“What a joke!!!”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My family stayed here one night on our way back from the black hills in SD since we added the Omaha Zoo to our itinerary. When I arrived to check-in there were 3 couples trying to check in as well. The front desk staff (girl) was on the phone sounding like she was trying to “straighten out” one of a reservations while the other 2-couples were also on the phone doing the same thing. There was another guy who appeared to be a front desk clerk who was doing absolutely nothing. So I waited to see if he was going to ask if I needed help or help any of the other guests trying to check-in and again he did absolutely nothing. So about 5 minutes go by when two previously checked-in guests approach the guy asking him to ring up their items they were purchasing from the gift shop/store. So when I noticed the guy had the ability to actually do something, I asked if he would check me in instead of standing around. He asked if I had reserved my room directly with Hilton or through a 3rd party. I responded that I booked directly with the hotel and as soon as I said that, he was able to assist me. Apparently, Hilton’s “system” was down and they did not have a record of any reservations book through a third party such as priceline, expedia, etc and was unable to check-in those guests. So instead of this guy asking how I booked, he was okay with me standing there not receiving any sort of service. What an idiot!!

Finally I was able to check in, find a parking spot probably a mile away due to the construction and with them sharing a parking lot with 2 other hotels. Once in the room, we noticed that the sink had a VERY SLOW DRAIN and that the bathroom door would stick to where you pretty much had to almost kick the door down for it to open. OMG, we were SOOOO glad that we were only staying one night or we would’ve asked for our money back and stayed somewhere else. We finally decided to call the front desk and report the slow drain for the bathroom sink and the same front desk guy came up with a plunger which probably has been in toilets…how gross!! Thank goodness he was able to pull god knows what from the sink which did help but still slow and did not have to use the plunger. This hotel as well as their staff turned out to be a big joke. Never again will I stay or suggest this place to others.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank McDonald525
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Dear McDonald525,

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback about your time here with me. I sincerely appreciate any opportunity I can get to improve our hotel for all of our guests in the future. I am very sorry for the negative experiences you had during your stay. Service to our guests is very important to us and I assure you I have addressed the incident you have reported accordingly. I am very sorry for the issues you faced with your sink drain and our parking lot as well. I know how difficult things like this can make enjoying your time here with us and I truly regret that we did not show you a better time. We know there are many choices for hotels in the area and the fact that you chose to spend your time here is very important to us. I would very much like to speak to you directly regarding your experience to see if there is anything I can do to make this right and improve your impression of us. We care a great deal about the experiences of each of our guests and I would love the opportunity to show you a much better time here at our hotel. I sincerely hope to speak to you soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have stayed here a few times before and have always experienced very friendly and helpful staff. Out room is always clean. The superconductor air conditioner unit this time around was making all sorts of noise, which did keep us up, but when management was informed at check out they said they would take care of it. My only complaint is the breakfast. I find they offer a lot less than your typical Holiday Inn. It's not bad, but not great either, but it is free!

• Stayed: August 2014
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear dalejr8prncss,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with me. It is great to hear that you are a return guest of ours and we sincerely hope to always be your hotel of choice when you visit the area. I am very happy that you have always found our staff to be friendly and helpful and our rooms to be clean. Cleanliness and service are very important to us and I am happy that we haven't let you down. I will make sure to pass your kind words along to my staff. I am very sorry for the noise with the air conditioner as well as your disappointment with our breakfast. I will review these with my department heads to ensure that we improve in these areas to provide the best possible stay to everyone in the future. Thank you for being a loyal guest and I look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

When I made our reservation during a recent family road trip, I didn't realize the council bluffs area was the hot-bed of gambling and casinos - and that the hotels exist to serve that clientele. We pulled in and were surprised that the hotel shared a parking lot with the casino - cars were EVERWHERE. We had to park in a far away lot because the casino was so busy. The hotel staff was rude - We didn't know until we got there that the only rooms available were smoking rooms, unless we wanted to spend an extra $50 for a suite. Desperate, we took our chances with the smoking room. The lobby was really nice, but then we walked into the elevator, and it was old and dirty. The hallway was dated and smelled horribly of smoke, and the room was even worse. We slept with the window open all night - which didn't even have a screen. And then we were all woken up with the garbage truck clanking below us at 5 am. Good, because we couldn't wait to leave. The two positive things I will say, though, is that the hot tub was ok and the river was pretty at night. If you're a smoker and like to gamble, this would be a great place to crash for the night.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BBasil
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear BBasil,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with me. Feedback from our guests is very important in helping us to ensure that we provide the most pleasant stay possible for all of our guests in the future. I am very sorry that your time here with us turned out to be a negative experience. I am reviewing your feedback with each member of my management team to ensure that a stay like this isn't repeated in the future. I am very happy to report that we will be converting to a 100% nonsmoking hotel towards the end of the year once we receive our final approvals for the comfort of all of our guests. My staff and I care a great deal about the experiences of each of our guests and I would be more than happy to speak to you regarding your experience and what I can do to make it right. I sincerely appreciate you choosing Holiday Inn and I want to make sure that this experience doesn't sour your opinion of our wonderful brand. I assure you this is not the typical experience of one of our guests and we hold ourselves to a much higher standard. I would love to have you back with us so I can show you a much better experience the next time around!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Normal Holiday Inn. Room was fine, staff was fine, breakfast was fine. What was not fine was that their parking lot was being redone and you had to park next door at the Hampton Inn and trudge your luggage through 2 hotels. There was also a casino next door which if I had known I would have picked another hotel.

