“A Motel 6 surprise near Iowa City! Great experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 Iowa City

Motel 6 Iowa City
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Coralville
Motel 6 Iowa City
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Coralville
Dayton, Ohio
“A Motel 6 surprise near Iowa City! Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

While driving from Boston to San Francisco, I stopped in this little town just north of Iowa City for the night, and was pleasantly surprised by how genuinely nice and helpful the people I met here were. The staff at Motel 6 sort of embodied that good-natured attitude; they couldn't have been more attentive or helpful. When I asked the front desk where I could go to eat, instead of just giving me a quick, canned answer, the man behind the counter asked, "Well, what do you feel like having?" I was pointed in the right direction for a cheap, filling dinner that suited my vegetarian needs...and was even told where I could grab a good breakfast the following morning.

The rooms were absolutely spotless, and a great value at $30 a night for two people. If you're in the Iowa City area (right off I-80) and in need of an inexpensive, clean, quiet motel, look no further than this place. I have nothing but positive things to say about my short but sweet stay here

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Alex S

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

We booked this hotel on its own website.. we got there and they didn't have any more rooms for what we bookec (we booked 4 weeks in advanced) so they down graded us from a queen to two doubles (2 adults) online is was 90 dollars total for 2 nights.. they charged us 180 dollars.. we went to dispute it and they said they can't honor that price because it was a football weekend... and no where n the reservation does it say football weekend rates change.. and even if they do it needs to be included in the rate like every other hotels website... after two nights of having to stay there, we talked to the manager.. all they could give us was 17 dollars back... and they said they were the cheapest hotel.. while doing my initial search I found 3 hotels for same price(180) that they ended up charging us.. GO TO A DIFFERENT HOTEL! Absolutely bad business!

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank gohawks22

Travellers are raving about these Coralville hotels

la belle, mo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

I had actually booked a hotel through priceline but clicked on a Thursday for the next week. This was a last minute find (it was almost 11 pm and I just wanted a room after a long day of driving). The room smelled like mold. It was clean but I couldn't get over the smell. It did have a fridge which was one of the positives. There were 2 very thin, worn towels in the room. I'm sure I could have asked for more but I was afraid that they would have looked the same way. The bed had a u-shape to it. It was comfortable in the middle but the sides were higher and hard. I would not recommend this hotel. I also did not see the pool. We left as soon as we woke up and went to Hardees for breakfast (less than a block away). On the up note, the check-in worker was very nice

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank hilesLaBelle_Mo
Iowa City, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Unfortunately, we had to take a room here when we visited during an extremely busy weekend in the Iowa City/Coralville area. This hotel was absolutely TERRIBLE! We travel often and stay in many different hotels and I think that this is one of the worst! Our room was tiny, smelled really bad, was very dirty and was not very secure. I was terrified the whole night and couldn't sleep on the hard, old, lumpy beds. All night long, there was shady characters in and out of their hotel rooms and hanging out in the parking lot just below our room, yelling all through the night. As if that wasn't bad enough, this hotel allows pets and there was a large dog in the room next to us, barking ALL night long. I called the front desk three times with no help at all. The pool was dirty, unusable and was full of leaves, sticks and rocks. BOOK EARLY AT A GOOD HOTEL, SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: Do not waste your money, even if it's only like $25.00!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank D M
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

We needed a room for one night during graduation weekend and by the time we determined this, this was one of the few hotels available as most required a minimum two night stay. Also, true to form for Iowa City event weekends, prices were jacked sky high everywhere so one night for this hotel was $99, booked through an online travel site. Coming in to town we had a general idea of it's location but could not spot it. Drove up and down a couple of times trying to locate street number. When we did, realized we had overlooked it because it was torn apart with temporary signage that said Motel 7. We were pretty sure it had changed hands after our booking and would be out of a room for this important event, but checked into the lobby anyway. There was an attendant in an area serving as the check-in, all under construction with paint test spots all over the walls etc. He reported that indeed they were open and even had our reservation. Pleasantly, he offered a better rate, which we accepted. we went up to the room on the second level, and my husband, who had gotten there first, stepped right back out with a questionable look on his face. Mind you, he generally does not care at all what kind of room he is in. The deodorizor smell was overwhelming and the appearance was of a room with bedding from pre-50's. There was a fridge in the room and a very old tv. we tentatively checked the mattress and bedding and saw no signs of bugs etc. checked the air conditioner which worked, so we turned it on and got out of the room for the day. The beds were small full sized lodged against the wall so we slept separately as no room. I could not determine if our room's 'renovations' were considered completed. At any rate - I would suggest giviing this place a little time for the new owners to get it in shape, and then, if you are looking for a basic stay in a town where booking a room during football or other event weekends are a challenge, this might work, but don't have any expectations.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank IowaRdtripper
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

My room had decor that looked like it had not been updated since the late 1980s. But the aesthetics of the room were only a minor issue compared to the low quality of the bedding and the noisy location. The pillows were lumpy, mattress felt like there was a bar sticking through the center of it, and the bottom sheet and mattress pad were so thin they were transparent. The carpeting in the room was that indoor-outdoor junk most Motel 6's tore up and threw out a few years ago. This M6 should do the same.

I was in a non-smoking room but I could smell cigarette smoke coming through the ventilation system every time I turned on the bathroom fan which does not work separately from the bathroom light. I was also in a room near the street - another huge mistake because I did not realize Coralville must be a popular trucker stop because all I could hear in the morning was big rig after big rig pulling out of the streets around the motel.

Never again at this particular Motel 6! The rooms desperately need carpets removed, they need to invest in some new linens and mattresses, and the walls are paper thin.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank PersonintheVicinity
West Chester, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

look for a better price elsewhere despite the location. Hope the gas field in the back isn't burning like an enormous propane flame thrower. IT sounded like the space shuttle was launching all morning. Best part of the room was the shower stall, the rest pretty worn out and shabby. Only hotel we stayed at that had a sign outside warning that they took no responsibilty for car thefts and then another that you should keep the door bolted closed, and this was Coralville! There are a couple of places in walking distance for breakfast. This place would be best for students staying for a football game. There are a number of hotels nearby that may cost s bit more but would be worth it.

Room Tip: avoid center of U where parking get very tight.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family