“Not clean”

AmericInn Coralville
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I had reserved two rooms. My room was not too bad, but shower had mold on the curtain and some hair in it. Oh, and a bug in the tub in the am. The other room was ok, OTHER than the pizza box and other garbage on the room table. How do you miss that when making up a room? Asked for another room which was VERY musty/moldy. Finally got a third room which was just okay. The place just isn't very clean in general and you can see repairs that were done but not to finish quality. It's not an expensive hotel and in a lot of college towns you see the lesser hotels in this kind of condition. If a not-so-clean room bothers you, look elsewhere but just know many of the hotels in Iowa City at this price point are similar.

One positive was the free Wifi was easy to access and very quick (for hotel standards). And lady at front desk was very nice and apologetic.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for AmericInn Coralville

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We booked a room at the AmericInn in Coralville, IA because it was cheap and they allowed pets. We showed up at 2am. The whole place smelled of smoke, which made me leery to start with. But, exhausted 9 months pregnant, with a two year old on my hip, my husband loaded with bags, we carry our stuff up to the second floor and enter our room only to find SOMEONE SLEEPING IN IT! Thank goodness he wasn't in there having sex, or awoke with a weapon or had a dog that charged at us! Back down to the lobby...at 2 am, pregnant, with a two year old and all our luggage, only to get a new 'non-smoking' room that smelled so badly of smoke, my two year old started crying hysterically the second we walked in. 2 am, pregnant, with a two year old, all our luggage, marched out the door and straight to another hotel. Worst. hotel. ever.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

First, I've been to several AmericInn hotels with my dog and had a pleasant experience. However, this location didn't live up to my expectations. The shower curtain had mold on it, and there were bugs in my room, that I didn't realize until my dog woke me up to all his movement in the room. Not sure if they bugs were because of the field in the back of the hotel, but there were bugs in my room. On the plus side, the bugs kept my dog up all night so that he was so exhausted in the morning and didn't mind the 10 hour car ride.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with your dog, make sure not to get room 128
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed recently with a large family group, taking 4 rooms for the night at their "locked" (non-cancellable) rate. They did scatter our rooms around the motel a bit more than I expected, but that wasn't a big deal, as we were able to put at least one adult into each room with children. Overall, everyone was satisfied with our accommodations, and I was satisfied with the price, so I wouldn't have any qualms about staying here again if I'm in Coralville for the night.

I didn't feel the level of cleanliness was quite up to my expectations for the Americinn chain, but admittedly my expectations were pretty high, so conditions were far from bad. My companion noted a bit of mildew and a few dead bugs in the bathroom, but it is summer in Iowa, and dead is much better than alive!

The staff was friendly and the breakfast met my expectations. Selections included waffles, muffins, yogurt, juice, etc.

Bottom line? I found it a pretty decent value.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Unauthorized charge on my card. Our team reserved a block of rooms as we had in the past. The tournament was rained out and I called in time and cancelled and received cancellation confirmation number. A debit posted on my card anyway for the room charge. When I called, they assured me they did not charge my card as I was looking at my bank statement online showing the debit. Finally after talking with a manager, she said another parents room had been charged to my card because they didn't call and cancel. How absurd!! I authorized one room for my family- we never hold a block of rooms on one credit card- we always have a deadline to call and reserve and each family reserves their own room. Very crooked and devious- she refused to refund the charge which I was assured had never occurred, unless the other parent called even though this was unauthorized. I would not recommend this hotel under any circumstances!!! Book at your own risk!!

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The lobby area and bedrooms have updated decor....bathroom could use update. Price is very reasonable for a college town. Close to lots of shopping and restaurants. Perfect if not spending alot of time in room.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Front office clerk had to take a smoke break before checking into an already occupied room. My husband walked in on a couple getting ready for bed! So- we were given a different room that was dusty, had mold in the coffee maker, and the beds looked as if they had been slept in. Bathroom had rings in the toilet, No towels. Breakfast was not one time- 45 minutes late-Counter were dirty- food was left over from the day before. Extremely dissatisfied with cleanliness, and customer service. Beds were comfortable(we had to switch rooms 2 times before we had a clean one.) Halls were dusty. It looks as if the management staff needs to be overhauled. Being "nice" does not make someone a good manager. Don't stay here. Would not recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
coralville_ia, Manager at AmericInn Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel--we very much appreciate your feedback so we can continue striving to provide the best possible experience for our guests.

I am very sorry to hear about the inconveniences you experienced during check in as well as throughout your stay. Please know that your feedback has been heard and the cleanliness and breakfast issues you encountered will be used in additional training for our staff as we take each of these issues seriously. Your experience of entering a room that is already occupied is an unacceptable mistake and has been addressed to ensure guest safety and privacy in the future.

If you would like to discuss these issues further, please contact me directly. I would like to make this right and earn back your recommendation.

Thank you again for sharing your experience at our hotel and giving us the opportunity to make it right.

Nicole Heincy
AmericInn of Coralville, IA.