“Great and understanding staff!”

Quality Inn at Collins Road
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
DES MOINES
“Great and understanding staff!”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I just want all to know how happy I was with Dani and the GM working on the 29th of Sept. My son had a flat tire and was very tired and did not want to drive after got done. Problem he is 19 and hotel rules was 21. After talking to the staff they bent the rules and let him sleep. Which made a mom happy. Did not want him to fall asleep driving. Thanks so much for listening and giving us a chance that not all 19 year olds will be a problem.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
CR_ComfortNorth, Manager at Quality Inn at Collins Road, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Thank you Kelly for you kind comments on our Staff. We was happy to help out we do understand situations do occur and try and be courteous and help out when we are able. Glad your son had a safe trip!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The hotel has been recently renovated and rooms are fresh with comfortable beds. The breakfast was decent and parking secure, but as mentioned in previous reviews thay have a problem with non smoking rooms. I was booked in a non smoking room but it smelled as someone just spent a night smoking non stop there. I ask for another room and that one was a little better but I could still smell it. Both rooms were marked as non smoking rooms and they were on the first floor (all of their smoking rooms are located on the second floor). Overall just an average or slightly below average experience, and not a great value, unless you are a smoker.

• Stayed September 2013

st. paul
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Booked a non-smoking room and the room was labeled non-smoking. However, it had been a smoking room in the past as the furnishings, carpet and drapes still smelled like smoke. Also, two prominent carpet burns at the vanity. The air conditioner was functional but it clanked whenever it kicked in and was enough to wake you up during the night. Breakfast was typical fare with waffles, breads, eggs, and very hard biscuits. I booked on-line and the price was good, but I will probably not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at Comfort Inn North.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the smoking odor in your room on your recent visit. We do have a small portion of smoking rooms, which we try to keep in one centralized area of the hotel. We are still completing some renovations. I value you bringing this issue forward and we are working on correcting it.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Cedar Rapids.
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is very much a typical Comfort Inn. My room was clean and the housekeeping did clean my room ro my satisfaction. I know some properties of a similiar rating have dirty rooms, but mine was clean. The breafast was satisfying. For lunch or dinner there are many choices within walking distance of this property. The front desk staff was friendly and answered questions I had. Like most properties today there is free internet available at this property.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Amsterdam, New York
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed one night and found the place to be average, but not great. First impressions were not good, saying "we are right next to Rockwell Collins, so we are going to sell rooms based on location, so we just don't care about the details". We got to walk past a bucket full of cigarette butts floating in water just outside the front door and found a distinct smell of stale cigarette smoke in the lobby and hallways. I guess I've just been spoiled by staying at mostly 100% smoke free hotels. Check in was reasonably quick, despite the fact that there appeared to be only one person working and she must have had several calls on hold with more coming in. I was given a little package of snacks and a bottle of water as a Choice Privileges member. Our room was non-smoking, but there was still a hint of an unpleasant smoke odor. Other than that, the room was clean and comfortable. It's an older style room layout with the sink outside and the shower and toilet in a very small separate bathroom space. On the plus side, there was plenty of hot water with good water pressure. My biggest disappointment with the hotel, though, was the unreliable wireless network. It took several tries to get each of our devices connected, it was very slow while we were connected, and connections kept getting dropped, requiring a trip back through the (slow and unreliable) device registration. I mentioned this at the front desk at checkout, and was referred to the support number. I also used the fitness center briefly. The equipment was older but working and served its purpose, but I was kind of put off by the 4 old and partially disassembled heat/ac units that were piled in the fitness room along the wall. In the morning, we found the breakfast to be above average in variety and quality. I also appreciate that we were not rushed out of the breakfast room even though we got down there just 5 minutes before breakfast ended. So it wasn't a horrible experience by any means, but I'd try a different place if I stay in Cedar Rapids again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Mosinee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Very clean Comfort Inn. People were friendly. Good breakfast. Really liked the location. Plenty of restaurants and shopping just down the road. Plenty of restaurants and shopping malls just down the road.

Room Tip: Get first floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I stayed at the Cedar Rapids Comfort Inn North for 11 nights. It is clean and has no odd odors. The furnishings and bedding could stand updating, but it was not bad at all. This is an older hotel and it is starting to show, but there was nothing specific to complain about --a few updates, newer shower surrounds and new bedding would do a lot to improve this hotel.
It was quiet and I slept like a baby every night. I would stay at this hotel again.
The breakfast was okay, the usual, cooked eggs, hard-boiled eggs, sausage gravy, sausage, yogurt, waffles, cereal, fruit.... the usual free continental breakfast that most hotels offer.
There are tons of restaurants about a mile down the road and lots of shopping nearby.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business