“Good Hotel”

Heartland Inn - Coralville
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The hotel was easy to find and very clean. The check in was quick and efficient.

The directions to the elevator was vague, so I ended up dragging my suitcase back and forth down the hall until someone took pity on me and showed me where the elevator was located. No sign showing, so for you info, it is past the side entrance and halfway down the hall on the right side.

They offered ham and cheese sandwiches for the evening meal. Just OK Breakfast was better with a little guy that was a cleaning fool. He was all over the place cleaning up the messes and cooking the pancakes.

The room offered a little fridge and microwave in the room. Very handy for more than one night stays.

They offer free rides to the hospitals too. Nice service for people with family members who are ill or recovering.

I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Good luck finding the elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 May 2013

From the time I called in for reservations with Eric, and I checked in..everyone gave the BEST customer service. We were welcomed with smiles and I hope your drive was okay, to a wonderful Wednesday Night BBQ of Hot Dogs, Brats and Burgers on the grill. One of the wonderfull ladies printed of the TV schedual for my girls, and another Lady Told me how to Contact the Vital Records department.EVERYONE I came into contact with gave some of the best customer service I have ever seen. Working in Customer Service myself, I noticed how they all went out of there way to make my stay better. As Visiting the Hospital is not stressful enough, having not to worry about my stay was a HUGE relief..Definatly will stay again and recommened to all who go to Iowa City to stay here....

Thanks Heartland Inn.. SallyWohlstadter and Girls...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We stayed here for my cousins wedding, and opted for the Jacuzzi suite since it was only a bit more than the standard room. WONDERFUL full sized Jacuzzi! The bedding however was less wonderful. Flat pillows and our blanket had a whole in it. Contental breakfast was wonderful.. They even had an attendant making fresh pancakes and waffles. They also served soup in the lobby which I thought was a nice touch! If we go to Iowa City again we'd probably stay here

Room Tip: Go for the jacuzzi! It was worth it!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

Ashley,

Thank you for your review! I am glad that you enjoyed the whirlpool suite!! The suites are definitely the way to go!! I do apologize for the bedding issues. We are anxious to correct any problems you might encounter during your stay, should you travel our way again, please just let one of our Guest Services Representatives know and the problem will be addressed immediately. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy the fresh pancakes and waffles.....I agree, they are yummy!! We hope to see you again in the near future!!
Thank You!!

Reviewed 26 March 2013

My wife and I crashed here because it was halfway home during a long road trip and we didn't want to push through. We found it on hotwire.com and it was rated 2.5 stars. It's probably more of a 1.5 star. It's not dirty or anything like that, just pretty old and run down. They do serve breakfast in the AM and the staff was friendly enough. But the walls were paper thin - you could hear every noise above, below, and to the sides. Traffic noise from the street was very loud. When the heater and A/C kick on it's extremely loud. We wore ear plugs to get through the night. TV choices were OK. The bed was comfortable enough and the pillows were OK. The door on our bathroom wouldn't shut (didn't fit the door way, swollen, etc). But the bathroom was clean and had clearly been redone.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Debbie B, Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

Thank you for your recent review. I do apologize for the noise. We would have welcomed the oppportunity to quiet the neighboring rooms down or move you to the riverside of the hotel ( no traffic there). Our hotel is large enough and has a variety of room types, so finding you a very quiet room with a very quiet heater/AC would be no problem. We are aware of the need to update and actually have started the updating process as you observed in the bathroom. We are currently replacing all of the furniture as well. Thank you for noting the cleanliness of our hotel, we do appreciate it!! Again, thank you for your feedback!!

Reviewed 4 March 2013

My family and I recently needed a hotel to stay at near University Hospitals while my mom underwent cancer treatment. I tend to be a "hotel snob" and avoid lower price point hotels when I travel, but was really quite pleased with this gem in Coralville. I will start by saying the rooms are clean and well maintained. The beds are adequately comfortable. The showers are awesome with plenty of hot water and pressure. The breakfast is typical in the mornings with the added touch of blueberry waffles and pancakes and not just plain. They also have an evening snack.

The most impressive part of this hotel is the staff. If you need something, they are not hamstrung by a clock. We left before the breakfast started and they offered to make it. We were offered shuttle service outside of the posted schedule. Every need we had they found a way to help meet. You will not find customer service superior to this hotel anywhere. As I said, I'm a hotel snob, but if I am back in Iowa City, I will intentionally stay here again. Thank you for EVERYTHING you did to make things easier for my family and I!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Debbie B, Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Bradley P.,
Thank you so very much for the wonderful review. Since we are the closest hotel in our area to the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics, we are very aware of the special needs of our guests and their families. We have a thoughtful and caring staff that is keenly aware of what may be a very trying time for our guests. We are so happy that you noticed our extra touches!!
Hopefully, your travels will bring you our way again, only under better circumstances next time. We are planning more updates in addtion to the ones that we have made already, we are expecting all new furniture in April!!
Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback!!!

Reviewed 6 January 2013

The hotel is what we expected. The advantage is that it is walking distance to Carver-Hawkeye and right across the street from the baseball/softball complex. We did take the hotel shuttle (free) to the arena and walked back. Would stay again due to location.

Stayed: January 2013
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Thank you for your recent comments. We appreciate all feedback. I am glad that we were able to provide an economical option for you. You are correct in your comments about our location...can't beat it!! I am glad that we were able to offer you the convenience of dropping you by Carver Hawkeye Arena. Please keep us in mind the next time you are in our area !!

Reviewed 4 December 2012

My husband and I stay here several times a year on our trips to the hospital in Iowa City.al They always remember us.
We like the breakfasts and soup/sandwiches in the evening.
It's always clean and the rates are great!
You can't go wrong staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for the hospital rate if you are going to the University hospital.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Thank you very much for your recent review!! We really appreciate the positive comments. We strive to make our hospital guests comfortable. We are glad that you like our extra touches, such as the soup and cookies served nightly. Thank you for noticing our cleanliness, we have a top notch housekeeping department. I will pass your comments along to the housekeeping department. Thank you again and we will see you soon!!