“Great hotel, felt safe and secure.”

Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I was in town visiting friends for the 4th of July and decided to stay at the Red Roof Inn. When I first pulled in I noticed that there were several semi cabs in the parking lot. When I asked the front desk about it, the lady working the desk told me that the hotel has a contract with CRST and that there are a number of truck drivers there on any given day of the week. While I was completing my registration at the hotel I struck up a conversation with one of the female truck drivers that was there and she told me that most of the time the truckers have a good portion of their belongs in the semi cabs so they use a buddy system of keeping an eye on each others trucks so nothing gets broken into or stolen. That made me feel better as I am a small framed woman and I drive a brand new Mustang. My room was on the second floor on the front of the building and was clean and well kept. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have slept in in a long time. While the hotel does not have a restaurant it does offer coffee 24 hours a day and a light breakfast free of charge from 6 to 9 am. I am not usually a breakfast person but I do have to say the waffles were amazing. I will definitely stay there anytime I am Cedar Rapids.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Cheryl D, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest survey. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Cedar Rapids Red Roof.

Red Roof Inn - Cedar Rapids

Reviewed 5 July 2012

We have a bad habit of making last minute, on the road reservations. We travel with our dogs so a place must accept pets without charging an outrageous fee. Red Roof in Cedar Rapids filled the bill for a great price. It's clean & we felt safe and it's near many restaurants. I admit I was nervous about all the truckers hanging out & smoking but they are hard working folks who were looking for a safe & clean place to sleep, just like us. No problems at all & there is a fridge & microwave as well! We would stay there again in a heartbeat. No fee for pets, terrific. And a continental breakfast on top of this, great value. If you are looking for "fancy", go elsewhere; looking for clean, comfortable & pet friendly? You got it!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Babztay
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Red Roof Inn - Cedar Rapids

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I made reservations for 3 nights. We stayed one night and moved to another hotel.
When we checked in, there were men outside the hotel.---They appeared to be loitering. We had no idea why they were there but that made us uncomfortable. Some seemed to be drinking and loud until just before midnight. I checked at 12:10AM and some remained in the parking lot but were quiet now. I looked out the window at 1:30 AM and 2 remained below our window. We were on the second floor. I went to Trip Advisor and read the review saying the men were truckers. At that point I knew why they were there. It would have been helpful if the desk clerk would have given us a "Heads up" when we checked in.
Our room had a microwave and fridge. That would have been nice if we had decided to stay. Not all rooms have them.
The bathroom was very small.
The breakfast was very below average. (bread for toast, English muffin, make you own waffle, juice and coffee) They had no cereal, no fruit ,no milk.
The hotel really could use some updates.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bawinasap
Cheryl D, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Cedar Rapids Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.

At Red Roof, we strive to provide every customer with superior service; therefore your feedback is very important to us. You may not have been made aware but our hotel has a very large contract with a nationwide trucking company. I am sure you saw the numerous semi-trucks in the parking lot. Unfortunately, truck drivers are predominantly smokers, and we have very few smoking rooms for them, (Only 10 rooms). We do appreciate the fact that they are going outside to smoke, rather than smoking in nonsmoking rooms. The down side to that is that it appears that people are loitering outside. When in reality, they are smoking and talking with other drivers. The other side of that is when their trucks are in the lot, they tend to walk the parking lot at various hours of the day and night to insure the safety of the truck for which they are responsible. At any given time you can always find at least one driver walking the parking lot even in the worst of weather. Most of these driver’s have most of their life in their truck to protect, so they watch the parking lot very closely. Again, it appeared as loitering, but were the truckers maintaining the safety of their vehicles. A huge upside to the drivers being in the lot at all hours, is that in this day and age most hotels across the country have issues with cars being broken into for various things, GPS, radar detectors, stereos and such. With the truck drivers always walking the parking lot, observing anything and everything going on, as well as smoking outside, this hotel has not had any theft or damage type of activity. The hotel is safer than most with the drivers paying such close attention to anything in the parking lot. When you asked about the activity outside, the front desk should have given you more of the details of the drivers always being outside. We would like to apologize that this made you feel uncomfortable.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

We like staying in Red Roof Inns when we stay with our cat. They accept our little furry friend, are generally clean and fairly priced.

My only complaint about this particular property is that one of the local trucking companies use this hotel to house it's drivers that are waiting for loads and going to training. Mind you, I don't have anything against truck drivers...but when you drive up to a hotel and there are 10 or more people out front smoking cigerettes, the first thing that goes through your mind is "AA meeting? Halfway House?"

No kidding, the ashtray had at least 75 butts in it. Staff should have been on this right away. It was very obvious to me that this non smoking hotel had lots of smoking going on in our room...once the air freshener wore off, it hit me like a brick. Another small complaint, the remote for the tv didn't work...annoying.

I like the price and the fact they take pets, but this will be my last visit to this motel unless I pick up a smoking habit.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Cheryl D, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Dear Guest,

At Red Roof, we strive to provide every customer with superior service; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I want you to know that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issues that you mentioned.

