“Economical Stay”

Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
East Troy
“Economical Stay”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

A weekend stay for visiting the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library and friends. The hotel was clean, and satisfactory, but our timing was bad as a couple college sports teams were staying there at the time. So access to the breakfast area was not possible. Also the elevator was out of service for the last day and night of our stay. Luckily we were only on the second floor. My friend traveling with me is 83, and had knee surgery not too long ago, so this wasn't welcomed. Location is next to freeway and several fast food and gas station/quick mart. Had my eyes open all the time for suspicious people, but no problems encountered.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Wayland, Iowa
Reviewed 12 September 2013

While on our way to Minnesota we needed a place to stay for the night. We pulled off of 3-80 and stopped at the Quality Inn South in Cedar Rapids. Jake was very helpful with information about restaurants and local sights to see. The room was great and pleasing to all in the group. Breakfast was included with our rate and was a welcome surprise to our group. What was really nice were the options as we had some special diets in our group. The breakfast area looked newly renovated. It was a great start to the next part of our trip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Washington, Iowa
Reviewed 12 September 2013

A weekend girls trip led us to Cedar Rapids Iowa. During our August trip we found ourselves staying in a very welcoming establishment. We had not been in the area for many years and Jake and Maggie were both very accommodating when we asked questions and requested area information. Our rooms were nice and beds comfortable. As it said you put old friends together and they don't need much. Two of us are early risers and enjoyed the breakfast it was nice to have hot and cold items. The biscuits and gravy being a big hit. Working in the hotel business in the past it is nice to go to another hotel and experience great friendly service that I once provided to my guests. I would definitly stay in the hotel again and recommend it to my friends if they ever were in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I didnt have a reservation when I first got there but the staff got me right in. The lobby looked like it was just redone and done very well. The breakfast was very good. Sausage and eggs were great!! We had no problems our whole stay! The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were very clean. The staff could not have been friendlier. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I was travelling with my family and stopped by to this place to have some rest as it was getting dark; I was informed by the front desk person that the property went under a great renovation and no wonder that it really looked great. All new look and appearance of the lobby. Room was great and breakfast was nice as well. Price paid was decent. I will stay here next time I am in this area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Garden Plain, Kansas
Reviewed 24 April 2013

this hotel will either update and become a nice hotel and a good recommendation, or it will slide further down the slope toward the hack "stay if you must" that I have come to expect from the majority of Quality Inns. the staff is excellent (which is something the great chains seem to fail to do). the rooms are OK, the lighting is a trick to figure out. the wireless is touchy but OK (I was on the third floor) the tread mill is dangerous and the TV in the exercise room might as well be in the bathroom for its ease of viewing. Twice when running the water for my shower black stuff shot out but the tub drained better than many. breakfast was amazingly blah (just a word of advise to the management: trash cans in the dining area are a good thing) with just a few changes they can turn the corner. pillows too soft, towels nice

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I did not plan on staying here, I had finished up my trade show for the weekend, checked the weather, and found that the 4-5 hour drive that I had to look forward to was snow and sleet, so I got on my Android app and snagged a room here with points.

The hotel is undergoing renovations right now, and it smelled of it in places. Not too bad, though. There was some materials piled on the floor here and there, in fact, I had to have some moved so that I could get into my room... however, the guy at the front was very quick about helping with that, and I had made my reservation very soon before then, so I really can't get upset, especially since they corrected the problem quickly and cheerfully.

One thing I want to note: The guy running the front was very helpful and easy to work with. If his supervisor is reading this, Give him a raise! :)

Since this was a "port in a storm" stay, I didn't give it the once over that I would have were I there for a few days, but here's some salient points I noted:

First, there is an elevator on this property. Didn't see how well it worked, as I was on the first floor.

Second, I easily found the ice machine (without any no coolers signs on it), and a reasonably priced pop machine and vending.

The parking lot was a little strange shaped, but I had no problems, probably because it was Sunday night and there weren't many people there that I could spot.

The breakfast was actually reasonably edible and did not made me sick, cheap food tends to do that, and this breakfast surprisingly did not.

The WiFi wasn't bad, but I did have to reset it several times. You can detect other wifi setups nearby, maybe one of those doesn't require a reset every couple of hours... :)

The room was kind of small, but OK for me. The bed was pushed up against the wall on one side and of course the head, and there was no room for it to be anywhere else. If you have someone else in the bed with you, they are going to have to get out on your side or the foot of the bed, period. Luckily, it was just me this time.

Overall, it seemed like a decent experience. It was not only a hop and a skip from my trade show, but there were fast food and convenience stores within easy walking distance.

Overall, not bad at all.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business