“This property stands out - for the right reasons.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection

Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Davenport
San Francisco, California
“This property stands out - for the right reasons.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

The wife and I stayed here last Saturday night after a wedding at a separate location. The place was just simply above and beyond expectations. The property looks gorgeous. I know it is newly renovated, but it appears to be well maintained so far. I really liked the little touches, such as live music as we were checking out Sunday.

Check in was smooth. There was nobody in line ahead of use so it was very quick. Right away we could see everything in this place was well thought out. Every employee we approached smiled and said hello. Everything appeared clean and in its proper place. We checked out our room and then stopped for a quick bite in Begnet's. It provided quick service and hit the spot for a reasonable price.

The room was a standard king, and it was large. Nice little entryway, big bathroom, big main living area with a place to lounge. It looked out over the parking lot ("city view") which was fine. The windows do not open. There was a door for an adjoining room if we had been travelling with friends or family. We found the bed to be comfortable. We did not notice any amount of unusual noise throughout the night - we both slept very well. We woke up and took a run along the river (just a few blocks away) which has a path along it, and it was very nice.

We did not get to take advantage of Bix's, or the spa, or the in-house fitness facility, but the prices appeared reasonable. Also, the mini-bar prices we thought were very reasonable. Such as - a bag of chips for a buck instead of four bucks like one might expect.

Parking was free. They offered a shuttle to and from the airport if we had needed it (hybrid SUV). It looks like they are well equipped to handle parties large and small.

Next door to the River Center, casino, theater, etc. I would say this is an excellent location.

Bottome line, if we are ever back in Davenport and can't stay with family, we will stay here again, and we will be sure to take advantage of more on-site amenities. Best hotel in the area.

Room Tip: Our corner room was spacious. Not sure about the others.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Front Office Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
Dear copperpot,
Thank you for such a glowing review regarding your recent stay at Hotel Blackhawk. We are so pleased you were able to enjoy your Saturday night with us. It is easy to see you are an experienced and informed traveler which makes your great feedback that much more rewarding for us. When in the area again perhaps you would care to contact me directly, I would be happy to give you an upgrade to a suite if available that would allow you to have the family come visit you, and partake in some of the Hotel Blackhawk's many experiences and ammenities. We love our repeat guest, and always try to go above and beyond for them, so please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you again for a great review and we hope to see you in the future.
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

We stayed at Hotel Blackhawk for a wedding in May, and very much enjoyed our stay. Our room was spacious and comfortable, with a large bathroom and an area that would have been comfortable for work had that been a necessity.

The staff was accommodating with all requests we made; upon making our reservation, they suggested we join the I Prefer program, and a complimentary bottle of wine would also be included. We did, and we (or at least I!)- were pleasantly surprised when we also had a credit for the on-site salon and spa with the I Prefer perks in our package when we arrived.

I did use the spa credit for an express service, and enjoyed the experience. There were no full appointments available when I called, which is understandable for a nice spa on the weekend, so make your spa reservations in advance if you have your heart set on a particular service.

We did not dine in the restaurant on site, but did meet friends at the hotel bar, where the service was good and drink prices were what we would have expected.

There was more than adequate complimentary parking on site, without a long walk to the lobby. The hotel location was convenient for walking to other downtown activities while we were in town.

We read that the hotel had recently been remodeled, and it was very well done. Both the wedding and the reception were on site at the Blackhawk, and the venue was large enough to host the event, and still felt intimate for visiting with friends and family.

