“Small and smelly rooms, breakfast falls short”

SpringHill Suites Omaha East/Council Bluffs, IA
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I am a Marriott Silver Elite member, which means I've stayed at my fair share of Marriott properties. I was hesitant to stay here, since SpringHill Suites are not my favorite, but choices were limited since we planned a trip to the area during the College World Series and, apparently, some high school baseball championship games. Plus, there were a lot of good reviews of the property. From the outside, it seemed promising. However, the minute we walked in it was like getting hit with a wall of mildew. There were signs everywhere asking guests to excuse the mess and dust as they begin to renovate. It was hard to overlook it. Within our first few hours of being in the hotel, none of us could breathe. We all woke up the next morning with sore throats and our sinuses were on fire. In the end, our three night stay was only two nights. We just couldn't handle the stink of the hotel any longer. We thought about leaving after the first night, but after a full day at the zoo we were too tired to drive home!

Second, the room we were in was horrible. Following another tip found here, I did call ahead and request a room on the top floor, facing away from the interstate. I was glad I did, especially after seeing the hotel was taken over by high school baseball players and their parents. We had a room that could sleep 5, but it was one of the most crowded rooms I've stayed in. Not only was it small, but they had started renovation work in there. I had to ask for the room to be vacuumed again, as there was so much debris left behind from work on the walls.

Finally, the breakfast must depend on the day. Our first morning, I thought it was the only redeeming quality of the hotel. My family was happy with the selection, and the food was hot and decent. The second morning we went down at 8:45 a.m. (Breakfast ends at 9:30 a.m.) Nearly everything was gone, and there were a lot of people coming in behind us. I asked if they were going to refill the buffet and received a mumbled response that it wasn't worth the time since they closed in 45 minutes. They were - literally - out of oatmeal, nearly out of eggs, had three grapes left out of the fruit selection, and had 6 muffins left. There was a line-up of baseball players and other families behind us and no one was happy when they realized there was no more breakfast coming. It was over breakfast that we made the decision to call our trip to the area short a day and go home. While my family ate, I went and notified staff we were checking out a day early.

I will say that the hotel staff was very nice and I actually felt bad saying that we were leaving early because the hotel sucked.

I would recommend NOT staying at this property. There are several properties close by that may be better options. I could have honestly overlooked the size of the hotel room, and even the shortcomings of breakfast, but the smell of the hotel it too much.

Room Tip: Top floor, facing away from the interstate
Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HCM94
Saraya R, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Omaha East/Council Bluffs, IA, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear HCM94,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the SpringHill Suites Council Bluffs and Trip Advisor viewers. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking steps to avoid this issue in the future. I would also like to apologize that our breakfast quanitity was running low.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the phone number listed below. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here in early June. Checked in & was told the hot tub was closed due to the state/city had not called to approve the reopening of it. Not sure what that meant. First thought was it had bacteria in it but I didn't want to assume. This was a disappointment though. We were looking forward to using it but could not. There are signs around the lobby saying they are spring cleaning. The only difference I noticed (we had stayed here last March) was there were a few rooms that were being painted. The room itself was larger (like all Springhills are). Studio style. Was pretty clean, however there were no wash cloths anywhere in the room. Would have contacted front desk but didn't notice until was ready to get in shower. Also, air conditioning unit in room was extremely noisy. Told front desk about this at check out & she apologized but only offered extra points on the Marriott Rewards card. Would have rather had a few bucks off. Which leads to: received an email when I got back from our trip about completeing a survey about the property. I stated my opinion about the hot tub & air conditioner & they offered to take off $20 from the bill, which they did. Will give this place another try the next time we are back in the area. Always in the past, we had a perfect stay. This time not as good, but still not horrible & it was corrected by management later. That is good customer service & so therefore, we will be back. Plus about hotel is it is close to casino, which we had a fun time at.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed there at the end of last month and the hotel was very nice and so was the staff. The hot tub was the perfect temperature and the pool was nice and warm. The room was really nice, better than I expected! I liked how they had a wall in between where the bed was and the living room area that was rather nice.

The only thing we did not like was the Breakfast, it was one of the worst we ever had! I had the sausage and French Toast. The French Toast was hard and tasteless and the sausage had no flavor to it, I took about 3 bites of my Breakfast and threw it away! The only thing good about the Breakfast was the coffee, it was very good.

Room Tip: Avoid the Breakfast but get the coffee!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TSP1973
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We booked the family room package which included 4 tickets for the zoo. Was a good value. Room was nice and clean, kids enjoyed the pool and breakfast was good. Overall was a good stay. Only thing was we ended up staying under a whole team of little league kids.. They were out of control and the front desk suggested to move us ( my 2 infants were already in bed since it as 930pm) instead of asking them to stop running up and down the halls. Rather lame.. I had to go up instead and tell them to stop. They were fine after that. The front desk really should have handled it but what can you do...

Room Tip: Make sure there are no little leagues staying above you:)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Alicia S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Omaha East/Council Bluffs, IA, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Hello,

Thank you for being our guest on your family visit to the Omaha Zoo, and for taking the time to give us and our future guest your feedback of our property.

Everything that we do is aimed at ensuring our guest enjoy their experience with us. Your feedback is key in doing so. Again we thank you for staying and look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed at the Spring Hill Suites last weekend and had a very good stay. They were very busy with baseball teams, weddings, etc. but they handled everything very well. There was a fairly long line for breakfast on Saturday morning so we just got in the hot tub for a little bit before breakfast. When we did return for breakfast they were recovering fairly quickly from the rush they had.

I would suggest this location for anyone in the area and we will most likely stay there again on our next visit to the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Alicia F, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Omaha East/Council Bluffs, IA, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to give us your feed back! We are very excited to also announce that we are doing some "Spring Cleaning" and our property will have a fresh face the next time you come to town.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stay here on a frequent basis for business. The rooms are always clean, the fitness center is nice, breakfast is amazing and the staff is friendly. They make an great effort in accommodating your needs. The beds are very comfortable, the DirecTv works well and the rooms are just laid out in a very functional way. Overall a great hotel to stay in for a good night of sleep after a hard day of work.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife and I stayed three nights here while visiting Omaha, which is just a few minutes across the Missouri River. The room was attractive, comfortable, spacious and in spotless condition; the staff was helpful and unobtrusive. We liked the extra sitting and working space that makes this a suite instead of just a room with a little bit of furniture.

The only thing that was less than perfect was some difficulty getting and keeping the right temperature.

Even though there is a lot of competing hotel space in Omaha-Council Bluffs, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple