“Better call to make your reservation; amenity list on website is not accurate!!”

Sterling Hotel and Suites
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Clive
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We were looking for a room for a special occasion, and we thought we found the perfect place! Suites with fireplaces, full size appliances, and fully equipped kitchen area. I have stayed here in the past for a quick overnight, and had no issues. We booked on the website for a three night stay, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday nights.
We arrived, and went to our suite. The only part that was right about the suite was the queen bed. I went back to the front desk, and inquired as to why our suite did not have a fireplace as the amenity list showed. The front desk clerk said he would see if there was a 'special request' made for the room, and I said that there was not; why should I have to make a special request for an amenity that showed as being included in the room? He informed me that they had no other rooms with fireplaces available. Because it was too late to cancel, we stayed and decided to try to make the best of it.
We had brought food to make for our special occasion dinner, and, to our surprise, the room contained one sauce pan (big enough for a can of soup), and one small frying pan, no coooking pots, and only one cooking utensil. So, our plans for eating in were shot, as we couldn't make the dinner that we had brought all the ingredients for.
So, we decided to order delivery, and as we were waiting, we looked around the room. Other than not having the fireplace that we were expecting, and the lack of cooking equipment, the room was actually in good shape. We were upset about the problem with the room, and decided that we would check out after one night and find a different place closer to our final destination instead. I got on the hotel website, and left a comment for the manager.
The next morning, I went to the front desk to check out, and the person working there said "oh, I read your comments this morning, and I emailed you back; did you see that?". I told her no, and she said that she would be willing to move us to a penthouse room for the remainder of our stay, which I turned down; if we had wanted to climb stairs to a penthouse, we would have booked a penthouse to begin with, and besides, we had already booked a different hotel. She then offered me a voucher for another stay, which I also turned down. They could have offered us all of the free things in the world, and it would not have made up for the mistake from the previous night; our special occasion was ruined, and nothing could have fixed that. By the way, that email NEVER showed up in my inbox, so I can't honestly say that it was ever truly sent.
My advice is to call the hotel to make a reservation, and confirm the amenities that are in the room; do NOT rely on the website for its accuracy!

Room Tip: Call to make the reservation. List of amenities on the website is not accurate.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shelly J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
West Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have been frequenting this Hotel for quite some time. The price has always been reasonable, even through the transitions of new ownership. The staff is always respectful & willing to go out of their way to help with what they can. I do know that I've had issues with the "maid department" (in the past), but this last stay was fabulous! My room was cleaner than it ever had been before, so whatever they are doing, they're doing it right! I believe the new owners have taken on quite a task with the remodeling, but it is making a huge diference already! There is nothing like a smile that will greet you at the door after being road weary! Thank you Sterling Hotel!

Room Tip: Splurge on a Penthouse Suite, they are phenomenal!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Chicago,
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I recently stayed at the Sterling for a quick stop in Des Moines for one night. I enjoyed the stay so much I have already booked my next stay at this property. The front desk was adequately staffed and there was no wait checking in. The staff was very helpful showing me to the suite and answering a few questions about the area. New carpet and furniture throughout my suite was a pleasant surprise. I highly recommend The Sterling Hotel & Suites.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anthony G
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I checked in at Sterling Suites for an overnight stay in West Des Moines. I was greeted by an extremely courteous staff member, who also showed me to my room. The room was large and very clean, Clean is always the important watch word for me when staying at a hotel. The beds were comfy and breakfast was included in the morning. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice room at a great price. There were also several ammenities offered, that I didn't have time to take advantage of--maybe next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We booked numerous rooms for our daughter's wedding. We even stayed at the hotel two weeks before the wedding to make sure things would go smoothly. So many problems with this hotel especially the front desk and management ruined our daughters wedding night by not having their honeymoon suite as promised. Nothing arranged as promised. Terrible frustrating experience. This is the worst run property we have ever stayed in. Shabby rooms.hideous landscaping, nasty breakfast, terrible staff. A nightmare from beginning to end.

Room Tip: Go to any other hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mrybthtauer

Travellers are raving about these Clive hotels

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for several days during the girls softball world series this summer. Rooms are spacious though dated. We had minor leakage from outside wall during a rainstorm, and under the carpet from our in-room HVAC system. Dishwasher was broken and took 2 calls and 2 days to fix. General Mgr was pleasant. Front desk staff pleasant but forgetful. Nothing that would make us pack up and leave, but nothing that would make me come back either.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Dwiguy
Greene, Iowa
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Our most recent stay here was a great experience. We needed a larger room so we got a 2 bedroom loft and it was great. Lots of room, full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms and convenient location. The carpet was in need of replacement, but all-in-all it was a good experience.

We stayed here once before and it wasn't as good. The room was small and in need of attention. Vertical blinds were falling down. Couldn't keep light out d/t missing panels, plus privacy issue. Carpet was in need of replacement. Not a nice room in general. Hard to believe the two rooms were at the same hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clive
Wildwood Lodge
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
#13 of 48 in Des Moines
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive

Been to Sterling Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!