“Mostly a very good experience”

Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Coralville
London, Canada
“Mostly a very good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Another long road trip where hubby booked the hotel on-line for me a couple of hours before I needed to stop for the night. The king room was spacious, comfortable and clean. From reading other reviews and from my own experience, the management needs to do some customer training of the evening check-in staff. The young woman who booked me in was distracted by her conversation with the other young woman behind the desk. They were talking and laughing about some young men they had given recommendations to about what local bars to go to. I felt like the young woman was just going through the motions to get rid of me as quickly as possible so she could get back to her conversation. Now that said... the young woman who replaced them later was very polite and helpful, as was the person who checked me out the next morning. So to be fair to the hotel, it's not the entire staff, just those one or two.

I also had an excellent meal in the restaurant that is connected to the hotel. I did appreciate not having to go looking for somewhere to eat after a long day of driving. Also much appreciated were some gluten free options on the menu taking the guess work out of ordering.

Room Tip: The hotel is right off the I-80, which is super convenient but do ask for a room away from the traff...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sue F
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Sue F,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience here. We keep our rooms spotlessly clean between guests. We even wash our duvet covers every day to make sure the room meets the quality our guests expect. We're also big fans of our restaurant, the River City Beefstro. They even offer room service. Come visit us again the next time you're in the area, we'd love to have you back!

Front Desk Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Pekin, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

The hotel may not look the best from the outside, but the inside is very nice (aside from the rundown bar which could use some updating) I stayed here on a business trip and the quality of the lobby and rooms exceeded my expectations. The complimentary breakfast was very good and had many options. I would stay here again. Great value for the money. Almost forgot the FREE internet as well

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Blake S
Dear Blake S,

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! We provide wifi internet access free of charge as a part of our effort to exceed every expectation of our guests. We also offer a business center complete with two PC's with internet and a printer. The next time you're in the area, come stay with us again, we'd be happy to serve serve you.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Quoted a King and then immediately told they didn't have any Kings left. I agreed to a double queen for the same price. Took forever for the staff to enter the info in the computer. Had to give her all my info 3 separate times. It would be nice if the person I was talking to could actually enunciate her words, kind of crazy when the persons primary language is English. Tried to get the same rate for the next night and was told in a cocky way that hotel rates change daily. Over-all The room was clean and comfortable but the people above us stomping around all night made it difficult to sleep. The highlight was the Breakfast, one of the best I've had at a hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Troy C
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Troy C,

I'm glad to hear that you got to enjoy our breakfast. We consider it one of the highlights of our hotel too. As we train new staff, unfortunately, some things like this happen. I'm sorry your experience wasn't entirely up to your standards, but with time we're sure our desk staff will be incredible. I hope you're willing to stay with us again the next time you're in the area.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband and I have been staying here for years, when we visit family. We've had our last visit. I agree with Megan M, that it's worn and unkept. No refrigerators. No microwaves. Desk service not great. Blah

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tulsacats
Dear Tulsacats,

Thanks for letting us know how your recent stay with us went. We provide microwaves and fridges to guests upon request as we have them. The next time you're in the area, try us again and we'll do our best to meet your expectations for a Hampton Inn.

Ferndale, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

During a road trip we stayed at this Hampton Inn and were greeted by friendly staff upon check in. After driving all day, that's one thing I love is when the front desk is kind and friendly. The hotel is located right off the freeway so it has a great location for travelers. In the morning there was a nice continental breakfast. Nothing too fancy, but more than enough options including a nice tea selection which I enjoyed. Only weird thing was there was no garbage can in our bathroom. Had to take the one from our room and put it in the bathroom. Other than that, no problems and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Charlie_Conway,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our location is centered between the Coralville Mall and the University of Iowa, just north of Interstate 80 . That way, our guests have quick and easy access to all of our local attractions. We look forward to seeing you the next time you're staying in Iowa City or Coralville.

Iowa City, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Rooms are great, Staff is great, Free shuttle service is great, breakfast is great. We always like staying here. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable place to stay in the coralville area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Daniel Joseph R,

I'm so happy your experience here was so positive! Guests like you usually enjoy our breakfast since we provide both hot and cold items at no extra cost. Glad to hear you'll be returning the next time you're in Coralville, and we look forward to seeing you then.

Pewaukee, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this Hampton Inn. I will be moving down the road to the new Homewood Suites. Unfortunately this hotel was looking worn and unkept. There was a mildew smell when the air conditioner turned on and the bathroom was not as clean as I would have liked. I am a loyal Hampton Inn customer, however, I think this inn needs some TLC and renovations.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Megan M,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience. I'm sorry your recent trip didn't meet your expectations. We work hard to meet every need of our guests. We need feedback like yours to continue improving so that our guests can enjoy the full Hilton experience. Hopefully, you're willing to give us a try in the future.

Front Desk Supervisor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coralville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Holiday Inn Express Coralville
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville

Been to Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville? Share your experiences!