“Really nice room, great breakfast, friendly staff”
Review of Colfax Inn

Colfax Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Colfax
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Dec 19, 2013 and had a really nice time. The room was huge (see pics). I had the king size room which had a king bed, full couch, coffee table, desk, mini frig and microwave. One of the largest rooms I had experienced in all of my hotel stays. The bed felt great. Very comfortable. When I checked in, the gentleman at the front desk mentioned several nice restaurants in town which were good. I checked out one of them (Poppys) and had a great meal at a very reasonable price. The breakfast in the morning was very good. Hot waffles, assortment of breads/muffins, juices, coffee etc. (See pics). There must have been 8-10 tables in the b'fast area so at least 30-40 people could eat there at one time without any problems. So hotels I have stayed at in the past only had a few table, so seating was an issue. Not at this hotel. The pool area was closed during my stay. I asked the front desk lady the next morning why it was closed and she said due to maintenance. I plan to be back in the area in a couple of weeks and will be booking this hotel again for that stay. For the price, it will be my hotel of choice whenever I am in this area. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Colfax Inn

Reviewed 15 December 2013

When we arrived and entered our room, it was very clean. The beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows. The pool area was closed due to a heater being out. We were able to enjoy breakfast before our day started. They had cereal, coffee, tea, bagels, donuts, toast, and waffles. I would have liked to see some yogurt, fresh fruit and juice. The room didn't have an alarm clock, but told the gentleman at the front desk. There was very good water pressure. There is a McDonald's and subway within walking distance. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just passing though and I booked this place on a travel site. I asked if there was a tub suite available and I upgraded.

Room was very clean and the tub was fantastic. (room 126)
The bed was a very comfortable king size. This room had a microwave and small fridge but an ancient tube-TV...Hey, it has a hot tub...why are you watching TV?

We liked it so much that on our return trip we stayed there again in the same room.

Pool wasn't available (under repairs?) so that was a bit of a bummer.

Right across the street is a gas station with a McDonalds and Subway within walking distance if you need a bite to eat.

The free breakfast was ok. Cereal, waffles, bagels, some fruit.

Free internet.

Room Tip: Room 126 is a hot tub suite. I think the 2nd flood is mostly smoking as I could smell a heavy smoke...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ewestpfahl
Reviewed 4 November 2013

If you are looking for a very reasonable and comfortable place to stay, while visiting Des Moines this is it. just off I-80 just east of Des Moines....My husband and I stayed there November 2-3. We will be staying at Colfax Inn from now on! Even though it was 1/2 the price, the king bed room was 1/2 again the size of a comparable room at Ramada, Best western or Super 8. Dinette, fridge and microwave included. The rooms and common areas where a LOT cleaner than Super 8 and amenities are comparable to Best Western. Free WiFi. Pets allowed for an overnight fee (like just about anywhere). Best deal the the money any where in the Des Moines area; highly recommended for anyone looking for a nice place to stay on a budget.

Room Tip: They are completely renovating the fitness and hot tub areas (pool is open). These will be availabl...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pat D
Reviewed 27 October 2013

An independent hotel that is a gem. My family and I stayed 2 nights for an event in Des Moines. The pool was awesome and it was great to wear out the kids, nice and clean. We got connecting rooms because of the children and we wanted some alone time (or as much as you can have traveling), both were very clean and nice. The breakfast was pretty normal for a lot of hotels but the kids loved making waffles and actually ate them. Could of used some fruit though.

We go to Des Moines a few times a year and have found a home away from home. The front desk guy was very pleasant to work with. The staff was helpful.

Room Tip: If you have kids and want some privacy get connecting rooms, works well. Talk to Ed, he is very help...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rick A
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Have stayed at this place numerous times in the past and always found it very nice, but those times they were affiliated with a motel chain. This time that was not the case, and it showed. I was there to just get some sleep and avoid a long drive home in the middle of the night after attending a sporting event. The first room they gave me had a strong odor of what smelled like a combination of mildew, cleaner, and hairspray. I thought I would get used to it, but it was bad enough that my nose burned and I couldn’t get to sleep. After getting up and complaining they gave me another room across the hall. The odor wasn’t as bad, but it was still there. The mattresses in both rooms were worn out. I managed to nod off for about an hour only to wake up unable to get comfortable on the bad mattress. I then decided I’d be better off driving the two hour trip home in the middle of the night than trying to stay there and get any sleep. Needless to say, I will NOT be making any reservations here again.
Oh, and not that I cared or wanted to use it, but the pool is still closed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Have stayed there a few times, whenever going through the area for business. It has always been clean, quiet, friendly and comfortable. The breakfast could be better, but is normal for the price. The last time that I was there, the pool was being worked on by a couple of workers so could not use it, have encountered this at hotels before so it is not unique to this hotel. Look forward to using it the next time since it is indoors.

This is not a top dollar hotel but certainly better than most at the prices they charge.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Steve S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colfax
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Colfax/Newton
Days Inn Newton
Days Inn Newton
#4 of 8 in Newton
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Newton
Boulders Inn & Suites Newton
Best Western Holiday Manor Newton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Newton

Been to Colfax Inn? Share your experiences!