“Lovely place with great location near a lot of dining options for road weary travelers.”

Holiday Inn Express Coralville
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

After a very long day of travel this place was definitely a good choice. We were meant to stop in Des Moines on our way home via I-80 east but every IHG group hotel was booked so we kept going. Glad we did. Friendly service and a goody bag! Very quick bringing a rollaway. Will make this our standard stop when on this route again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013
amandacturner, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

I am so happy you decided to keep driving and had the opportunity to be our guest at the Holiday Inn Express, Coralville. Thank you for your kind words! We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you through the Iowa City/Coralville area.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

One of the best hotels we stay at while we travel from utah to new jersey My kids and my wife love it Staff is always freindly the hotel is in a great location next to the mall, you get 15%% off your meal at the resturant in the mall We stay here 4 to 6 times a year and never had a problem hearing the people above or with the shower And the beds and pillows are very soft I reccomend this place to everyone who stays in coralville Thanks so much Ken & Cindy Oppel and family

Room Tip: Great place to stay Very quiet and enjoyed the views from the higher floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

We really appreciate you taking the time to talk about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Coralville! Our staff takes a lot of pride in their customer service and they will love hearing how much you enjoyed your stay. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the discount at Bennigan's - they have such great food! We look forward to your family's next visit.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

It's a classic holiday inn hotel, with a good continental breakfast. The way that I describe as a good breakfast is because at least you can eat something before you go out. I prefer the pancakes and coffee, I need to say that the coffee is not the best and sometimes I buy coffee in a cafe near from the hotel. Let me say that in some others holiday inn the breakfast is not included. So, this is a good point on this hotel. The upgrate room is simply great, comfortable, big, two screens, one on the bedroom and another in the living room. Yes, the bedroom is another room apart from the clasic bed-desk-sofa that you find in all hotels like this kind. There is a small fitness room and a pool inside the hotel. If I'm not wrong, Wed & Thu you can find snacks and beer in the breakfast area free, just leave a tip to the server. Near from the hotel is the Coral ridge mall and in front of the hotel there are several restaurants, very convenient if you don't want to walk for a dinner

Room Tip: I recommend the upgrade room
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
amandacturner, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

We at the Holiday Inn Express, Coralville are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Your upgraded suite was one of our largest rooms in the hotel and I am so glad you enjoyed the extra space.
Our breakfast attendants work very hard to keep all the food fresh and hot in the morning and they were happy you enjoyed your morning meal. I appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay and look forward to having you as our guest again when your travels bring you through the Iowa City/Coralville area.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

The hotel looks fairly new, the staff is nice, but the upkeep is poor. My room had carpet that was filthy, I could not take my shoes off without being disgusted - my feet stuck to the carpet and you could hear when I lifted my feet (it was gross). The carpets are dark in the first place, but you could still see the traffic areas very clearly. Additionally, there were bugs: big bugs, little bugs, and tiny bugs. I picked up no less than a dozen bugs and put them down the toilet in a 3 day stay. If they would just keep it clean, it would be a nice hotel.

I have been extremely disappointed the the Holiday Inn brand lately. It is unfortunate, they have invested in revamping older hotels and building new ones, just to have them neglected.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve C
amandacturner, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Steve, I'd like to thank you for your response. I might also take the opportunity to state that our guest room carpeting was all replaced earlier this year, so your comments did surprise me a little. We concluded a renovation of over 1.2 million dollars in February of 2013 and the guestroom carpeting was one of the last items that we renovated as even the previous carpeting was not that old. I know Holiday Inn has multiple properties in our area and we have been confused with one another before in online reviews so I'd like to confirm your comments were specific to the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites of Corallville. Our new carpeting is a bright orange color. I'm also not accostumed to hearing of concerns relating to any types of bugs in our rooms. We have window screems on all room windows and they are even caulked in just to keep any unwanted visitors on the exterior of our hotel when guests do chose to open their guestroom windows. I would like to apologize if any experience at a Holiday Inn branded property let you down and I can assure you that I will share your comments with my team.

Thank you again for your comments and I would like to stress that we take great pride in the cleanliness of our facility.

Neal Roth

Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

I have to say again this is one of best hotels to stay at! Awesome staff and resturtant team, amazing food and comfortable rooms. This hotel is one of the reasons I have stayed as a pority member!

Stay here, if you are In this area and be sure to check out the bar and resturtant!