Room Tip: This hotel is right on the river but you would need to ask for a river view room. Also I suggest dr...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Debbie M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with me. I sincerely appreciate you choosing to spend your time in Council Bluffs with us. I am very sorry for the difficulties with our parking lot construction. I know how inconvenient these types of repairs can be and I sincerely appreciate your patience with us during this difficult time. The repairs are moving along on schedule and our section of the lot should be re-opened very soon. I am very happy that you were able to enjoy our views of the river and that the rest of your stay met your expectations for what a Holiday Inn should be. Thank you for sharing your experience and I sincerely hope to see you again in the future after our parking lot construction is completed.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were meeting our family at a half-way point, so we chose the Council Bluffs/Omaha area. We were very happy with this hotel in general - the hotel is kept clean and is updated. The rooms were spacious and beds were comfy. We stayed on the 5th floor overlooking the river. I agree with a previous reviewer that there is residual smoke smell when you get out onto the 5th floor from the elevator, but we did not have any of that smell in our room at all. We were glad to have a refrigerator in our room, but it wasn't that big and didn't have any freezer area to keep our ice packs frozen. Also, there was no fan in the bathroom which would have been nice to keep the steam from the shower at bay. We did not use the pool, but did walk by several times - it looked like a great area for both kids and adults and seemed clean. We really liked that this hotel is connected to the amenities of the Ameristar casino - although we didn't use the casino, we liked that they had options for child care and great restaurants that were only a short walk away. The free shuttle service was great as we wanted to be able to head out for a night on the town without having to worry about driving. The front desk staff was ok - not overly friendly, but not rude either - just more matter of fact when interacting with us. The breakfast was ok - not spectacular - the standard continental breakfast fare - we did like that they had some heated (eggs, sausage) options and they were refilling the breakfast even up to the time when it was supposed to be over. Overall, this hotel met our needs and we would definitely recommend it or stay here again!

Room Tip: even numbered rooms are river-side
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear mskrugr,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your time here with us to the TripAdvisor community! I am very happy that you were satisfied with your stay and that you were able to provide us with such honest feedback. We always love hearing from our guests about both what we have done well as well as what we can improve upon for all of our guests in the future. Your feedback about the front desk as well as the comments about your room will be relayed to my proper departments to ensure that those particular areas become stronger. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your room as well as the shuttle service and I will make sure to let my staff know that these are two areas that we can keep going strong. I am very happy that you enjoyed your time here with us and I look forward to our next opportunity to serve you!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Thus hotel was very big. The mattresses were very soft. Staff gave us extra pillows and towels when we checked in. Free water in Lobby for all guests. Free hot breakfast in the morning (normal free breakfast). Free shuttle to Omaha (excellent driver that gave us a little tour of Omaha). This hotel is connected to Ameristar Casino, which was very nice when we walked to gamble.

We had a pretty view of the river from our room. The lobby was decorated very nice. The elevators could use a little TLC. There is a strong odor outside of the hotel. It is not the hotels fault for the odor at all, but be warn there is an odor outside.

We go to Omaha at least once a year. I will stay at this hotel from now on. It was a really great stay with excellent staff.

Room Tip: Sign up for Holiday Inn rewards
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Elizabeth R,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review with the TripAdvisor community! It is great to hear all of the wonderful things you had to say about your time here with us. My staff works very hard to make our guests feel at home and I will make sure to relay to them what a wonderful job they did for you - both the shuttle driver as well as the front desk staff. It is great to hear that you enjoyed so many different aspects of your stay from the comfy rooms to the shuttle service. Return guests are very important to a hotel and I am very happy that we won you over! I have scheduled repairs to the elevator that you had mentioned so we can make sure to put our best foot forward. My staff and I sincerely thank you for such a great review of our hotel and look forward to hosting you for many years to come!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here for a concert in Council Bluffs, and this Holiday Inn did it's job. A clean, comfortable, room with a lot of space in the room. This Holiday Inn provided us with free WiFi and also a free hot breakfast, similar to what any Holiday Inn Express offers.We also were able to get free shuttle service to our concert. I recommend this property because it had a great staff at the front desk. (I watched them handle a disgruntled customer with ease and with professionalism even though it sounded like a 3rd party booking agency had messed up her reservation) This is a good choice for the casinos, concerts, even into the old market in Omaha.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HuskerFan1022
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear HuskerFan1022,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review of our hotel with the TripAdvisor community! I am very happy that we were able to make your concert trip even more enjoyable. I sincerely appreciate your kind words for the service provided by our front desk staff. One of our biggest goals is to always provide the best possible service to our guests and I will make sure to pass along to them what a wonderful job they did for you during your time here with us. I am very happy that you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities like our complimentary breakfast and our WIFI. We know these are very important to our guests and it is great that they made your time here even more comfortable. We sincerely appreciate that we were able to show you such a wonderful time and we hope to have the opportunity to do so again real soon!