Unfortunately, truck drivers are predominantly smokers, and we have very few smoking rooms for them, (Only 10 rooms). We do appreciate the fact that they are going outside to smoke, rather than smoking in nonsmoking rooms. The down side to that is that the ash trays tend to fill rather quickly, even when they are cleaned numerous times per day. We do prefer that the smoke and smoke smell remain outside rather than inside. Most people, but not everyone abides by not smoking in a nonsmoking room. I wish there were a way to make those people aware of how that affects those that are nonsmokers or even allergic. I apologize for their actions as they affected you. We will try to be more proactive in stopping that type of behavior. As guests in the hotel, you should be able to rent a nonsmoking room with out concern that someone has smoked in it before you.

Thank you for taking the time to write about our location.

Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Reviewed 17 April 2012

my company recommended I stay here, and boy am I happy they did. for the price there is no place comparable in cedar rapids.... I checked. The room was immaculate, the bathroom was spotless and well stocked, the lobby and breakfast area were well maintained and cleaned constantly. The staff from the manager to the maintenance man were helpful and cheerful at all times. House keeping staff are the best in the biz, no request was too big or task too small, all tasks were treated with importance and completed in a very timely manner. I dont know about the previous reviews, but I would give this hotel a try......... if you want fancy place ....for a fancy price........ go elsewhere, if you want good value and a good nights sleep, come to the red roof in in cedar rapids. I felt welcomed and safe at all times. I felt as if I was a valued guest from the first minute i checked in, to the moment I checked out. I spent almost a month here and was treated with kindness and respect at all times.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Cheryl D, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Thank-you for your recent visit to the Red Roof Inn, here in Cedar Rapids. Customer service is our number one priority. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. Keeping our guests comfortable, cared for and safe are our number one goals. We strive to provide a superior service at a discounted price. The breakfast is a true continental. By not having the huge breakfast buffet allows us to keep our prices more reasonable for travelers. Travelers such as yourself want the most value for their dollar. We try to meet or exceed that value at all times. Smiles are free, and we give them away happily at all times. We hope that we will always be your preferred lodging provider in the future.

Thank-you so much from all of the Cedar Rapids, Iowa Red Roof Inn Staff!

Reviewed 21 January 2012

The staff of the hotel was courteous and friendly and the continental breakfast was great for the price. My room was neat and clean and was easily accessible. It was snowing and the staff maintained sidewalks and parking lot extremely well. Highly impressed, will stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank bossman55364
Cheryl D, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Thank-you for your recent visit to the Red Roof Inn, here in Cedar Rapids. Customer service is our number one priority. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. With inclement weather, we strive to keep our guests as safe and comfortable as possible, inside and outside. Keeping the walks and parking lot clear enables easier access for you as well as keeping your vehicle safe from accidents. We strive to provide a superior service at a discounted price. The breakfast is a true continental. By not having the huge breakfast buffet allows us to keep our prices more reasonable for travelers.

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Thought it was rather ironic that the hotel had posted "Recommended by Trip Advisor" on the entryway. This place was a run down sad sack mess. Our room smelled like the inside of a Taco Bell. The bathroom was so tiny you literally had to sit on the toilet to close the door. Got very little sleep thanks to 2 people cramming in a full size bed and the LOUD heating system. Stayed here because our friends that were getting married paid for and reserved the rooms (apparently there was an Iowa game this weekend and hotel space was limited). My husband checked out breakfast - said the main ingredient was hair - needless to say we ate elsewhere. Hotel has outdoor access doors- in a shady neighborhood - not ideal. Don't know how much the going room rate was, but I highly doubt it was worth the cost. Avoid.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank iowastategal
Cheryl D, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

Dear Guest,
I understand that you did not make your reservations, but another party made the reservations through a 3rd party such as Expedia. Unfortunately, 3rd party sites such as those, do not allow for room type requests. We at the hotel are not able to alter anything on a 3rd party reservation, including changing of room types. We are sorry for that inconvenience to you. Reservations made directly with the hotel can be made with room requests, such as for a king size bed, and can be tailored more for your needs.
The hotel is conveniently located right off the interstate in the hotel and restaurant business district. You are correct when stating that the hotel is not in a neighborhood, as the whole street is lined with hotels and restaurants. There is not a neighborhood, or a park in the area as it is zoned for hotel and restaurant businesses.
I understand that you did not pay for the room, but I am sure that you saw our rate sign outside. We serve only a continental breakfast (toast, coffee, and juice). We do have only one bonus item, the waffles. I am sure you can understand, that the hotels that have the full breakfasts also have much higher rates. (Usually about double of the rates here at the Red Roof.) We try our best to keep the hotel affordable for travelers, such as yourself. I understand that you do have a choice of lodging providers, and breakfast included maybe a factor in making your lodging choice, more than price. Consumers like yourself are making informed decisions about their lodging needs that helps shape our industry. Your input on this matter is greatly appreciated. With a tight economy for travelers, for a hotel the cost of food items, delivery, and fuel surcharges, that if we were to have a full breakfast, we would no longer be able to offer such low rates. In keeping the room rates low, we will still be able to at least offer the basic continental breakfast. A larger breakfast would have a significant cost that would have to be passed on to the consumers. In the current economy that is an important aspect. In the end, we will always do our best to remain a clean, comfortable, safe, and economical lodging choice for travelers.

Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business.

Red Roof Inn