“Drastic Improvements!”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Clive
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Drastic Improvements!”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have been frequenting this Hotel for quite some time. The price has always been reasonable, even through the transitions of new ownership. The staff is always respectful & willing to go out of their way to help with what they can. I do know that I've had issues with the "maid department" (in the past), but this last stay was fabulous! My room was cleaner than it ever had been before, so whatever they are doing, they're doing it right! I believe the new owners have taken on quite a task with the remodeling, but it is making a huge diference already! There is nothing like a smile that will greet you at the door after being road weary! Thank you Sterling Hotel!

Room Tip: Splurge on a Penthouse Suite, they are phenomenal!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Chicago,
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I recently stayed at the Sterling for a quick stop in Des Moines for one night. I enjoyed the stay so much I have already booked my next stay at this property. The front desk was adequately staffed and there was no wait checking in. The staff was very helpful showing me to the suite and answering a few questions about the area. New carpet and furniture throughout my suite was a pleasant surprise. I highly recommend The Sterling Hotel & Suites.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anthony G
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I checked in at Sterling Suites for an overnight stay in West Des Moines. I was greeted by an extremely courteous staff member, who also showed me to my room. The room was large and very clean, Clean is always the important watch word for me when staying at a hotel. The beds were comfy and breakfast was included in the morning. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice room at a great price. There were also several ammenities offered, that I didn't have time to take advantage of--maybe next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We booked numerous rooms for our daughter's wedding. We even stayed at the hotel two weeks before the wedding to make sure things would go smoothly. So many problems with this hotel especially the front desk and management ruined our daughters wedding night by not having their honeymoon suite as promised. Nothing arranged as promised. Terrible frustrating experience. This is the worst run property we have ever stayed in. Shabby rooms.hideous landscaping, nasty breakfast, terrible staff. A nightmare from beginning to end.

Room Tip: Go to any other hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mrybthtauer

Travellers are raving about these Clive hotels

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for several days during the girls softball world series this summer. Rooms are spacious though dated. We had minor leakage from outside wall during a rainstorm, and under the carpet from our in-room HVAC system. Dishwasher was broken and took 2 calls and 2 days to fix. General Mgr was pleasant. Front desk staff pleasant but forgetful. Nothing that would make us pack up and leave, but nothing that would make me come back either.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Dwiguy
Greene, Iowa
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Our most recent stay here was a great experience. We needed a larger room so we got a 2 bedroom loft and it was great. Lots of room, full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms and convenient location. The carpet was in need of replacement, but all-in-all it was a good experience.

We stayed here once before and it wasn't as good. The room was small and in need of attention. Vertical blinds were falling down. Couldn't keep light out d/t missing panels, plus privacy issue. Carpet was in need of replacement. Not a nice room in general. Hard to believe the two rooms were at the same hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Canandaigua, New York
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Lost many amenities - NOT the way to run a hotel. I have stayed here numerous times over 12 years and have loved it. Our August trip was a disaster since this is now Sterling and no longer Chase Suites. Maids tried to steal items from our fridge; swimming pool had water bugs in it and was closed for a time; TV remote didn't work, phone didn't work, wifi didn't work. No Des Moines Register, no hot tub, no "happy hour", no fresh fruit, no coffee creamer, no yogurt - we did not eat breakfast once there during our stay. Rooms not ready when promised, fewer cleaning people and more cleaners who were loud and generally not working. One night trash was left out and we had chewed-up rib bones outside our room the next morning. Good thing was the general manager took $35 off of our rate for half of our trip. Unfortunately we now must find a new quality hotel, unless these new owners get their act together. I am from Des Moines and visit family often in Des Moines so we are there several times a year.

Room Tip: Building 8 had no phone or wifi w hen we were there. It is also next to building where maids hang ou...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heatherbluesky2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clive
Wildwood Lodge
#11 of 48 in Des Moines
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
La Quinta Inn & Suites Des Moines-West-Clive
Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive

Been to Sterling Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!