“A Jewel in the Middle of Iowa”

Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Reviewed 5 June 2009

I never would have thought that I would make my way to Iowa, but lo and behold, my best friend got married...and guess where the bride was from and where the wedding was to be?! Yes, that's right, in Iowa. I guess the old adage is true, "Never say never."

I planned the whole trip about 6 months ahead of time (while I had extra funds). As usual, I booked the hotels through Priceline.com. What I received was an incredible rate and the Marriott in Coralville, IA.

I must be honest with you. The hotel was absolutely fantastic. Service was a breeze and the clerks were very courteous. The room that we stayed in was up to par w/ your typical Marriot rooms and the location was as convenient as could be.

I am very happy that we received the Marriott via Priceline. Kudos to the Coralville Marriott staff!

P.S. ~ I did feel a bit slighted by the $8.00 a day parking garage fee. No need for that in the middle-of-nowhere-Iowa!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Proppracted

Reviewed 6 March 2009

We were there for a conference and this hotel has nearly everything you could need. It was very nice and the staff was very helpful. Had all the services you would want and then some.

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 12 February 2009

We only had a one night stay for a conference, but we were impressed with the hotel the rooms and especially the friendliness of the staff, including the chef who gave a short cooking lesson to the spouses. We'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times in the last year. Its a very nice property.

PROS:

Almost brand new
Great bar/restaurant onsite
Friendly staff
Rooms are nice with flat LCD TVs and dark wood

CONS:

Parking is a bit of a hassle. Its in a public garage next to (not not connected to) the hotel. Its about $8 a day extra.
Workout room is small
Expensive

Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2009

The Coralville Marriott is a beautiful and comfortable hotel. The rooms are clean, beds are very comfy and come complete with wonderful reading lights. Perfect when one person wants to read in bed and the other wants to sleep. At the time we stayed there was free high speed internet in the guest rooms.

The restaurant is good and there is a small coffee shop with pastries and Starbucks coffee in the lobby as well. There is also a wonderful little library with books written by local authors. A great spot to relax.

My staff and I were at the hotel for several days and took advantage of the pool, fitness center and guest laundry. All were clean and well appointed. Although I will caution you the laundry does only have one washer and one dryer. Not a concern for most travelers though. Check in was fast and easy. You will receive (and be charged) for a daily paper unless you decline this at check in.

This was our second year working with the Coralville Marriott to put together a conference. The staff great. Everyone is very helpful, from the dock master to the front desk to the service staff to the event planners. The hotel has several nice ballrooms and a large open exhibit space.

All in all...this is a great hotel !!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 30 October 2008

I've only stayed here twice and will be looking for another hotel next time I am in Coralville. I've been on the second floor and the fourth floor and both rooms had an overwhelming odor of mildew upon walking through the door.

The service has definitely been spotty as well. Sometimes the service is great and other times I wonder if anybody works there. I tried the Starbucks for breakfast one morning and found it unstaffed during normal hours. I probably could have just taken a muffin and no one would have noticed.

The restaurant is very pricey. If you want to save a few bucks, eat at the bar. Nearby restaurants are well out of my per diem range with the exception of Perkins at the end of the road. For anyone with a walking disability, driving to Perkins will be necessary.

Parking was not clearly explained on my first trip there. Essentially, you pay $8 for 24 hours from time you check in. So, if you're checking in early and checking out late the next day, you will have to make up the difference.

Overall, it's a good place to sleep. However, one reviewer mentioned that this staff could learn from the Mariott staff in Cedar Rapids. I would actually recommend you stay at the Mariott in Cedar Rapids instead. It was a surprisingly nice hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 5 October 2008

On one hand, I was definitely impressed with the Coralville Marriott. It’s a very modern and swanky property done up in rich woods, strong primary colors and artwork from local artists. The Iowa Writer’s Library is a nice touch as well. It provides a nice sanctuary from the tumult of the main lobby. The furnishings in the rooms and public areas are definitely top end are comfortable to boot.

