“Hard to grade this one.....”

SpringHill Suites Omaha East/Council Bluffs, IA
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Clifton Park, New York
“Hard to grade this one.....”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

When we checked in, there were very few cars in the parking lot. The really young clerk told me we would be on the first floor. OK - we have been on the road for 3 weeks, and elevators have been a challenge. Opps. During the night we had the old "walking on the ceiling show." Footsteps that crreeek above you. I should have asked Junior to look at my portfolio and keep to my requests. My bad. Room was clean. Bed was comfortable. Breakfast was hot and well prepared. What set me off, actually, was listening to a French horn lesson that was going on in an adjoining room during breakfast. At 9:30 in the morning, some music student is playing scales on a French horn. What kind of management lets this happen?? If I had been a salesman who had driven 200 miles to get here and was trying to sleep - I would have burned the place down. Totally inexcusable in a hotel!!

Room Tip: No interstates nearby. But make sure you get a higher floor. Floors creak.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dawn Y, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Omaha East/Council Bluffs, IA, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
I am very sorry that the horn lesson disturbed you we managers try very hard to please every guest.
It was at 930 in the morning during the week when most of our guests are up and out of the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Draper, UT
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I liked this place very much. Very clean, comfortable, easy to get to and easy to park. The room was spotless and my only regret was I didn't get to stay a little longer. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jaltaman
Middleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was my first time staying at a SpringHill Suites, and I was pleasantly surprised. The lobby and rooms are contemporary and clean. We stayed in a 2 bed studio suite, and the layout allowed my daughter to easily go to bed while I stayed up later. I was impressed to see there was a bar available in the breakfast/happy hour area. Our visit was just an overnight while driving through the area, so we did not seek out restaurants. Location seemed great for the casino and Bass Pro Shop. The breakfast was acceptable, but nothing fantastic.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dawn Y, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Omaha East/Council Bluffs, IA, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Springhill Suites so glad you enjoyed your stay.
Hope to see you again.
Eagle
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Close to Omaha airport, this is a clean, quiet and great location to stay. Certainly better location than the Hilton Garden Inn as the highway noise is greatly, and I mean greatly reduced by the location.
The ONLY problem is the lack of good restaurants in the area. Need to either head into center of Omaha or farther into Council Bluffs to find a restaurant worth spending your money on.

Room Tip: any and all
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dawn Y, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Omaha East/Council Bluffs, IA, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you for staying with us so happy you enjoyed the hotel.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 August 2013

It pretty much looks like other springhill suites, the free breakfast was decent - eggs, sausage (pork), yogurt, milk, juice, toast, muffins, cold cereal, oatmeal and some fresh fruit. The only negative thing about this place that the hotel could change was that the employees smoked in front of the hotel. Part of the reason why we stay at Marriott hotels is because of their non-smoking policy, and I understand why they would let guests smoke in the front, but employees were smoking in the front in the area where guests were allowed to smoke.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Villa Hills, KY
Reviewed 26 August 2013

There were a couple of things that kept me from giving this hotel 5 stars, and I will mention them later. First, the good. The hotel is within walking distance of a Casino and a few restaurants. It is within affordable cab distance of two other casinos and almost any restaurant you can think of. It is right next to I-29, but my room was on the same side of the highway, and I never heard highway noise. The bed was amazingly comfortable. I always feel the bed as soon as I walk in a room. At first touch, this bed felt very firm. However, when I actually got into the bed, I sank right in. The Internet connection is extremely fast and reliable. This is not common with many hotels these days. They have a Directv package on the television, and they had many channels that you would not expect a hotel to have. I never had trouble finding a parking spot, and the hotel was full at least two of the seven nights I was there.
Now, why not five stars? Well, there is indeed an issue with the hot water as other reviews have mentioned. However, I found that if you let the water run for a few minutes, there will be hot water. It did not matter what time of the day it was, this was always the case for me. Next, there is a bar in the lobby with great drink prices. However, the bar is not always opened during the times that it is "supposed" to be open. I was told one night that it was slow, so they had to close. Well that was at 7:30. Of course you are going to be slow until about 8 when people have time to come from work and go out to eat. Furthermore, the bar is only scheduled to be opened from 5-9. How can you shut down for being slow when you are only open 4 hours? Finally, the bar is severely under-stocked.
In the end, I would choose to stay here again if I was in the area. Hopefully, the hot water issue gets resolved, and they pay better attention to the bar. A bar is quite valuable to have in a hotel lobby.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Comparing with other SpringHills we have stayed, this one is a little bit smaller. Convenient location for the people come for Mid-America Center arena. We saw the fire work around 10 pm from the arena. The pool is nice but was loaded with people so we didn't even try.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends