“Not clean, poorly managed”
Review of Colfax Inn

Colfax Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Colfax
Peosta, Iowa
“Not clean, poorly managed”
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We stayed here for two nights, never again. At 1:00 in the morning a couple were trying to get in our room, because the desk had just assigned them the same room. We had four people in our room, but they only gave us towels for three. Then had to wait while they washed more towels in the laundry room the patrons used. They hot tub was broke and looked like it had been for a while. The ceiling was peeling in the swim area and they did not have enough towels for patrons. The breakfast area was dirty and grimy and there was hairy in the gravy. YUCK!!! Will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank apollo9357

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Allons, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Have stayed at this motel four out of the last six years while attending the Iowa Corn 250 IRL race in Newton, IA. Up until this year it was the perfect place to stay. Rooms were clean, staff was friendly and the services were great. This was when the motel was until the Choice Hotels banner and called the Comfort Inn. It is my understanding that in August of 2010, the motel was sold and it became the Colfax Inn, choosing not to stay under the Choice Hotels banner. Well, this year when we want back, the rates have risen, the services have been reduced, the hot tub was broken, the computer in the lobby was no more and the breakfast menu has been greatly reduced. When I asked about the breakfast pastries, I was told that "our boss will not buy pastries". It's very obvious that the new owners are doing things "on the cheap". When we go back to Iowa for the IRL race next year, we won't be staying at the Colfax Inn. Save your money. Don't' stay at the Colfax Inn.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank TennesseeBuckeye

Travellers are raving about these Colfax hotels

Alcester, South Dakota
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I was extremely disappointed in this hotel last weekend. The price was extremely inflated due to the fact it is located between Iowa Speedway and Adventureland. First of all, it says its a Comfort Inn, but I really had my doubts. Maybe it once was, but it had the feeling of a privately owned, low-funded hotel.

Our reservation was for a Saturday night, on a race weekend. Due to rain delays, we knew we were going to be getting to the hotel late, so we called to make sure they would still be holding our room for us, which we had reserved a week prior to our stay. They assured us they would hold our room until 1:30 am.

We showed up at midnight, and the first thing we noticed was that the hot tub was under repair. Not a good sign on a busy weekend! Then we were asked if we had reserved a King-bed room. I said yes, and then the manager told us there were no more available and told us he would put us in a double instead. I don't understand why we reserved a room, was assured our room was being held for us when we called in, but then was told our room that we ordered was unavailable when we checked in? If the manager could not give me the room I specifically ordered, then why did I reserve it in the first place? I think a discount should have been offered for screwing up my reservation. For the price I had to pay for this old, run-down hotel, I could have spent a few bucks more, drove a few miles more, and stayed at Embassy. Or for that matter, went accross the road and stayed at the chain hotel that had rooms advertised for $49.95. Never again will I be staying here!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dakotamomof4
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Great hotel that used to be a Comfort Inn. (The sign is still on the outside of the hotel) It is a older hotel that has been maintained quite well, but you can see where the owner should spend a little more on maintenance. The pool was nice but the whirlpool and fitness facilities were not working. The room was nice and comfortable. The managers were very nice and accommodating. There is only a McDonald's across the street from the hotel. The subway is being rebuilt, if you want anything else, you have to go into town. Overall, great value for the price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank abbynot
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I made a booking in error and cancelled as soon as I realized my mistake (well before the date of the reservation and according to their cancellation policy). They charged my credit card for the entire booking and now are refusing to credit my account.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank giardiniera
Romeoville, Illinois
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This is no longer a Comfort Inn. It is now Colfax Inn. We stayed there May 28, 2012. Checked in at 9 PM. At about 11 to 11:30 pm, somone was trying to come into our room, and banging loudly on the door, yelling if someone was in the room!! It was the manager, and he got the door open, but the latch prevented him from coming in. I told him thru the door that we were in there, and we had checked in earlier. He said he had it down that this room was empty. At that time, I still did not know who he was. I called the front desk immediately, and he answered, and said he was the manager, and it was he who tried coming in. He did apologize, and had some wierd excuse that he thought the room was empty, and was wanting to fis the key thing on the door - that it needed a new battery. Who the heck does maintenance at 11:30 at night!!?!? And why did he yell so loudly, and angrily that we were even in the room? I could not sleep well at all the rest of the night. I asked to be comped at least 1/2 the next morning, but they would not give me one dime back for my troubles. Very bad businessman, in my opinion.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Jean U
Iowa City
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This property used to be owned by Comfort Inn and was a very nice hotel. The change of ownership to the couple that owns and manages it was definitely not a positive change. I stayed with a group and we had 5 rooms rented. Several of the rooms weren't cleaned during our two day stay. No new towels were placed in the rooms either. Two of the rooms had a bathroom door that wouldn't even lock.

The pool was cold but we did spend a lot of time in it and had fun. On the deep end of the pool was a ladder to climb out. One of the (metal) steps was broken off on one side and just hanging there ready to slice someone's foot open. I informed the staff and they seemed concerned and said they would take care of it. It was still that way the next day. The hot tub was broken and blocked off. The "exercise room is a very small room with a bike and maybe a treadmill.

The staff was very friendly, but the overall experience was below par. It seems as though they are barely getting by, as they even reuse the room key holders (which are all nasty and worn). The breakfast was probably one of the biggest let downs. They had some cereal, a gross looking waffle maker, the usual bread/bagels. Then for hot food there were two crock pots. One had sausage gravy and one had biscuits. Be aware that if you want to invite a non-guest to join you for this amazing breakfast, it is clearly stated that "Non-guests, $5.00 charge".

There is also a sign in the breakfast area that says "Subway opening soon nearby" Take that gesture as you will.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Trevor S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colfax
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Colfax/Newton
Days Inn Newton
Days Inn Newton
#3 of 8 in Newton
Best Western Holiday Manor Newton
Boulders Inn & Suites Newton
Best Western Plus Altoona Inn
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Newton

Been to Colfax Inn? Share your experiences!