“Not my choice...”

Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Coralville
Redwood Falls, Minnesota
“Not my choice...”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Selected this hotel due to its proximity to a business meeting I had the following morning. I didn't have high expectations prior to checking in and my expectations were not changed when I left the following morning. When I entered my room there was an overwhelming musty (almost smokey) smell throughout the whole room. I dropped my AC temp down to 62 degrees to try to get rid of it. I ended up going to a gas station next door to get some spray deodorizer. After dropping the AC temp and spraying everything was OK. The desk and furniture was fine and the bed was comfy as well. The bathroom was roomy enough for what I needed. Only complaint about the bathroom was that whoever caulked around the bathtub/shower fixtures wasn't a professional. It made the bathtub/shower look really tacky. Water pressure was low as well. I don't want to make it sound like I'm very picky but these are small things that I noticed that aren't really prevalent at other similar hotels in this budget...

Front desk help was great and the location was close enough to nearby bars and restaurants...

WiFi signal was excellent and I didn't have any issues with connectivity...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SWMN_33
CI-97, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Coralville, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to see that your stay was less than satisfactory and we apologize for all the inconveniences that you had to face during your stay.

We try our best to make our guest's stay comfortable and enjoyable. Please give us another try to serve you better.

We hope to see you again.

Comfort Inn & Suites.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
illinois
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We only stayed here one night, but it certainly met my expectations for a comfortable night's sleep in a clean environment. There are still a few remnants of renovations going on, but the majority of that was in the parking lot. We stayed in a King Suite and it was large, very clean, and the bed & pillows were very comfortable. We ate breakfast in the breakfast room and it had the usual variety of hot and cold choices - nothing outstanding - but, it certainly met our needs. Breakfast service only went until 9:00 A.M., which is about an hour earlier than many other similar hotels. I was very happy with the staff - we accidently left a bag containing dirty laundry in our room and the housekeeping staff promptly turned it into the front desk. We realized our mistake about three hours after checkout and called the front desk. What a pleasant surprise when the desk offered to mail it to us! (We were still in town, so it was not necessary - we were able to pick it up). But, kudos to the staff for being honest and willing to help us with our mistake!

Room Tip: King Suites are extra roomy with a sitting area.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cpjlaj
Dear Guest,

We appreciate sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear that your stay was no less than your expectations and you enjoyed your stay as well.

Thank you for the appreciation for our staff. We hope to see you again!

Van Wert, Ohio
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I've gotten to where I don't expect much other than a clean room when I stay at QI or similar cookie cutter hotels... which is where I generally stay anyway. Two issues arose with this particular property, however.

First, at check-in was the flippant attitude of the character manning the front desk. He clearly wasn't listening to me when I was attempting to get a room for the evening. And, he really didn't seem concerned after I registered that several folks in line behind me had already checked in but had keys that wouldn't work on their room doors. Fortunately, mine did.

Second, the next morning's breakfast. Folks, we all know these breakfasts are met to be basic nourishment only. My expectations aren't really very high at all. However, it was quickly evident the facility was manning the front desk (lot of checkouts occuring,) with the same person who was supposed to be keeping the eggs and sausages somewhat warm and refreshed. This gal was running around everywhere attempting to do both jobs and not doing either one very well at all.

Yes, we had a relatively clean room, and no, we didn't leave without some sort of nourishment in our bellies. But that was the extent of the experience. There simply wasn't one single thing that I can look back on and say was even marginally above average.

It's always a disappointment to stay somewhere that you feel like the hotel really doesn't care whether you're there or not.

Room Tip: Maybe pick another hotel? There are several nearby.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and letting us know where we stand at.

We apologize for all the inconveniences that you faced during your stay. We try our best to improve the service and hope you give us another try to serve you better.

Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We made reservations , while driving north toward Iowa City , not knowing this hotel was in the middle of total renovations . Despite the rubble outside and torn up carpeting inside , the staff was very helpful in making us welcome and comfortable.
The hotel is located a short distance from the interstate , which makes it quite convenient for a nights stay.
This hotel will probably rate more stars once it is completely finished.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and we thank you for judging the place in advance :)

We are glad to hear that your stay was not less than satisfactory. This place will be definitely a better place once we have finished all the renovations.

We hope to see you again.

Council Bluffs
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We always spend Christmas with our family in Coralville, IA. The hotel is a standard Fairfield Inn. However the staff is exceptional. I left my necklace in the room. I have no ideal how I did it and didn't realize it until I got home and there was a message on the answering machine from the folks at the Fairfiled Inn. They had found my necklace and would I call. They are mailing it back. What a great Christmas gift! I can't recommend this Fairfield Inn enough.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 3 December 2012

While clean, this hotel is definitely showing its age with wear and tear. The rooms are clean, but dinged up here and there. There is also a musty smell in the air, which I assume is from low occupancy - no one's run the AC for awhile. There is a pool (out of order), workout room, and free breakfast in the mornings. If you have a choice and can afford it, stay across the street at the Marriott conference center - one of the nicest Marriotts in the system. If you're just in town for a night or the price can't be beat, this hotel will do in a pinch.

In front of the hotel is a "Kum and Go" gas station. Across the street is a great BBQ place, and down the road are several more restaraunts and bars. Nice area to stay, close to Iowa State, but there are better hotel options in the area.

Just an "okay" hotel. Nothing special.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Cortez, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 18 November 2012

From the time I arrived in Coralville, I was greeted by friendly people. There was not any big rig parking at the motel, but the drywall place next door welcomed me to park there.

This motel is very very nice and clean. I have no negatives to post, I would reccomend that you stay here whenever you travel. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business