“great convention hotel”

Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
New Hope, Minnesota, United States
“great convention hotel”
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

great place to relax .good clean rooms. good food cheap drinks for a convention hotel .. will be back again.. good hot breakfast at no charge... newly renovated hotel,rooms still are being updated,my room needed updating could see the smoke stains on the walls..

• Stayed October 2013
ClarionHotel1, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear Mike G,
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our restaurant and bar during your stay. Our chefs continue to provide delicious fare and we are especially proud of our complimentary hot breakfast buffet, which includes made-to-order omelettes. We have just finished renovating the hotel. I’m sorry your room was not finished at the time of your stay, but I am confident you will appreciate all aspects of the renovated rooms on your next stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Until Then,
Chip Fritsch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed in June 2013, remodeling was in progress!!! I like what I am seeing. I stay about 6 times a year in Cedar Rapids and it is always at this hotel. I have attended meetings and a couple of weddings here. The staff is friendly and helpful. The staff at the hotel is why I keep coming back.
My room is always clean, that is one of the most important things in a hotel room. I can live with a dated look as long as it is clean. If I have ever needed anything it is just a phone call away or stopping at the front desk has always taken care of whatever I needed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lynn B
ClarionHotel1, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear Lynn B,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your great experiences at the Clarion Cedar Rapids. Thank you for your praise of the staff. We take great pride in our customer service. I will be sure to pass on your positive feed back to the staff. I am glad that you like what you saw of our remodeling. All the guest rooms are newly renovated! We look forward to welcoming you back and hearing your feedback on the new guest rooms on your next visit.

Warm Regards,
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stayed 2 nights for a wedding; reception was also held there. My thoughts:
-staff was welcoming at check-in. No one was ever rude but also no me that outdid it ether
-hotel is very old (formerly a Sheraton) and has had some remodeling. However, you can still tell its old in places like the bathroom wallpaper. Entrance is nice.
-breakfast included has a huge range of options, including meats and waffles. However, I'd say the quality is below the average I'm used to for hotel breakfasts. The 2nd day the meat seemed to be reheated. They also had a hard time keeping things stocked.
-food at wedding reception was quite good. They seemed very organized and very prompt at serving and things seemed to go well. I can see why people would want events there.
-pool is old and small.. Water was a good temp though. My son got bored very quickly. Is a hot tub too. The spa room appeared broken.
-rooms have fridges and microwaves
-rooms seemed to be decent sized but only had 2 double beds. Normally I won't book anything without 2 queens. Did have a desk and a couple of chairs. Bathroom was pretty small and countertop was tiny.
-elevators are very quick and waits were always very short
-I heard louder semis at night on road and others said they heard trains. Air seems louder than average but it was very hot so it had to basically run straight. I did not hear much noise from anyone around though.

In summary I recommend for events but as a hotel alone I'd look around. I'd stay again for a great price but if prices were comparable I'd go with the close by Fairfield or Holiday Inn Express. I can't complain about a lot but I didn't walk away saying wow either!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Dealmom83
Dear Dealmom83,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. I am happy to hear that the hotel staff was welcoming and the wedding event staff was attentive. I am also glad to hear that you were pleased with the food at the wedding reception, provided by our kitchen.

I am sorry that the breakfast did not meet your expectations. It is our goal to provide the best breakfast in Cedar Rapids. We are using whole fresh Organic eggs and a selection of meats and fresh produce. I hope that on your next visit, our breakfast will truly amaze you. We have recently remodeled all of the guest rooms and continue to improve our hotel with updates. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Cedar Rapids. And be sure to check out our Executive Double Queen guest rooms for your comfort.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The Clarion was a great place to host an event. The staff is super friendly and they helped us with every request. Our group was around 125 people and the space was very accomodating. The food was and service was top notch. I would recommend the Clarion for any event! I learned that two of the staff that worked with us had nearly 60 years of working at that hotel so that says a lot about the place and people. I will defintely go back there in the future!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 Thank Patti K
Dear Patti K,

I am delighted to hear that hosting your event of 125 people at the Clarion went so smoothly. I have to give credit to our event staff who has a wealth of experience. I will also pass on your comments on our friendly staff. The Clarion has flexible meeting space to accommodate any event size and type. I will tell our new Chefs that you called their food “Top Notch”. Your experience is everything we hope to provide every guest, but we never get tired of knowing we are doing our job. Thank you for recommending the Clarion for any event! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Best Regards,
Marion, Iowa
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I can tell the sleeping rooms have been recently remodeled - you can smell that new carpet and fresh paint smell -they went all none smoking - this is great for the traveler that don't smoke (like myself) I like what they are doing. Keep up the good work.
Nice place to stay - friendly staff

I will definitely consider this hotel the next time in Cedar Rapids
Also work has been done on the Synergy Restaurant and 33rd Avenue Pub - new menus - new look

Room Tip: Rooms on the 6th floor are quieter - the double queens are nice
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank lsl827
Hello Is1827,

Thank you for recommending our hotel. We have recently remodeled all the guest rooms. Everything is new and we are happy that you approve. We have gone 100% Non-Smoking to preserve the experience of all of our guests. The Synergy Restaurant and 33rd Avenue Bar are also remodeled with new and exciting offerings on the menu. My staff never gets tired of hearing compliments on their friendly natures. I will be sure to pass on your comments. We hope to see you again soon, when you are next in Cedar Rapids.

Iowa
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Reasonably clean. Courteous counter help. Our bill was $85 before tax. That’s around $40 - $50 cheaper than Holiday or other comparable establishments in the same local of the same caliber as Clarion. All the other places in the area were weekly rate sort of places which we do not frequent. Free hot food breakfast bar, reconstituted of course, but better than cereal and stale donuts. The exterior is in need of some TLC but still O.K. for an on-the-road one night flop. A bit pricey for what it is, but better than the alternatives. Room smell was fine, but hallways are definitely smokers territory.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FarmGirl44
Dear FarmGirl44,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. I am pleased that we met your expectations, but I hope on your next stay, we will exceed them. We pride our selves on our customer service and clean comfortable accommodations. We have recently completed a remodel of all the guest rooms. Our rooms feature new carpet, wall coverings, bedding, furniture, flat screen TVs and more. We are also now 100% non-smoking. We hope to welcome you back the next time you are passing through town.

Best Regards,
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Our youngest daughter's wedding reception was 6/8/13 at the Clarion. This was our third wedding reception to plan, so my wife has it pretty well down to a science. The staff at the Clarion was easy to work with throughout the process. As time grew closer, they put in extra attention to make sure nothing was left out. They were reassuring with those necessary uncertainties towards the end, and flexible wherever they needed to be. They have low staff turnover at least in this area, and their experience shows. They were accommodating to our wishes for décor, and filled in the gaps. The event itself came off smoothly. The physical plant is "well loved", nothing dazzling, but very functional in terms of layout and easily took care of our reception of just about 250. We would certainly use them again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jim B
Dear Jim B,

It was our pleasure to host your youngest daughters wedding. I have to give credit to our wedding planners; they have the experience and attention to detail to make the planning process smooth and handle anything that could come up in the last minutes. Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.