“An excellent choice”

Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Shakopee, Minnesota
“An excellent choice”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I was impressed with the Clarion Hotel the moment I walked through the doors and entered the spacious lobby. Nothing like most hotels in this price range. It was especially nice having the lemon-aid dispenser. On the desk was a basket of fresh fruit available to guests. The girl who checked us in was very friendly and thorough, pointing out all the features of the hotel and reminding us of the complimentary breakfast.
The room was clean and well equipped. The beds were very comfortable. I was able to use the business center and print a map of where we had to go the next day. We did not use the pool, so I can't comment on that.
The complimentary breakfast was one of the finest I have ever had in any hotel. Hot eggs, hash browns, bacon, sausage, waffles, and, best of all, cooked to order omelets! It was also in a regular restaurant area, instead of just a corner of the lobby.
There was one issue. A kids football team was staying right above us, and they got to running back and forth, which made quite a racket through our ceiling. One word to the front desk and the activity was immediately stopped.
I would definitely recommend the Cedar Rapids Clarion, and when I return to the Cedar Rapids area next spring, I will be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cal T
ClarionHotel1, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Cal T,
We are thrilled by your wonderful review of the Clarion Hotel Cedar Rapids. It was our pleasure to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. I am glad you enjoyed the lemonade and fresh fruit in the lobby, business center, renovated rooms, and new mattresses. We are so please to be ranked one of the finest complimentary hotel breakfasts you’ve ever had, that’s what we’re going for. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip in the spring.

Warm Regards,
Chip Fritsch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Ottumwa, Iowa
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We booked a room, but plans change. After several calls we could not cancel our reservations even though they were more than 24 hours in advance. They have our credit card, and we are at their mercy. I hope their next guest enjoys their stay. We decided to stay at their hotel anyway.

Room Tip: Hampton in has nice hotels
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jay S
ClarionHotel1, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear JayS,
Thank you for your online review. I apologize that you experienced some trouble in your attempts to cancel your reservation. If you send me an email with your stay information I will be happy to look into the matter further and see if there is a possible resolution. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience incurred, and hope the rest of your stay was enjoyable. I hope you appreciated the recent renovations and the complimentary hot breakfast buffet. If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay better, please let us know.

New Hope, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

great place to relax .good clean rooms. good food cheap drinks for a convention hotel .. will be back again.. good hot breakfast at no charge... newly renovated hotel,rooms still are being updated,my room needed updating could see the smoke stains on the walls..

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Mike G,
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our restaurant and bar during your stay. Our chefs continue to provide delicious fare and we are especially proud of our complimentary hot breakfast buffet, which includes made-to-order omelettes. We have just finished renovating the hotel. I’m sorry your room was not finished at the time of your stay, but I am confident you will appreciate all aspects of the renovated rooms on your next stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Until Then,
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed in June 2013, remodeling was in progress!!! I like what I am seeing. I stay about 6 times a year in Cedar Rapids and it is always at this hotel. I have attended meetings and a couple of weddings here. The staff is friendly and helpful. The staff at the hotel is why I keep coming back.
My room is always clean, that is one of the most important things in a hotel room. I can live with a dated look as long as it is clean. If I have ever needed anything it is just a phone call away or stopping at the front desk has always taken care of whatever I needed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lynn B
ClarionHotel1, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear Lynn B,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your great experiences at the Clarion Cedar Rapids. Thank you for your praise of the staff. We take great pride in our customer service. I will be sure to pass on your positive feed back to the staff. I am glad that you like what you saw of our remodeling. All the guest rooms are newly renovated! We look forward to welcoming you back and hearing your feedback on the new guest rooms on your next visit.

Warm Regards,
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stayed 2 nights for a wedding; reception was also held there. My thoughts:
-staff was welcoming at check-in. No one was ever rude but also no me that outdid it ether
-hotel is very old (formerly a Sheraton) and has had some remodeling. However, you can still tell its old in places like the bathroom wallpaper. Entrance is nice.
-breakfast included has a huge range of options, including meats and waffles. However, I'd say the quality is below the average I'm used to for hotel breakfasts. The 2nd day the meat seemed to be reheated. They also had a hard time keeping things stocked.
-food at wedding reception was quite good. They seemed very organized and very prompt at serving and things seemed to go well. I can see why people would want events there.
-pool is old and small.. Water was a good temp though. My son got bored very quickly. Is a hot tub too. The spa room appeared broken.
-rooms have fridges and microwaves
-rooms seemed to be decent sized but only had 2 double beds. Normally I won't book anything without 2 queens. Did have a desk and a couple of chairs. Bathroom was pretty small and countertop was tiny.
-elevators are very quick and waits were always very short
-I heard louder semis at night on road and others said they heard trains. Air seems louder than average but it was very hot so it had to basically run straight. I did not hear much noise from anyone around though.

In summary I recommend for events but as a hotel alone I'd look around. I'd stay again for a great price but if prices were comparable I'd go with the close by Fairfield or Holiday Inn Express. I can't complain about a lot but I didn't walk away saying wow either!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Dealmom83
Dear Dealmom83,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. I am happy to hear that the hotel staff was welcoming and the wedding event staff was attentive. I am also glad to hear that you were pleased with the food at the wedding reception, provided by our kitchen.

I am sorry that the breakfast did not meet your expectations. It is our goal to provide the best breakfast in Cedar Rapids. We are using whole fresh Organic eggs and a selection of meats and fresh produce. I hope that on your next visit, our breakfast will truly amaze you. We have recently remodeled all of the guest rooms and continue to improve our hotel with updates. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Cedar Rapids. And be sure to check out our Executive Double Queen guest rooms for your comfort.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The Clarion was a great place to host an event. The staff is super friendly and they helped us with every request. Our group was around 125 people and the space was very accomodating. The food was and service was top notch. I would recommend the Clarion for any event! I learned that two of the staff that worked with us had nearly 60 years of working at that hotel so that says a lot about the place and people. I will defintely go back there in the future!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 Thank Patti K
Dear Patti K,

I am delighted to hear that hosting your event of 125 people at the Clarion went so smoothly. I have to give credit to our event staff who has a wealth of experience. I will also pass on your comments on our friendly staff. The Clarion has flexible meeting space to accommodate any event size and type. I will tell our new Chefs that you called their food “Top Notch”. Your experience is everything we hope to provide every guest, but we never get tired of knowing we are doing our job. Thank you for recommending the Clarion for any event! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Best Regards,
Marion, Iowa
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I can tell the sleeping rooms have been recently remodeled - you can smell that new carpet and fresh paint smell -they went all none smoking - this is great for the traveler that don't smoke (like myself) I like what they are doing. Keep up the good work.
Nice place to stay - friendly staff

I will definitely consider this hotel the next time in Cedar Rapids
Also work has been done on the Synergy Restaurant and 33rd Avenue Pub - new menus - new look

Room Tip: Rooms on the 6th floor are quieter - the double queens are nice
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank lsl827
Hello Is1827,

Thank you for recommending our hotel. We have recently remodeled all the guest rooms. Everything is new and we are happy that you approve. We have gone 100% Non-Smoking to preserve the experience of all of our guests. The Synergy Restaurant and 33rd Avenue Bar are also remodeled with new and exciting offerings on the menu. My staff never gets tired of hearing compliments on their friendly natures. I will be sure to pass on your comments. We hope to see you again soon, when you are next in Cedar Rapids.