The rooms are on the small side. A king bed, easy chair and a desk are all that fit. I would hate to see the rooms with 2 queen beds! However, the bed is well designed and has the most impeccably clean pillows and sheets. Plus, there’s a down mattress pad which makes sleeping all the better. To get full enjoyment, you need to turn down the air conditioning to about 60 degrees so that you can snuggle up with your sweetie. Otherwise, you will lose three pounds due to sweating alone!

The closet area is very generous. It’s a built in IKEA style closet with enough room for two people’s belongings. The coffee bar area is in a built-in niche next to the closet. This is very nice to enjoy while your honey is doing his/her thing in the bathroom. There was a space for a refrigerator; however, ours was not there.

The hotel itself was a lovely concept. The luxurious materials and the very high end design shows that it was intended to be the highest end hotel in perhaps a hundred mile radius. You can be sure that it is much more attractive and luxurious than the Marriotts in downtown Des Moines (a dump) or Cedar Rapids (very plain). However, in this case, good intentions and reality diverge.

After ooohing and ahhhing, it was clear that there is some trouble in Marriott Land.

Dirty tablecloths and items from events days past still litter the hallways. Stains and residue from long ago spilled drinks were on walls, elevator doors and tables around the Marriott’s public areas. In the room, there were dark reddish brown stains on the ceiling and the wall. Was it blood? My bathroom mirror had a greasy film over it.

When I went to use the coffee machine in the room, the carafe appeared clean but still smelled of old coffee leading me to believe it was rinsed instead of washed. A foam cup used to make your own to-go coffee was also “recycled” meaning that it had residue from other beverages in them. Disgusting.

The bathroom was, on first glance, very attractive. It’s a typical hotel bathroom; small but functional. It had a lovely granite counter and a rain-type shower head which made up for the lack of water pressure (which I think is water saving device and not poor pressure). While I was arranging my items on the counter top, I noticed that my round items rolled off the counter onto the floor. When I looked more closely, I saw that the counter was loose and sloped to the floor. All the caulking was broken and it didn’t feel safe. It seemed to still be supported by something, so it was not an immediate safety concern.

The TV was also a surprise. It was a newer 30 inch (?) LCD screen. We were disappointed that there were no HDTV channels offered. In addition, be aware that the clock radio has a night light built in and the fire alarm in the room has a light that flashes every 10 seconds or so. If you like the dark, this may be annoying to you. Also, the furniture could use some repair. Some pieces looked like they came from the scratch and dent sale.

Pool Area and Exercise area: We did not use these, but they seemed very attractive and well laid out. The exercise area has a good selection of weights and cardio equipment. The swim area was littered with used towels when we checked it out.

Beware: The hotel states that there are concierge services. None were evident during my stay. Also, there was no staff to carry bags to the room evident. We were not offered assistance with our luggage. Those who need assistance with their luggage may be out of luck. The only staff I saw were two desk workers. This is advertised as a full service hotel, but in fact, service seems to be minimal - similar to the Fairfield or Comfort Inn.

COFFEE: This morning at 6, there were about 5 people waiting for breakfast and/or coffee by the restaurant. However, the restaurant was closed tight as a drum. Literature in the room stated the “Starbucks” coffee area was open at 6:00; however no manager or staff would address the problem. No apology, explanation or solution was offered by anyone.

Parking? $8.00? In Iowa? Stingy.

'Nuf said.

If I got a good rate, (under $100) I would stay here again for the comfortable room and bed. But I would inspect the room before occupying it. In the hotel’s defense, being in a hurry to get to our concert, and, the next morning, return home, we decided to forgo asking to change rooms and discussing the issues above. However, from my experience in management, I realized that speaking with a manager who would let a beautiful property become so neglected would be not worth the effort.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TomRiedmiller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coralville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 7 in Iowa City
Holiday Inn Express Coralville
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area

Been to Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!