Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids Airport
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Geneseo, United States
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel is nice. It was in the process of being remodeled, so it will be really nice nice. The hotel was clean. Pool is small, but clean and met our needs. Staff very friendly. Good location for what we needed. Would stay there again if we were in that area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Mount Vernon, Washington
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I traveled to the Cedar Rapids region so that I could perform a wedding of a long-time family friend. This was one of the hotels suggested from the wedding party, so we reserved a two night stay. I was warmly greeted by the staff, and we found the staff to be very gracious and responsive during our stay. The room had two queen size beds. They turned out to be very comfortable, as my wife and I slept well for both nights.

The drawbacks of the room were the lack of furniture beyond the beds in the room, and the lack of television channel selections. Regarding the lack of furniture, there was only one chair for the two of us to sit in (and it was a desk chair), and there were no additional tables or chairs other than the desk and chair in the room. We did ask for a chair, and were given a portable chair so that the second person could sit in it. The television selections were very limited. I am not a big fan of Direct TV, and I found that the limitation of channel selections to be frustration.

But in spite of these two drawbacks, we found our stay to be very good. I would certainly recommend this facility.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rainier1954
Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had an unexpected one night stay when our flight was cancelled out CID. This is a satisfactory airport hotel with some nice benefits.

Pros:
* very helpful over phone from airport making arrangements;
* very timely shuttle service both from & to airport, driver helped with LOTS of bags;
* standard US sized hotel room with 2 queen beds was clean and did not smell bad (see below);
* wall heater/AC was noisy, yes, but worked well for temperature control and as a sound barrier to hallway noise;
* included a microwave and mini fridge, free wifi, desk, armchair;
* decent sized indoor pool & hot tub were clean & included pool towels;
* free EARLY breakfast & shuttle service -- really appreciate the early breakfast for our early flight out. Yes, it's the standard stuff, but included eggs, bacon, plenty of types of toast, not a bad range of choices over all;
* paid a good price for the last minute booking especially with all the "freebies" included.

Cons:
* staff not so friendly on site, but fine;
* a vaguely musty smell on the third floor in the evening was followed by a TERRIBLE smell on the 3rd floor the morning of our departure. Thank goodness the smell was not on the 1st floor or it would have been impossible to eat.
* some renovation was taking place in the lobby area, so it looked a bit beat up. Otherwise it actually seemed like a fairly pleasant lobby.

Despite the awful smell in the morning, I would definitely stay again if I had a very early flight out.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank annecbb
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 2 July 2014

First floor room with 2 queens. Pretty air tight room was quite musty. Air conditioner was very loud and vent in bathroom was essentially broken. Thus, the room was pretty musty. Pet friendly which is important. Breakfast was the typical waffle stuff which I can't stomach any more.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Boottrax
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2014

ending up in Cedar Rapids to purchase a collector car that turned out to be a lemon, had to spend the nite before returning to CLT. The folks at Lynch Ford suggested Country Inn and turned out to be great. Despite remodel work going on the room was nice, and the front desk staff was very help;ful. Not much good food close by but the suggested their van driver take me toTexas Roadhouse that turned out to be great. Promptly arrived to retrieve me when I was ready. I forget the young lady's name that was the van driver... but she was a star. It's nice to see a chain hotel/motel deliver better than expected service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Granger, Indiana
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband travels about 50% of the year for his work, so he stays in a lot of hotels across the USA. I often travel with him and I rarely give a terrible review.....but our stay at this hotel for 2 weeks is the exception!!

We had a terrible experience with our stay here, most of our complaints revolve around customer service. Just plain old common courtesy customer service. The problems were so numerous that we had to laugh about it by the end of the 2 weeks!!

I will highlight some of our greatest concerns. Our room was not cleaned many days, the staff might be across the hall and see me leave and when we arrived at the end of the day nothing was done. I always leave a tip for the person cleaning my room daily and that did not seem to matter. All I need is my garbage emptied, the bed made and clean towels....not too much to ask for!
Next, the staff at the front desk.....it is really nice when you walk into the front door for the person at the desk to look up and speak to you.....good morning, hello, how are you tonight.....anything!!
The same attitude from the woman who put out breakfast....omg, no smile, did not speak to anyone and don't ask for anything from her! Most mornings she was busy sweeping the floor by the front door and then would go back to the kitchen area.....not sure that you should mix cleaning and cooking duties.

One more thing I would like to mention....there were several comments previously about lack of parking and we noticed some of the reasons that happens. There is one night a week that the hotel hosts a group of people playing cards and they fill up the parking lot....another reason is that the hotel apparently allows people traveling in and out of the airport to park there, shuttling them to and from. These situations are not bad unless they cause a problem like they do...a shortage of parking.

The hotel is currently undergoing a cosmetic renovation right now...maybe there should be a customer service renovation!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GTWD
Debra K, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Rapids Airport, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
My sincere apologies for your less than satisfactory stay with us. I appreciate your comments and remarks and will be using them to move forward to take care of the issues your mentioned to ensure they do not happen again. Again my apologies for your stay and if you would care to contact me in reference to following up on this I am available at the property.
Debra Kendall