All reviews social hour des moines meatballs real plates happy hour clean rooms refrigerator and microwave would stay here again hot tub easy access lobby area comfortable bed waffles great place to stay great room front desk clerk convenient location
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was an extremely clean hotel. I was very impressed! I walked from our room to the vending machines and back while barefoot and didn't even get dirty feet in the public hallways! Breakfast was good, but crowded. The pool is nice to have, but it is kind of weird that it is the first thing you see when you walk in the front door. Rooms were really nice, and we had a pretty new A/C unit - my husband works in HVAC and he was quite impressed with it.

The man at the front desk when we came in could not have been more bored to be there. He was very cursory and barely said hello. The lady when we checked out was very nice, but the first impression of the staff wasn't the best.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Nice hotel, near the interstate and our friends. It is near the Greenway trail system that runs throughout the Des Moines area. We came to a bicycle event so this was a perfect spot for us. The dining area is rather small at busy times, but works.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed at this Best Western 2 years ago and enjoyed my visit, but the quality of service, breakfast, and happy hour has diminished. I was also a little grossed out because the hotel lobby had some sort of ultimate fighting/wrestling/boxing show on the t.v. during "happy hour". We were checking in and my kids were having snacks while this was on the t.v.

1  Thank Andrea S
kaczusia, Owner at Best Western Plus Des Moines West Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Andrea, we are sorry that you did not find us as appealing as on your previous visits. We have been continuously improving the property and the free social hour remains as the only one offered in our competitive set. I am sorry that you did not find it appealing, after all it is hard to find the value of something that is offered free to all customers. Most of all I am sorry that my receptionist did not monitor closely enough the tv program viewed so you had to be exposed to a Wrestling show.
Happy travels from the staff at the Best Western Clive!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Hotel staff couldn't have been friendlier and told us where to go to get discounted theme park tickets. Hotel was very clean. Kids loved the pool and hot tub. Room had plenty of space, refrigerator, microwave, 2 TV's. Breakfast was great, plenty of choices. Spent 2 nights here, could have stayed longer.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Jennifer, thank you kindly for your words about my property and our staff. I am very pleased that your family was able to enjoy our facilities and hope to see you coming back soon. Happy travels!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

To start, we had a king suite and it was smaller than a two double bed room! It was room 224--you could not use the pull out couch and walk around the bed to the other side of the room...way to small! Next, there is absolutely no air conditioning in the lobby or breakfast area or hallways...it is cooler outside in the shade than in the lobby! It has been this way for 2 days! Also, a concern is the junk--tables, chairs,carts, etc. that are stored in the hallway leading to the fire exit door on first floor? Last I knew you had to keep a fire exit clear of stuff for safety! Also, they do not allow you to sit in the lobby area to visit, even with the tables, chairs, and couches there. And finally, 2 ice machines in the entire building and both have ice in them- you can hear the ice rolling around inside but it is stuck and no ice will come out...both machines! Therefore, no ice! Good luck if you book here, we, along with many others traveling with us will not stay here again! We have had some really great hotels for the same price!!!

Room Tip: Room 224 is very small for a suite!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Amy, thank you very much for your review and let me address your concerns below. You did not have a king suite but just a standard king room, which comes with a sleeper sofa. That is the room your team contracted for and no suite was offered anywhere along the line, just a standard king room, I am sorry if you were mislead to expect a suite.
Secondly, we do not allow teams and large groups to congregate in our lobby as they tend to turn it into a loud sports bar, especially as alcohol is consumed. For that reason we ask all teams to sign our code of conduct letter to clarify it from the outset and one is even provided to your team by the third party that helps to arrange your rooms. Some hotels have adjoining bars and restaurants for this sort of gatherings but since we just have the lobby area it creates disruption in our operations and inconveniences customers checking in as well as resident guests.
I would like to apologize for the faulty air conditioning which did not function properly during your stay but since your stay in the hallways was minimal hopefully you were not too inconvenienced. The ice machines were working but with a large team presence were promptly emptied out of ice and took several hours to replenish, I do apologize for the inconvenience. Lastly storing the tables and chairs in the hallway was a temporary necessity as the meeting room was used for a large gathering needing maximum floor space, they are normally back in the room and therefore not impeding access to the fire door. Thank you very much for pointing that out, however.