“Nice enough”

Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
“Nice enough”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I like Hampton Inns overall, and this one is no exception. Very friendly and accommodating staff, clean room, nice pool/spa area. This one has a few quirks due to being a bit older than some; my room door needed to have an extra pull to lock from the outside. The cleaning staff didn't close it completely one day (I stayed 5 nights) and I came back to find it was unlocked after being gone all day, and I was able to push it open. On the other hand, nothing was missing - including my computer, which speaks to the safety of the area and hotel overall. I'm beginning to dislike Hampton breakfasts in general; the first day the eggs (I love eggs) smelled distinctly like fish. WHY?? I cannot imagine. I don't each much processed wheat/sugar, so the breakfast choices are limited. Happy to have a fresh fruit choice. Because of exemplary staff and good driving distance for attending ISWF, still it was a 4-star experience. Nice appetizers and drinks next door, too, if you can get there on time during the week.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear 2hungrytravelers,

Glad to hear that your recent stay with us was good! Since we host such a wide variety of travelers, we always have a multitude of breakfast selections. I'm happy to hear that you found breakfast choices to suit your needs. Our staff is happy to accommodate all of our guests, and thankfully, it sounds like your experience with us was no exception. Come back and visit us anytime!

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Sherman, IL
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This was a one night stay on our trip. Von Maur was across the street, which was my lure. It is located on a small hill and was joined by a restaurant/bar and another hotel. Parking, by the time we arrived, was downhill a bit and would be hard to negotiate for someone who had difficulty walking. Winter time with snow might be vidieo-worthy. The outside was well-lit and it was located in a nice area. When we walked in, the smell of chlorine just slammed us in the face- but that's better than stench. lol. The front desk personnel were some of the most friendly that I have come across in a long time. It was comforting knowing that there was someone who actually cared about your stay. There is a food/snack area. Local kettle and caramel corn was some of the best ever! The room itself was nice, clean and very comfortable. I slept like a baby. The phones in our room didn't work but we wanted to sleep. I guess I expected a little more for the price, although this wasn't bad, but hotels in the Iowa City area are usually expensive. Go Hawks! The halls are a bit warm and humid which brought out some stench in certain areas. It should be better. The breakfast bar was acceptable. There was a waffle maker, sausage patties, cheese omelets, potatoes, oatmeal, fresh melon, muffins, cereal and yogurt. The food was warm and plentiful. Check out was quick and easy. Bottom line is that I slept well. I'd return. I would have given it a much higher rating if not for the chlorine and hallway humidity.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear rrlabs,

Thank you for letting us know about your excellent stay here at the Hampton Inn. We pride ourselves on our friendly staff. Our guests like you deserve the best service in every aspect of your stay, from the front desk agents to the housekeepers. I'm glad you got the chance to enjoy our local activities too! We love Von Maur and plenty of local dining right down the block. Next time you're in town, we'll be happy to host a fun weekend again!

Thanks!

Chantilly, VA
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The good thing about Hampton Inns are they are reliable for providing a clean room, good service, nice breakfast, and overall good value. However, this stay had a few maintenance issues in the room. I reported a minor issue with the toilet, and they fixed it. However, they caused a different problem with it. I reported it in the morning but it wasn't fixed by 5pm, so I asked to move rooms. The next room was what I would expect from a Hampton Inn. Would stay here again with a good rate and hope for a better maintained room.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor to avoid the noise from people walking above.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear 3pltdad,

I'm happy to hear that we resolved the issues that came up during your stay. We like to solve guest problems promptly with our Maintenance staff and fortunately, we got you to a room that met your desires for a Hampton Inn. We can't wait to have you back!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The air conditioner in our room rattled for most of the night when it was running. We had trouble getting it to turn on and room was stuffy. Could not find a glass in the room for a drink of water to take medicine. Had to use my hand to get a drink from the sink. Next morning found them hidden in back of bedside table. Very unhandy. Also, not enough towels for 2 people, let alone 3. They were also shoved clear back on a shelf and not handy to find. The price of the room was ridiculous. We missed breakfast because arrived late from a wedding and it was closed quite early on a Sunday. Disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Brad R,

Thank you for telling us about your recent trip. I'm sorry that the room wasn't as accommodating as you'd hoped. We try to anticipate all of the needs of our guests, and now that we know about the problems you ran into, we'll get the problem fixed by housing the glasses and towels in a more visible location. Hopefully, you'd be willing to give us another chance to exceed your expectations of the Hampton Inn.

Erika Pohlman,
Urbana, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2014

An overnight stay on a road trip. Absolutely no complaints. Good greeting, clean room, very ample breakfast, quiet, close to I-80 but heard no road noise. Not close to the University, but reasonably close to shopping. Attached restaurant was surprisingly good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear David G,

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your recent travel to our hotel! We work hard to reach 100% guest satisfaction, from our rooms to our breakfast. And located comfortably between the Coral Ridge Mall and the University of Iowa, we try to be an ideal location for a variety of travelers like you. The next time you're in town, stop and see us again!

Douglassville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Carpet was sticky and left black marks on my socks. Bathroom tiles were loose or uneven in places. Room was not bad otherwise. Location was good for my purpose. Proximity to restaurants was good as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Dante P,

Thanks for taking the time to let me know about your visit. I'm glad you let me know about the carpets, and we've had them steam cleaned since your stay. I like to recommend local restaurants to guests, and our convenient location near the campus and local dining makes us a great place to stay. Stop by and see us the next time you're in town!

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed here during our trip to the Amana Colonies. Beds and pillows were comfy and breakfast was great!!! Lots of variety at breakfast and clean and friendly breakfast area. Cleaning crew needs improvement. Not sure if bathroom had been cleaned thoroughly...stains in toilet and hair in tub. I expected more after choosing this hotel based on the good reviews. Very friendly hotel staff though and quiet stay. There is also a restaurant at this hotel. We visited for appetizers late at night. It was tasty. Less than a mile from the Coralville Mall off of i80. Be sure to visit Whitey's ice cream in the mall. They also have an indoor ice rink at the mall...very cool!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear kcgirl34,

I'm glad you got to enjoy the River City Beefstro next door. I love their appetizers, especially the boneless wings. Our hotel is connected next door and even offers room service! It's also good to know you had such positive experiences with our staff. Hopefully the next time you're in town, you'll stop by and have some boneless wings delivered to you!

Erika Pohlman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coralville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville
Holiday Inn Express Coralville
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Comfort Suites Coralville
Comfort Suites Coralville
#6 of 21 in Coralville

Been to Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville? Share your experiences!