“Good hotel, bad booking!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids Airport
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The hotel was good. I just stayed one night. It was close to the airport and the shuttle was fast. They also begin serving breakfast at 4am. Booking through Easytobook was the worst part, messed up my reservation and i had to pay extra.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Clean, decent breakfast but ran out of some items one morning, pool, exercise room. Only problem was one evening when there were no parking places and it was darn cold and snowing. Seems that there parking lot is also used as an off-site airport parking facility. Not cool but, other than that, a nice place with good value.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We had an early morning flight out of CR. We live about 35 or 40 miles from the airport and would have normally driven up in the morning, but an incoming snow storm made us decide to stay overnight near the airport. Of what I deemed the two best choices nearby, the Country Inn was slightly cheaper. The person at the front desk was friendly, the room was immaculate and everything was in good condition. With our AAA discount we got a room with a microwave and a fridge for under $90 including tax. The breakfast was good, including bacon and eggs and make your own waffles in addition to the standard pastries, cereal, fruit, etc. It was well worth the price not to stress about what the roads would be like in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This property has a lot going for it, most importantly, clean and comfortable rooms; I slept great! The staff is helpful and the breakfast is good and available at 4 am till either 9:30 or 10:30 on weekends! The pool is small, but there is also a hot tub and decent exercise room. The delicious cookies available at the front desk add to the homey feel. I'd stay here again as you can tell this is a well run hotel.

Room Tip: Third floor nice and quiet
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Debra K, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you very much for your review of your stay at Country Inn & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport. I appreciate your comment and hope the next time your travels bring you to our area we will be your preferred lodging choice for your overnight neeeds.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I spent two nights in one hotel room at Country Inn and Suites by Carlson, Cedar Rapids, IA with my boyfriend on June 7th & 8th. I had originally made a reservation for one night under my credit card. The hotel charged both one night on my credit card and two nights on my boyfriend’s credit card. We paid a total of $341.60 for our stay which should have been $230.72.
I called the hotel and left messages for the general manager, Debra Kendall, three times (June 12th at 11:23am, June 13th at 3:09pm, and June 19th at 3:53pm). She never returned any of my calls. My boyfriend called the hotel was able to speak with Debra who told him she would need my credit card number before she removed one of the night charges off of his account. I called her within minutes of him speaking with her and she did not answer or call me back. I then spoke with John McLaughlin who said that he would look into the situation and give me a call. After over a week had passed and he did not call me back I called him. He said that while his records showed that my card was used to pay for another hotel room for one of the wedding guests in our block, but unless I could get that person to call in and pay for the room, he would not take the charge off of my credit card. My boyfriend called to see if he could correct the situation and John said he would take care of it. After over two weeks when he had not heard back from him, my boyfriend called again and John said that he would not remove one of the night's charges unless he could insure that they could charge the amount to another. We were constantly told that the situation would be resolved on their end, but months has passed we did not seen any results. I then contacted my credit card company, but because of the amount of time that had passed they could not do anything on their part. Debra Kendall and John McLaughlin both admitted that the hotel wrongfully charged us, but never corrected the situation.

I definitely do not think that it is right for a hotel to do this to their guests and people should know that the management at this hotel fixes mistakes made on their end by letting their customers pay for them.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kristie C
Debra K, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the inconvienence his has caused you. I would like to remedy the situation. Clearly there was an issue and I apologze for the lack of response on our end. I appreciate your comments and would like to remedy this situation for you. Again, my apologies for the problems you experienced. I would be happy talk to you to to resolve the situation. I can be reached at 319-363-3789.

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my spontaneous stay here due to a cancelled flight. The staff went out of their way to help me out, even taking me by a restaurant in the airport shuttle. I enjoyed the hot tub and pool and the breakfast was very good too. There are no restaurants or shopping nearby but they took me out by the shuttle.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Country Inn & Suites Cedar Rapids Airport. We appreciate your business and hope the next time your travels bring you to our area we will be your lodging choice.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was a wonderful little gem of a hotel with amazing front desk staff. I've stayed here once before but forgot how charming this little hotel was. The hotel is conveniently located just off of I-380 and less than a mile from the Eastern Iowa Airport. They also offer shuttle service to the airport and downtown shopping areas. I had booked just a regular room through a discount travel site, not really caring where I would stay while in Cedar Rapids. When I found that it was the Country Inn & Suites, I called as requested to pay the difference to be upgraded to a suite. The hotel was accommodating an went above and beyond what they could to fulfill my request. The rooms were clean, the sheets were white and the bed slept like a dream. The breakfast, which starts at 4:00 am so they can feel people catching early morning flights, was great. For the price, this was an amazing hotel that I had forgotten about. I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business