“Rough around the edges” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Mesquite, Nevada
“Rough around the edges”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

It was Ok, but no wow factor. Place needs a little sprucing up. Was "OK" clean but not sparkling. A bit short of towels, stuff like that. I'd stay in a pinch, but before I stay there again, I'll shop a bit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Independence, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stay at this hotel several times per year to visit our son who is going to college. This hotel offers everything we need and more! Great location to restaurants and shopping. We do not even check with other hotels because we know we are going to get great service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
spring hill ks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Was very easy to find. We got there a little earlier then expected so room was not ready. Did not have to wait long at all. Front desk staff very helpful and kind. Room was neat and clean. Breakfast was great. Pool and hot tub were lots of fun. Once again very clean. When you reserve online you never know but this was a very pleasant stay and will be staying again when back in this area. Thanks Settle Inn for making that part of our vacation nice.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Topeka, Kansas, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

For the price I didn't expect the Ritz but some very simple issues that could be corrected made an average stay a poor stay. First, they advertise free WiFi. It's there but good luck connecting. When you do you have to click through a couple of screens where they try to sell you a faster connection. Just getting connected was tough so paying to possibly not connect is not an option. This day and age delivering free WiFi should be standard, especially when it's advertised as an feature. I was only able to get any use of it really late at night (both nights) and early on one morning.

The bathroom had no exhaust fan. That's just crazy. That of course leads to a steamy room and a steamy room is a place for mold and there was some visible.

The televisions are old tube type and fairly small. We had a double queen room (one bedroom then the bathroom and kitchenette then the other bedroom). One remote didn't work so we shared between the grandson in "his" room and our room.

When we checked in the room was like a meat locker. The A/C was on max cool temperature and the hi-cool setting. I turned down the temp until the compressor cycled off. We came back and it was warm and muggy in the room. I then realized that there was no difference in the hi-cool and lo-cool setting (apparently the hi-cool didn't work). It took forever to get the room back to comfortable.

Breakfast was about what I expected it to be in a budget hotel but they did have sausage links and some scrambled egg with cheese that was precooked and folded like a taco. These had to be heated in the one microwave. So, for a hotel with many rooms and a lot of people eating breakfast they have one microwave in the breakfast room to heat sausage and eggs and whatever else you'd want to microwave. Well, the one microwave sucked. 5 minutes on high would not get the egg and cheese and two sausage links hot. You don't have to use advanced mathematics to take over five minutes a person at the microwave to see a big backup in the breakfast line. There's a Walmart right across the parking lot! Buy a new microwave! Hey, why you're at it buy two!

Like I said, small details that could really improve the experience are overlooked so I wonder about the bigger things. Also, one reason we stayed here was because all the room entrances are inside. From the lobby area to our room we walked past two outside entrances and everytime I did someone had put a rock in one of the doors to prop it open. I removed the rocks and let the doors lock. I know that's not ther fault (I hope the help isn't blocking open the doors) but they should monitor that to help insure guest safety.

We travel to the area several times a year and will spend a bit more and stay elsewhere from now on.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Council Bluffs hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel could have potential if they would modernize the rooms. The carpets were sticky, and stained. The bed was comfortable but they sit up so high that its hard to see the old tube TV. The toilet needs a gallon of bleach to get rid of the stains. The water in the toilet looks kind of yellowish/orange because of the stain.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thief River Falls, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

My friend and I were traveling and decided to stop for the night at the Settle Inn. We walked into our room and discovered it was perfect! A queen bed on one side of the room, in the middle of the room was the bathroom and a small kitchenette with a mini fridge and microwave and on the other side of the room was another queen bed. It was like a 2 bedroom hotel room! It was perfect for us! More hotels need to use this layout! The room was a bit dirty...there was some garbage and a washcloth behind the night stand. One other thing I'd like to note...we were in a non-smoking room, but when we walked in, there was a smell of smoke. The front desk assured us that it had never been a smoking room, but that someone must have previously smoked in there? Other than that, I would highly reccomend the Settle Inn. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast looked fantastic!

Room Tip: We were in room 407 and it was the best layout I've seen in a basic hotel room.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jessica2883
Pueblo, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

$95.15 was a little more than I wanted to pay for a hotel by myself, but the other options in the area were even higher, so all in all not bad. The staff at this hotel was very friendly and helpful. I had a decent night sleep and the room looked dark and old, but clean. LOVED the location!!! Almost every one of my favorite stores and restaurants could be found within a mile of this hotel, and the free breakfast that came with the room was the largest selection I have ever scene at a hotel. The had cold cereal, eggs, sausage (that actually tasted good), waffles, toast, french toast, pastries, multiple juice options, and more. I was impressed and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
#1 of 24 in Council Bluffs
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,122 reviews
Fairfield Inn & Suites Council Bluffs
BEST WESTERN Crossroads of the Bluffs
BEST WESTERN Crossroads of the B...
#10 of 24 in Council Bluffs

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Omaha - Council Bluffs? Share your experiences!