“Super comfy”

Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I've stayed at many a Marriott for my business travel, but this one is tops. The grounds are beautifully kept, the Edgewater restaurant serves an excellent filet, and the pool is big enough to actually move around in. My room was of course very clean and had all the modern conveniences: flat screen TV, free internet, fridge, coffee machine. But the best part was the bed - the feather bed topping on the mattress made me just sink in and drift away to sleep instantly.

The only caveat I can see here if you want to travel there for personal reasons is the parking - they have their own garage right next to it and the hotel is fairly secluded - yet they charge $8 a day to park your car. From what I understand there are other businesses popping up there so that seems to be the explaination.

But still overall a highly recommended stay!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 July 2009

We spent two nights at the Marriott in Coralville. The property itself is beautiful. You enter the property on a very long brick street with fountains. The hotel is built in a newly developed area that has a "city center" feel that includes some shops, restaurants, etc. This is not built out yet, so many places are still vacant. Check-in and staff were very pleasant. The hotel itself is beautiful.

Our room was well done, with the typical (now) Marriott LG LCD flatscreen and an input panel on the desk to connect your own electronics. There is ample desk room for one person to work. Next to the bed is a side chair and ottoman. It is not a recliner.

I don't believe the air conditioner worked properly. There is a digital thermostat on the wall and you set the temperature. We have the room set at 67 and it is no where close to 67 that I've ever felt. My wife would be frigid at 67 and she is not. Also, one of our side bed lamps is barely hanging onto the wall for dear life, creating a gap of about an 1" at the top where you can see the electrical wiring. No excuse for house keeping not seeing this and reporting it to maintenance.

The corridor wall / door construction is horrible. People in the hallway can be easily heard despite them not being loud at all. While laying in bed I could hear people's change and keys rattling. Cheap developers - there is not excuse for that in a mainline Marriott property.

Finally parking. Many review have scolded Marriott for the $8 per night parking fee. People - that is NOT Marriott. The parking garage is owned and operated by the City of Coralville. Marriott COULD simply ignore the parking situation and have you present your credit card at the parking lot. Instead, Marriott is trying to be helpful by giving you a day pass, paying the City of Coralville a reduced 24 hour rate, and having you handle it as part of your hotel bill. While I agree that an $8 parking fee in Coralville, IA is crazy, especially since this hotel isn't on the U of I campus, the blame falls on the City of Coralville, not Marriott.

All in all, this is a very nice place. It appears they have some substandard maintenance and the initial construction (at least of the corridor walls/doors) was cheap. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2009

The Marriott, easily accessible from Interstate, is approached on a brick road. A spacious lobby, marble floors, and a reading room greet guests. The very comfortable sleeping room has granite countertops on nightstand, the coffee station, and bathroom. Bathroom has an opague glass inset in the door, and the shelves in the bathroom were nice for keeping necessary items handy. The headboards have hi-intensity adjustable reading lamps on each side of the bed in addition to the usual nightstand lamp. Cherry furniture and moulding around the ceiling were beautiful. Great place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2009

I never would have thought that I would make my way to Iowa, but lo and behold, my best friend got married...and guess where the bride was from and where the wedding was to be?! Yes, that's right, in Iowa. I guess the old adage is true, "Never say never."

I planned the whole trip about 6 months ahead of time (while I had extra funds). As usual, I booked the hotels through Priceline.com. What I received was an incredible rate and the Marriott in Coralville, IA.

I must be honest with you. The hotel was absolutely fantastic. Service was a breeze and the clerks were very courteous. The room that we stayed in was up to par w/ your typical Marriot rooms and the location was as convenient as could be.

I am very happy that we received the Marriott via Priceline. Kudos to the Coralville Marriott staff!

P.S. ~ I did feel a bit slighted by the $8.00 a day parking garage fee. No need for that in the middle-of-nowhere-Iowa!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Proppracted
Reviewed 6 March 2009

We were there for a conference and this hotel has nearly everything you could need. It was very nice and the staff was very helpful. Had all the services you would want and then some.

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 12 February 2009

We only had a one night stay for a conference, but we were impressed with the hotel the rooms and especially the friendliness of the staff, including the chef who gave a short cooking lesson to the spouses. We'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times in the last year. Its a very nice property.

PROS:

Almost brand new
Great bar/restaurant onsite
Friendly staff
Rooms are nice with flat LCD TVs and dark wood

CONS:

Parking is a bit of a hassle. Its in a public garage next to (not not connected to) the hotel. Its about $8 a day extra.
Workout room is small
Expensive

Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coralville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Holiday Inn Express Coralville
Comfort Suites Coralville
Comfort Suites Coralville
#6 of 21 in Coralville
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville

Been to Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!