“Mold!”

Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Des Moines, Iowa
“Mold!”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

As I walked into my room, it smelled like mold. The toilet was growing mold all around the rim and at the water edges. The shower curtain had a lot of mold on it too. I told the front desk and they said they would replace the curtain and clean the toilet. The toilet was cleaned, but the curtain was replaced with a mold stained one.

The bath tub was clean but stained badly, as was the toilet seat. It just look gross. I really didn't want to shower.

The ironing board cover didn't fit and the padding was all crumpled up. I did get a new ironing board.

The bed was ok, but not that supportive. It felt like it had been used a lot and needed to be replaced.

On the positive side, the docorations were pleasant with tasteful colors. They had a nice set up of the microwave, coffee, and fridge in one stacked wooden shelf-like piece of furniture.

The breakfast was ok, but I'm just happy to have breakfast period.

I was disappointed and will not stay at this AmericInn again and will be hesitant to stay at others as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Vassar
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Traveling through from Kansas found this hotel after a few tries at other more expensive ones. This one was a good low price BUT you get what you pay for. Older hotel, rooms are very dated, beds are low but comfortable. The room looked worn , clean enough for a one night stay. Needed a deep cleaning in corners. Air condition was very quite as was the hotel. Breakfast room had a very dirty sink someone needs to scrub down with comet or bar keepers friend. Food was just average. A little worried about the over charge on my bill, calling today to see why. I have seen this before with other hotels, it take a while to get your discounts. Hope this is the case.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

I had reserved two rooms. My room was not too bad, but shower had mold on the curtain and some hair in it. Oh, and a bug in the tub in the am. The other room was ok, OTHER than the pizza box and other garbage on the room table. How do you miss that when making up a room? Asked for another room which was VERY musty/moldy. Finally got a third room which was just okay. The place just isn't very clean in general and you can see repairs that were done but not to finish quality. It's not an expensive hotel and in a lot of college towns you see the lesser hotels in this kind of condition. If a not-so-clean room bothers you, look elsewhere but just know many of the hotels in Iowa City at this price point are similar.

One positive was the free Wifi was easy to access and very quick (for hotel standards). And lady at front desk was very nice and apologetic.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Indianapolis
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We booked a room at the AmericInn in Coralville, IA because it was cheap and they allowed pets. We showed up at 2am. The whole place smelled of smoke, which made me leery to start with. But, exhausted 9 months pregnant, with a two year old on my hip, my husband loaded with bags, we carry our stuff up to the second floor and enter our room only to find SOMEONE SLEEPING IN IT! Thank goodness he wasn't in there having sex, or awoke with a weapon or had a dog that charged at us! Back down to the lobby...at 2 am, pregnant, with a two year old and all our luggage, only to get a new 'non-smoking' room that smelled so badly of smoke, my two year old started crying hysterically the second we walked in. 2 am, pregnant, with a two year old, all our luggage, marched out the door and straight to another hotel. Worst. hotel. ever.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 August 2013

First, I've been to several AmericInn hotels with my dog and had a pleasant experience. However, this location didn't live up to my expectations. The shower curtain had mold on it, and there were bugs in my room, that I didn't realize until my dog woke me up to all his movement in the room. Not sure if they bugs were because of the field in the back of the hotel, but there were bugs in my room. On the plus side, the bugs kept my dog up all night so that he was so exhausted in the morning and didn't mind the 10 hour car ride.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with your dog, make sure not to get room 128
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
West Bend, Iowa
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed recently with a large family group, taking 4 rooms for the night at their "locked" (non-cancellable) rate. They did scatter our rooms around the motel a bit more than I expected, but that wasn't a big deal, as we were able to put at least one adult into each room with children. Overall, everyone was satisfied with our accommodations, and I was satisfied with the price, so I wouldn't have any qualms about staying here again if I'm in Coralville for the night.

I didn't feel the level of cleanliness was quite up to my expectations for the Americinn chain, but admittedly my expectations were pretty high, so conditions were far from bad. My companion noted a bit of mildew and a few dead bugs in the bathroom, but it is summer in Iowa, and dead is much better than alive!

The staff was friendly and the breakfast met my expectations. Selections included waffles, muffins, yogurt, juice, etc.

Bottom line? I found it a pretty decent value.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hamilton
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Unauthorized charge on my card. Our team reserved a block of rooms as we had in the past. The tournament was rained out and I called in time and cancelled and received cancellation confirmation number. A debit posted on my card anyway for the room charge. When I called, they assured me they did not charge my card as I was looking at my bank statement online showing the debit. Finally after talking with a manager, she said another parents room had been charged to my card because they didn't call and cancel. How absurd!! I authorized one room for my family- we never hold a block of rooms on one credit card- we always have a deadline to call and reserve and each family reserves their own room. Very crooked and devious- she refused to refund the charge which I was assured had never occurred, unless the other parent called even though this was unauthorized. I would not recommend this hotel under any circumstances!!! Book at your own risk!!

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family