“Most personal staff I have ever met”

Heartland Inn - Coralville
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Coralville
Colorado City, Texas
“Most personal staff I have ever met”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I want to tell you all a story. My mother was transferred from our local hospital in Texas to the University of Iowa hospital to receive cancer treatment, and the process has been one of the hardest things my family and I have ever had to go through, until I got to the heartland inn. I was greeted by a young man by the of Jonathon who promptly checked me, but what made an impression on me was how kind and curious he was. The entire time he was talking to me it felt like I had known him since I was a young boy. He was asking me questions about how her treatment was, and later that afternoon when I came down for soup he remember my name and asked how my room was. Anyway, long story short, I was at the hotel completely exhausted and he personally brought me up extra pillows and cookies that night around 8 that night, (because they where out before), and checked on me to see how I was doing. I've stayed at many, many hotels before, and some are nicer than this one, but never, ever in my entire life have I been treated better by someone at the front desk, than I have from that young man named Jonathon. If only I could have said thank you one more time, or had a way to let him know that if it wasn't for him, my entire week would have never been the same. He brightened my day and the next day, when I was checking out, the young lady at the counter who checked me out showed me the same courtesy.

Now for the room:
The bed was comfortable
I had fresh coffee in the morning which was nice
The bathroom was extremely clean

If you are looking for a place to say in Iowa City I recommend the heartland inn to anyone and everyone. It is now my preferred hotel of choice, and will never stay anywhere else when I have the choice!

The staff is unbelievable. The only complaint I have is that the other lady at the front desk who was checking in another guest while I was getting checked in smelled like smoke, and later that night seemed rude when I asked her about the shuttle. Other than that, every single person on there staff is amazing, and I'm sure she is too! Thanks so much heartland inn, you'll forever be remembered.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Corbin C
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Corbin C.,

Thank you so very much for the wonderful testamonial!! Jonathan is just learning the ropes here!! It is just great to hear that he is making such an outstanding impression on our guests!! At Heartland Inn, we strive to make our guests feel at home , especially when they are here under stressful circumstances. I am hoping that things are going better for your Mother. I am also glad that Jonathan was able to be of assistance during what is such a difficult time. The best compliment we could ever ask for is to get a recommendation like yours!! Thank you so very much for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sure that you are beyond busy at this time and have many other things to do,so we appreciate you taking the time to write us. Take care now!! Sincerely, Debbie Bullion , General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The Bad News: the hotel is somewhat dated.

The Good News: Great complimentary breakfast; free dinner; free shuttle to University Hospital; friendly staff; free Wi-Fi plenty of places to eat (Old Chicago, Peking Buffet, Hardee's, Sparti's Gyros, Petra Falafel House, et al.).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RobertPC118
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Robert,
Thank you for your recent review. We are working our way through renovations and hopefully when you return, we will look a bit more updated. I really like the "Good News" part of your review!!! I am so glad that you enjoyed all of our extras!!! We really appreciate the compliments...especially coming from a seasoned traveler like yourself!!! The Heartland Inn staff hopes to see you again soon!!!! Sincerely,
Debbie Bullion, General Manager
Torrington, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I was blessed on December 31st to be treated with respect and kindness by Justin, the gentleman handling the night shift. I came to the hotel at 2am after the death of my sister, no luggage, no toiletries, emotionally and physically exhausted. Justin was very kind by offering me any toiletries in the "secret" basket - and provided information on the closet drugstore if I needed anything else. All I can say, was at that time, having someone show me kindness and express their sympathy was outstanding. Thank you, Justin, and staff for who you are and how you treat your guests. ~~~ Lana Crouse

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Lana,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that we could (in a small way) positively impact a very sad time for you. I have passed your comments along to Justin. It always makes everyone on staff feel rewarded when a guest notices our special touches. Also, let me express from everyone on staff, our deepest sympathies for the loss of your sister. We look forward to seeing you again, hopefully under better circumstances. Sincerely,
Debbie Bullion, General Manager
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

