“Average place to stay”

Best Western Crossroads Of The Bluffs
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We spent one night at the Best Western Crossroads of the Bluff. They checked us in promptly. Negative was we got the room next to the laundry and ice machine. Slept well and they promptly took us to the Omaha airport the next morning. Another negative was they incorrectly credited my Best Western reward points. Listed our reservation as being cancelled. Best Western Rewards department did correct it though. Next time I fly to Omaha I will select a Hotel closer to the airport because this one has a 30 drive.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Crossroads is located in an industrial part of town. It's not conveniently located within walking distance to restaurants or shops. The room was fine. Clean and comfortable and fine for a nights stay. The breakfast buffet was the typical fare with the exception of no breakfast meats. The rooms are evidently popular with the truckers (several big rigs parked out back). If I was just passing through and needed a room for the night I'd stay here again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I checked in late about 2 am. My only complaint was that the room smelled like a wet dog, and there were a few random hairs in the bathroom the next morning. The staff was wonderful, and the room was newly remolded with comfortable beds.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We just finished a two night stay here, and we never plan to stay again if we can help it. There are numerous problems with this aging hotel that could easily be fixed, but there seem to be some significant management problems that keep details from being addressed. The front desk clerk was obviously untrained and/or unskilled when I was checking in, because he stepped away to answer the phone right in the middle of the check-in and did not even at excuse me. He then took the call without asking the caller to hold until we were finished. He was wearing a uniform shirt, but had a filthy, worn white t-shirt beneath it that protruded at the collar. He was witnessed by my wife later leaving the hotel, untucking his shirt as he was walking to his car. He could not wait to leave and disassociate himself with this hotel.
This place is an ADA nightmare: There is no elevator to second floor rooms, the main entrance curb is curved and is all the same tan color, making it difficult to see the edge of the curb. A member of our party tripped and fell flat forward right in front of me. I heard of another member of our party almost tripping in the same spot. This coud so easily be helped with some yellow, orange or bright safety paint. There are no door openers installed anywhere.
Despite having a key card reader installed on the door, the fitness room requires a metal key to activate the deadbolt lock that is also on the door. I had to walk all the way back to the front desk to learn this, however as the management apparently could not be bothered to post a simple note there. There was a water cooler in the fitness center, but no cups. No towels were there either, and the clock on the wall was not working. The safety stops on both treadmills are missing, but the front desk clerk gave me two round magnets to place on the treadmills to get them to work, mumbling something about having trouble with children playing on them. Why not just give the customer the magnet still attached to the safety lanyard as a key, this enabling the treadmill to deactivate if the user falls off or passes out?
More details that would be so easy to fix: There is a large sign that says "Spirits" above the counter in the restaurant/breakfast area, but there is no bar service anywhere on the premises. Next to that, there is a sign that says "All American Cafe & Grill: Salads, Sandwiches, Bakery & Pizza, but there is no restaurant operating on the premises aside from the daily breakfast bar that does not offer these items. This shows that the management cannot be bothered to simply remove the signs, obviously leftover from better times. While one of the two sets of public restrooms was being cleaned, the other marked restrooms were locked. When I asked at the front desk if they could be unlocked, I was told that they were closed because the water did not work in them. Again, something simple to fix. The carpet was pulled up at the threshold to our guest room bathroom, unsightly and exposing sharp carpet bar barbs beneath. Our in-room HVAC unit was old, noisy and the thermostat dial was stripped, making it nearly impossible to know where it was actually set. The customer service and physical maintenance of this facility are desperately in need of improvement. I was made to wonder how clean my room actually was and if my sheets & towels had been cleaned properly. This facility should be avoided until it has new management and has been brought up to modern standards.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ross S
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Hotel provided four pillows for each queen bed and beds were comfortable. Conveniently located to a Texas Roadhouse. All amenities that we required such as microwave and refrigerator. Good night's sleep. No complaints with this location.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

First the toilet didn't flush. It took 4 trips to find a plunger that would work. Then no hand towels and wash cloths. After we were in bed we discovered the tv and clock were unplugged. We are too old to crawl around on the floor, behind furniture to replug. When I complained, first the desk clerk said the housekeepers always unplug everything when they clean. The housekeeper overheard her and said that was not true. Then the desk clerk said she could give me a 10% discount or have the general manager, Ali, call me. I'm still waiting. The breakfast area looks great but the food was not. Had better in Super 8s or Quality Suites. Just all around BAD!

1  Thank Carla H
Faisal A, Manager at Best Western Crossroads Of The Bluffs, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 712-322-3150.

Ali
BEST WESTERN Crossroads of the Bluffs

Reviewed 24 April 2014

The pool and fitness center were closed. The room was adequate and we don't have high expectations for an overnight stay. Used my own shampoo and the soap was ok. The refrigerator in the room froze everything. The bedding was clean and the beds were comfortable. It was ok for an overnight on the road but it is not a destination. Also the food was cold.,

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple