morning would be the least of our wishes. We stayed on the 3rd floor and it smelled like a smoking lounge. We got into the room and it was freezing. The heater is the old "blow cold air and occassionally warm" until under the window. We found dried blood on one of the pillows. I brought it down and explained the pillow had a blood stain. He went away and came back with what I though was a new pillow. I checked it as I was in the elevator only to find the same blood spot on the pillow...obviously he just changed the outter pillow case, whent he blood was on the pillow. The pillow is covered by a zipped protector and then a pillow case. The zipped protector had spit stains on it. After exchaning the pillow a second time, we went to pull the covers down and found two very LONG grey hairs in our bed. The ceiling fan in the bathroom didn't work it just rattled but the fan didn't move. There were two bulbs missing in the lamps. And to top our visit - we asked for a late check out Sunday morning and we were informed this hopping town of Cedar Rapids was far to busy for them to allow an extended check out. I wanted to leave - but because we signed our paperwork, we could leave but they wouldn't credit us. OH! And, we also noticed the side door was propped open and didn't make us feel very secure. I will never stay at a quality in again and I plan on requesting my money back from their corporate offices. I will never be back here again.

Room Tip: They intermix their smoking rooms and non-smoking rooms. I would ask if the floor is non-smoking if...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Charter51891
Lakeville, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

We were here for an event in the area so just needed a place to sleep...room was functionable & clean..all we needed two problems ...when we came back to room at 11:30 only parking place was a narrow one by pallet of stone where they are working on the outside...My wife had to get out then I could park next to pallet...the other problem was at 5AM we could hear ( woke me up) people in room above showering & walking around....If I stay again I'll try for top floor.

Room Tip: try top floor for a quieter room
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple