“Poor Service”

Best Western Cantebury Inn & Suites
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Reviewed 26 December 2013

They failed to clean the premium price room that I stayed by not cleaning it. Do not expect good customer service because they do not understand customer service. Would not recommend it again and have stayed many of times before and now poor service.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 December 2013

After a lengthy flight and drive to get to this point, it was refreshing to see a BW that didn't fit the standard building with the other BW's I've stayed at. Outside, the 'motif' seemed to be a little different, and when I got into the room, I was set back a bit with a floor plan that I was not expecting. Living room on a lower level and a bed on the upper surrounded by a 'library' of books. I was extremely comfortable in this room, and also dissapointed that my stay here would be so short. Being so late, I quickly settled in and talked with the staff which they were very helpful and friendly. Got dinner close by then returned to quickly complete my daily computing requirements. Internet speeds were good w/ample outlets to charge phones, computers, etc... Room was warm/comfortable and a clean bath. Unfortunatley had to leave well before breakfast. I look forward to returning here in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 23Dorsett
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Very nice hotel. Always stay there when going to Iowa City to the Dr. Will not stay at any other hotel in Iowa City Very nice pool. Good breakfast. Very convient, right off of I 80 easy to find. Nicely furnished rooms. Serveral different themed rooms. Last room was two beds, a pull out couch, one wall was all book shelf filled with books. I will ask for this room from now on.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We were traveling from Colorado to Michigan, we had driven from 6AM to 7:00 pm.We were tired ,hungry and ready to stop for the night .We had the phone number of a Best western that I called to see if they had room available, sadly we misses that exit, I called back gave the clerk our location on I-80 and asked to please give me the direction for the nearest Best Westter off I-80 near Iowa city. The clerk gave me promptly the adress, and phone number of theit closest location.I called them and they secured a room for us.Friendly front desk clerk.Told Us about the choises of restaurants near by ,and processed our reservation very fast.The room was comfortable , beds were nice and soft , extra pillows, great matress and the period decor in the room was charming.The breakfast the next day was plentiful and adequate to fuel Us for the last part of our trip.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

On August 19, the management of this hotel responded to a comment to the hot tub being out of order by saying they were working on the necessary repairs. Now, less than four months later, the hot tub is gone. Completely gone, though still mentioned on the major travel sites. When this was brought to the hotel's attention (as the advertised hot tub was a reason for selecting the hotel), the response was "that's the responsibility of the sites, not ours." Excuse me? Ultimately, isn't the hotel responsible for what's advertised and alerting the major sites of changes and not the other way around?

Of course, we were also told the room we booked (queen bed with a sofa bed) was what we were given--a room with one queen bed, as the queed bed is the sofa bed. What? That doesn't even begin to make sense.

The room we had was spacious and clean. There's the only plus we've got.

Room Tip: Ask questions before booking, because you'll be sorry if you don't. Don't rely on their...
Reviewed 26 November 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE! Our non-smoking $215/night hotel "suite" smelled like an ashtray. The toilet broke and backed up as soon as we used it upon arrival. We asked them to fix it while we were at dinner Friday evening. They did not. When we called after we got home the night manager was extremely RUDE and saw the backed up toilet and said "Oh h#ll no, I ain't doing that." So he dropped the plunger and said "do it yourself". Are you kidding me? We had no choice so tried plunging the toilet but the it was obviously broken. The next morning when we went to the front desk to complain to the front desk the (large, burly) night manager was still there and came out from the back room and called us liars and then threatened to take off his name tag and "kick my [--]". Yes, he threatened to assault me. Then while we were at the game they "fixed it" but it backed up immediately after we returned from the game on Saturday. So we had a backed up toilet all 3 days. We did not want to shower with this going on so had to go to a friends hotel to shower. We had to prepay as it was a game weekend. We have complained and called to talk to the general manager about a refund 5 (FIVE) times and he ("Curtis") has ignored us and not called back. Rude and offensive staff (one front desk employee was wearing a filthy XXL tee-shirt at the front desk - classy), and filthy hotel. The owners should be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The hotel is very old, no elevator. The clerk was very unprofesional when checking in. The clerk should assess whether the people checking in can climb the stairs with their luggage before putting them on the second floor. The room was nice and the decor was great.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple