“Great service, okay room”

Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed here during our trip to the Amana Colonies. Beds and pillows were comfy and breakfast was great!!! Lots of variety at breakfast and clean and friendly breakfast area. Cleaning crew needs improvement. Not sure if bathroom had been cleaned thoroughly...stains in toilet and hair in tub. I expected more after choosing this hotel based on the good reviews. Very friendly hotel staff though and quiet stay. There is also a restaurant at this hotel. We visited for appetizers late at night. It was tasty. Less than a mile from the Coralville Mall off of i80. Be sure to visit Whitey's ice cream in the mall. They also have an indoor ice rink at the mall...very cool!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear kcgirl34,

I'm glad you got to enjoy the River City Beefstro next door. I love their appetizers, especially the boneless wings. Our hotel is connected next door and even offers room service! It's also good to know you had such positive experiences with our staff. Hopefully the next time you're in town, you'll stop by and have some boneless wings delivered to you!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Summary: Inexpensive and good value for what you pay. I have stayed at the Hampton Inn near Coralville, IOWA probably 15 times now over the last 6 years for business travel. I rate this hotel as average simply in comparison to other, sometimes world class hotels that I have stayed at around the world including the Hiltons of the Hilton Brand. Pros: - Rooms and beds are clean and comfortable. - Front desk staff friendly. - The room rates are very reasonable. - Has pool and small workout room. - Has conference rooms for rent that do nicely for meetings and events. - Breakfast provided in dining room in the mornings (locked the rest of the day). Cons: - Lacks the small extra touches that are found at more expensive brand hotels (or even at the Holiday Inn next door) such as a bath robe, glasses (just paper cups), microwave... - Bar fridges are not standard in rooms, must be requested and sometimes they run out of them. - No working cold water fountain. You can either drink tap water, purchase a water bottle (or other beverages) from the dispensing machine or presumably wait until the ice from the free ice machine melts. - TV Screen seemed a little on the small side compared to other hotels. Tip - The Holiday Inn just next door (they share a building complex and are run by the same management team) had more mod cons and I think it charges the same price. Just not part of the Hiltons Honors for those of us on that loyalty program.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Benjamin H,

I'm glad you've been satisfied with your many stays at our Hampton Inn. The condition of our rooms is one of our highest priorities, which is why we wash the duvet covers every day. Thank you for letting me know how much you appreciate our efforts to go the extra mile for our guests. Hopefully, we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This is not your usual Hampton inn. This property is old and not kept up too well. We had to change room 3 times due to air conditioner not working and loud; musty moldy smell and third room the room is good but has a huge crack in the window. It's too exhausting and like I said not your typical nice Hampton.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear ylm_12,

I'm sorry to hear that your stay didn't meet your expectations for our Hampton brand. I appreciate reviews like these to help ensure that guest room problems are fixed promptly so that we can continue our goal towards 100% guest satisfaction. We fixed the issues you encountered since you were here and hope you'll take the time to visit us again.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I made a reservation to stop here as it is halfway between my home and the city where I was traveling for business. This hotel is built on a hill so the parking lot is a further distance from the entrance than at most other hotels. While the common areas seemed updated, the lobby and eating area are small, I had a "king suite" which consisted on a king bed and a sofa bed. The only closet in the room was a faux wood-type cabinet next to the desk and I'm not sure why it is called a "suite" as it is only 1 room and did not have a refrigerator and/or microwave in the room. In addition, the room was very plain and the bathroom was quite small. I marked the value for this hotel as "poor" because the room was so plain and did not offer more than a couch, a bed and a small bathroom. The room cost around $150 (including tax) which is crazy as I had a much nicer room at a better Hampton Inn located in the downtown area of a major city and it was only $130 (including tax). The one bright spot for the Coralville Hampton Inn was the Breakfast. There was fresh fruit, cereals, lots of hot breakfast foods, yogurt, juice and more. It was one of the better breakfasts that I've had at a Hampton Inn. If I find myself in the area in the future, I will be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear NebraskaTravelnut,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you got to enjoy our breakfast. We like to keep a variety of options on our breakfast line so that everyone can find something to enjoy. I hope the next time you're in the area, you'll stop back to see us again.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here on our way to Canada for vacation. The hotel was very nice. The staff was friendly. We had a good nights sleep. Beds were comfy. It served breakfast in the morning. That was nice and normal for a Hampton Inn which we appreciate very much. It was kinda laid out differently then other hotels which kinda caused a traffic jam while trying to get your breakfast items. Over all it was a very good stay and I would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear ssheilmn,

As you mentioned, we are very fortunate to have an attached restaurant, The River City Beefstro, as an on-site option for our guests and I am glad that you were able to enjoy this amenity! It is encouraging to hear positive feedback as it fuels our desire to provide quality service to our guests! Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My son and I stayed here while we visited the Univ. of Iowa. Easy on and off 80. Close to the Univ. and mall. Very clean. Restaurant next door. Nice. Breakfast offered warm entrees and convenient when in a hurry.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Christy C,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to the University of Iowa. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast bar! I encourage you to utilize our breakfast-to-go bags in the future as you can take them with you when you do not have time for a sit down meal. Thank you again for sharing your experience and I welcome your return to the property!

With great thanks,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Nice place with a really good front desk staff. They took care of the only issue we had immediately. The breakfast had a nice variety of food including fresh fruit. There is an attached restaurant for drinks and dinner. We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jose L
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear 749tylerh,

Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience during your recent stay with us! I'm proud to say that we hand cut our fresh fruit every day and will be sure to pass along your kind words to our breakfast staff. I welcome your return! :)

Front Office Supervisor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coralville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Holiday Inn Express Coralville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville
Radisson Hotel & Conference Center Coralville - Iowa City

Been to Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville? Share your experiences!