This is our favorite place to stay when visiting for a football or basketball game. If you can brave the cold you can walk to the arena. The deluxe king room is great for additional room. Staff friendly, room clean - didn't eat breakfast - too crowded.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Bearsfan78,

Thank you so very much for another review of our hotel. It was probably a very brisk walk to the Arena!! We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Heartland Inn again while staying in our area. Hopefully, the next time you come to a game, it will be warmer!! AND, hopefully, the breakfast room won't be so busy and you can enjoy a fresh, hot made to order pancake or waffle. Thank you again for your stay and we will see you soon!!
Debbie B.
Tryon, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I chose this hotel because of the location, close to Iowa City Medical Center Hospital. My brother was having surgery, and I needed to be close by, being I was his care giver. I was so impressed with the courtesy shuttle service. They were caring, patient, prompt, and always ready to help and accommodate. With snow and wind, they never missed a pick up. The hot breakfast was the best, with an array of foods offered, especially the fresh Belgium waffles. Evening lite dinner with fresh cookies was a welcomed treat. My room was cozy, warm and the pillows and bed comfortable. I also enjoyed the fire in the fire place. I definitely recommend this friendly hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Carol1545,

Thank you for choosing Heartland Inn during you recent stay in our area. We always enjoy receiving compliments from our guests....thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! I am so very glad that you were able to take advantage of our shuttle service , especially since the weather was so wintery while you were here!! Those Belgium waffles and fresh baked cookies are a real temptation!! Again, I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with Heartland Inn. Also, thank you for recommending our hotel to others in your review, we do appreciate it!!
Debbie B.
IL cornfields
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Needing a place to call home while visiting a patient at the VA or Iowa City Hospital? This was a perfect solution for us. The breakfast is pretty good! We did not eat at the other meal times but did enjoy the warm cookies in the evenings. A shuttle runs every half hour until 8 p.m. during weekdays and 5 p.m. weekends. The drivers were so compassionate. Hotel staff was also courteous and flexible. We needed to stay an extra night and book a handicapped accessible room due to a snow event that prevented us from going home and they were efficient and helpful. If you want "luxurious," this isn't it. Our room was a bit too toasty and we battled the heater a bit, but no big deal. But if you need clean, friendly, safe and accessible because you want to concentrate on the wellness of a family member, this is a wise choice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Junebug 327,

Thank you so much for all of the kind compliments. We really do try to provide a nice environment at a reasonable price, especially for our hospital patients. I will pass the positive compliments along to our shuttle drivers as well. You are so correct in your assessment of our shuttle drivers, they are just so thoughtful and caring. AND, they have a pretty demanding schedule with the every 1/2 hour runs. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy some warm cookies....they are so tasty!! Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Stay warm this winter!! Debbie Bullion
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

We spent one night here after an Iowa basketball game. Location can't be beat. We were able to walk to Carver Hawkeye Arena. There are many restaurants within walking distance.

The hotel itself is no more than a 2 star. Room was clean but can tell it has had some raucous party-goers. There have been some updates to the room including the desk and night stands. Decor otherwise is dated. There was no room safe.

The halls were quite dirty with empty water bottles and actually saw some vomit.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Bocci Crazed Iowan,

Thank you for reviewing the Heartland Inn. I agree, the location is great for Haweye fans!! We do enjoy accommodating large amounts of Hawkeye fans for all of the various sports!!! AND, the good news is that if you are on a budget, we are a great value!

Also, I am glad that you noticed our recent updates. I do want to apologize for the condition of the hallway. I think that you were probably a guest here on New Year's Eve. Unfortunately, New Year's Eve does not bring out the best in some people's judgment on many levels....as you witnessed in the hallway.

So. Bocci Crazed Iowa, thank you again for you recent stay. I hope that you will consider staying with us again. We promise a clean room and a clean hallway!!

Happy New Year!!
Debbie Bullion
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coralville
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 6 in Iowa City
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Holiday Inn Express Coralville

Been to Heartland Inn - Coralville? Share your experiences!