• Stayed: May 2013
amandacturner, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

I am pleased to hear how much you enjoy being our guest! Our staff works hard to ensure each guest knows how truly valuable you are and they will enjoy reading your remarks. Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Coralville. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I have been an extended-stay guest for over six weeks at this hotel and have to say it is a wonderful hotel!! The staff and the hotel have all been awesome and really treat you like family. Rooms and common areas are very clean and they have a great, full breakfast every morning and also offer a managers social Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, with great food and beer and wine...a great treat!!!
Neal and Amanda are great managers that really pay attention to detail and have trained their staff very well!

Room Tip: All the rooms are awesome!! :)
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
amandacturner, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

I am so happy to hear how much you are enjoying your stay with us! I know our staff (myself and Neal included) have really loved getting to know you during your time with us. The Holiday Inn Express, Coralville's evening reception continues to be a favorite of our weekday guests and I am glad you find it as relaxing as others do.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I will share your comments with our staff who will be delighted to know how pleased you are with their services.

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel around midnight last night when we hit severe weather on I-80. I had a pleasant experience with the manager on duty, Krystal. However, once I got my family inside & my husband took a shower, the smoke detector went off because there is no fan/vent in the bathroom. It went off for a good 3 minutes while I fanned it with a towel. This was at 1:45AM. No one knocked on our door to make sure we were ok or called our room phone. Weird. Ok, so this morning I took my shower & yes, the alarm went off again. It was now almost 9 am, so I propped the room door open while I waited for the alarm to stop. This time, the housekeeper literally stood at the end of the hall staring at our room. No concern, no questions to make sure we were ok, just stared & waited for me to close the door.

So we went to breakfast and I dropped off the room card keys to the front desk staff, told her about the alarm and she said "well we turn them off until the morning, so that shouldn't have happened" to which I said that it just happened & she just shrugged and said, oh well, sorry. The end.

My concern is that NO one from the hotel staff cared enough to check on a guest when an alarm was going off. I don't care that it stopped after a few minutes. You would think they would care. Also, we paid $115 to be blasted with an alarm for (gasp) taking a shower. And do they turn off the fans or the alarms?? She didn't make that clear nor cared to expound.

If you want me to talk about the hotel itself, it was ok. We stayed there based on Trip Advisors #4 hotel rating (out of 18, I believe). The lobby is nice but the room is average. On the small side (2 queens) but enough room for us to sleep for a few hours and let the storm pass. The breakfast area was small & after watching guests get their food in bare feet or socks only while staff didn't greet anyone there, I didn't care to eat much of the reconstituted scrambled eggs. Or the hard boiled ones that were still frozen in the fridge. But my kids did enjoy the pancake maker.

I hope this review helps you make a decision. I don't think the hotel is bad enough to deter someone to stay but I think the smoke detector issue is a big one. At least check on your guests and make sure they are ok. OR tell them that you turn things off at night. If its the alarm that you turn off at the front desk then you are seriously wrong and waiting for a lawsuit... And no, this isn't my first HIExpress stay.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Amelia F
amandacturner, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for your comments and allowing me the chance to respond to your concern. I would like to assure you that we do take the safety and security of all of our guests and all of our staff members very seriously. On the evening of your stay, the internet weather reports were calling for a "torrential downpour" along with the possibilty of tornados in the area. During major thunderstorms, the weap holes(drain holes) in our guest room windows do not always allow water to drain faster than the window sill tracks fill up with water. This is because we have very powerful roof mounted exhaust fans that are normally running 24 hours per day to pull moisture out of all of guest room bathrooms. On this evening, it was necessary to turn those exhaust fans off to equalize the air pressure in the hotel so that water would drain properly from our window sill tracks. This must have caused the steam from your shower to set of your individual room smoke detector. The smoke detector in your room is quite sensative and rather loud, however it is not tied to the hotels main fire alarm panel. This is the case in any hotel, because once the main fire alarm panel is tripped, the fire department will be in route and the process of evacuating the hotel will begin. There are many reasons why our individual guest room smoke detectors may go off, including the fact that many frequent travelers personally test these for themselves to ensure their personal safety. In the event that an actual fire breaks out in an individual room, then the sprikler head for that room would be acticvated and the front desk would be notified via our main fire alarm control panel.

I can assure you that our housekeeping team is well trained in regards to our main fire alarm system, such as our fire alarm pull stations, public area smoke detectors, sprinkler heads, the use of fire extinguishers, and in regards to evacuation drills.

Thank you again for being our guest. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again anytime. Thank you.