“Stay at Heartland Inn” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Coralville
Rock Island, IL
“Stay at Heartland Inn”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I booked a room to stay overnight on business. I figured it's one night so why spend a ton of money on a room.. Big mistake! The Hotel claims 100% smoke free environment and the room reeked of smoke (This is posted clearly on the front door of the hotel). We even heard another person complaining about the smoke smell in their room at breakfast the next morning. Air conditioner was on when we entered the room and made the worst rattling noise ever. The bathroom door jam was broken and one had to pick the door up and push in to get it to close right. They used screws to fix the door jam that was broken, but that wasn't doing any good. The beds were comfortable but the Pillows are the flatest ever and they only give you two to a bed. Take your own shampoo unless you like your hair smelling like lemon pledge!! The continental breakfast was okay and was about the best part of the whole hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
ktrose77,

I do apologize for the problems regarding your recent stay. As you stated, we are 100% smoke free. Unfortunately and very evidently, some guests do not know how to follow the rules. Also, we certainly would have been most happy to move you to another room. We always encourage our guests to let us know if they have any problems during their stay. That way, we can correct the problem on the spot. We certainly would never expect you to stay in a room that did not meet your standards or was the least bit uncomfprtable. I do want to thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to let us know about yout your stay. Sincerely, Debbie Bullion, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Marshalltown, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I had spent 5 weeks at this motel, recently for medical purposes. Overall it was a good place to stay. The staff was exceptionally friendly and any problems were resolved right away. I had many late night conversations with one person in particular, Justin, as my sleep schedule was not a schedule at all. The shuttle driver, Rick, was very professional and courteous and was also very easy to talk to. My stay at this particular motel was by far one of the best of all motels I have stayed in over the years and in many different locations all across the US. I did not however rate anything above "very good" as I personally do not rate any business as "excellent". I hope that this does not give anyone the wrong impression as to what I am trying to convey about this particular motel. If I need to stay in the Coralville/Iowa City area again at any time in the future, I hope that I am able to stay at this location. I believe that it is well worth it and would enjoy being around the professional/friendly staff. Good job, keep up the good work and thank you for having been there, I truly appreciate it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dale,

Thank you so very much for your great review. It is very heart warming to hear that you had such a good experience with us!! I know that you have traveled extensively, so your positive ratings on our customer service and staff mean even more to us. I agree , Justin and Rick are professional and very friendly. We too enjoyed having you stay with us!! A guest like you makes our job very rewarding and enjoyable.
Again, thank you for the feedback. We strive to make our hospital patients as comfortable as possible. I am so glad that we were able to provde you with a pleasant stay.
We hope to see you again very soon...and hopefully under better circumstances.
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I'm writing this for a stay by my parents, who are NOT people that normally complain about anything. When they told me about their latest experience (negative), I felt that I had to write this.

They have been staying at this hotel for several years while my dad has been doctoring at University of Iowa Hospital. They have enjoyed the convenience of the hotel location, as well as the shuttle service back and forth to the hospital, and have always been completely satisfied and happy with their stays. They have always been charged the 'hospital rate' offered to hospital patients, no matter what room they were given; a room with two queen beds, or a room with one king bed; I believe that rate was $77 a night, but I'm not 100% certain.

After their last stay, they noticed that they were charged almost $100 for their room. After my dads appointment, they went back to the hotel to ask about the charge, and they were told "the king rooms have always been more than the rooms with two queen beds, and the amount you get charged depends on who checks you in". That is not appropriate, and the charge should be the same no matter who checks someone in. They have made reservations again for an upcoming surgery for dad, because they didn't have time to search around for another hotel, but they are going to confirm the rate when they arrive, and will be looking around for different accommodations for future stays.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Michelle,

Let me apologize for the confusion on room rates. I believe there may have been a diiference in the types of rooms involved, since we have a variety of king rooms and all have of these king rooms have varying room rates depending on the type of king room. We do offer hospital rate on all of our room types. Unfortunately, from your e-mail, I cannot ascertain your parent's names to furher research this discrepancy. We value our hospital guests and take great care to be sure that they are satisfied with their stay. I would like to research this further, if given a name. We never want to lose a guest over anything that is this easy and simple to resolve. I welcome the opportunity to further discuss this issue with you or your parents. Feel free to call me at 1-319-351-8132......our direct line at the hotel and ask for me.
Thank you once again for calling my attention to this matter. I appreciate it.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My daughter booked a block of rooms 9 months in advance foe her wedding party and guests. All of our keys stopped working witches caused multiple trips to the front desk. The most disturbing trip was when my daughter while in her wedding dress had to sit on the floor of the hallway while her new husband had to go to the front desk not once but twice. Her grand parents room smelled like mold and the high definition tv in my room was so fuzzy I could watch it. Not what I expected for 100 plus dollars a night. Especially when we had 10 rooms on that floor.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Angela,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the rooms keys. Unfortunately, we had no idea that you were having so many problems with the keys, most of this is attributable to the amount of keys that were requested for several of the rooms at various times throughout your guests stays. Sometimes external factors, as well, can deprogram keys, such as placing them by cell phones or credit cards, which can easily happen during a busy stay. Unfortunately, technology is not always perfect....we all wiah that it was.
I am so disappointed that your stay did not please you. We really did try to go above and beyond, upgrading you to the larger hospitality room for the rehearsal dinner, making the smaller hospitality room available for gift opening at an earlier time than originally scheduled, honoring all early check in requests for your guests and offering our complimentary shuttle service until every last guest was ready to return to the hotel.
We so enjoyed having your friends and fmaily stay with us, such a nice group of people.

Thank you once again for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. I do apoligize for the inconviences that you experienced during your stay with us.

Hopefully, you have some great memories of the wedding. The Celebration Farm is such a beautiful place for a wedding.

Debbie Bullion

Travellers are raving about these Coralville hotels

Johnston, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Negatives: parking lot congested with local businesses, breakfast area located right inside entry
Positives: rooms were clean, updated items
So-So: hallways clean but stairs were a mess with mud chunks

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Beth,

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. Usually parking is not quite so busy, but you are correct in your observations about the nearby restaurants...which can be great if you are hungry!! I do apologize for the location of the breakfast area, It is a multi-functional area for the hotel with guests just plain hanging our there each evening....so it does come in handy being close to the lobby. Our proximity to the huge construction project at the University is the reason for the mud that we are experiencing. We have several construction companies staying here while building the new University of Iowa Children's Hospital....and with the snow melt comes the mud! Thank you for staying with us...we do appreciate it and hope that you will stay with us again when your travels bring you to our area!!
North Liberty, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

There is a reason this is one of the least expensive places to stay. The hotel is worn but renovated, the rooms are clean but even though renovated still show some age as does the jammed parking lot. Staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is not much but fine for the price of the room. It seems to be the hotel of choice for construction workers. The word that comes to mind to describe this hotel is marginal. The doors are thin and the halls can be noisy. It does the trick and the savings is nice beyond that there is not much more to say.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Brassmat,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. We are a work in progress and are still doing some renovating. Heartland Inn is the closest hotel to the Univerisity of Iowa Hospital and Clinics and they are building a brand new children's hospital, hence the presence of construction workers. It is quite the huge project and has brought many specialized workers to our area. I am glad that we were able "to do the trick" and save you money at the same time!! Thank you once again for letting us know about your stay and I sincerely hope you will stay with us again sometime!!