We very much enjoyed our stay, and plan to come back to the Hotel Blackhawk for a getaway weekend at some point in the future.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear madfarmersdaughter,
Thank you for choosing us during your recent trip to the Quad Cities. We are so pleased you enjoyed your event and accomodations. Thank you for mentioning the I-Prefer program, we are proud members of the Preferred Hotel Group and joing the I-Prefer program is a great way to recieve not only credits and gifts but also early check-in and late check-out options. We would love to have both of you back to relax and enjoy an incredible get away. We offer many packages that would be a great fit no matter how big or small your plans may be and I urge you to check our websites often to grab excellent deals!
We look forward to seeing you again very soon. Please do not hesitate to contact us regarding future stays, packages, etc. We are more than happy to assist with any of your needs.
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

Let me start by saying that Davenport is the provinces.
Stop acting ruffled. It is and you know it is. If you are running through downtown and trip, you will land in the "suburbs." Or the Mississippi. But I digress.
Davenport is the provinces, and unsurprisingly, there IS a lot that is provincial about this hotel. BUT it is far and away head and shoulders above ANYTHING else I've experienced (or, I think EXISTS) in the area, and in many, many cases, it surprised the heck out of us.
We'd travelled up for the weekend to visit relatives. Usually we drive down same day from our home in Chicago, but it's a tough haul and we'd decided to try driving down the night before, staying somewhere decent, and being rested up for the visit and drive home. Given that our trip was no-pressure, we could have stayed anywhere just to crash, but I am SO glad we decided to treat ourselves and make a night of it, and we WILL be back.
Firstly, the building is LOVELY. Beautifully restored, elegant historical touches, tasteful decor. Our room was very good - spacious and clean, great neutral decor, high-end treats in the minibar, lovely complimentary robes, huge work desk, nice lighting, good view, super comfy King bed, big TV in the main room, plus one embedded in the bathroom mirror (It only got 4 channels, but oh well - What better place to watch Fox News than the toilet?..). A couple of tiny mistakes - no pen in the room to fill out your room service breakfast order form, and our in-room iPod dock/alarm clock/radio was dead as a doornail. I am sure a quick call to the front desk would have gotten these things sorted out, but at nearly $300 a night, I don't expect to have to call for a pen. Plus, their website crowed very proudly about the in-room iPod dock/alarm clock/radio , so... you'd think...
The fitness center had stellar, top of the line equipment, which was clean and well-maintained - with the exception of there being no mats, so I did my situps on a very hard floor. Again, not a huge deal, but their website also crowed very proudly about the gym mats. No really, it did. The gym did have free bottled water, and they kept the gym towels in the fridge with the water, which was fun and made me giggle.
Their restaurant, Bix, was the big and delightful surprise of the night. Yes, the wine list was insulting (a $12 bottle of supermarket wine marked up to $40!!?), but the martinis were GREAT. The Chet Baker is awesome, but nearly knocked my socks off - beware! We sent one to a chick in the lobby who had hijacked the live piano player and was caterwauling her way through the Andrew Lloyd Webber songbook... It worked a treat! Halfway through the drink she had to sit down. Mission Accomplished.
Speaking of bread, the basket had 3 varieties of fresh baked loaves, all VERY well executed, with the jalapeno being my fave. For starters I had the crabcake - which was well-seasoned and accompanied, but was the size of my head, so more squishy than crispy and a LOT of food for an appetizer... and for mains I had a squash and cheese ravioli in almondine sauce that was AMAZING. Best ravioli I've had in YEARS. Pillowy, light pasta, perfectly seasoned filling, delicate sauce that I almost licked off the plate... SO well made! We sent sincere compliments to the chef for that one. Just heavenly.
Mr. had the antelope, which was extremely good, but came with a stalk of broccolli rabe that must have been soaked in wasabi it was so horribly bitter and eye-watering. No idea why Chef thought that would be a good side for such an otherwise lovely dish...
For dessert, Mr. had Key Lime cheesecake, which was very nice, and I had creme brulee, which, when it arrived, had obviously been sitting for ages as the shell was soft and watery, and when asked by our (very personable) server, I did tell the truth about it. She apologized and said there'd been a wedding, so the kitchen was a little overwhelmed and had likely cut a few corners that day. I said no big deal, but everything else had been done with such attention that it was a dissapointment. When the bill came, the brulee was not on it. Now THAT is proper customer service.
Thanks to the Chet Baker martinis, we didn't feel up for visiting the much-touted downstairs bar and bowling alley, but as it was $45 an hour (?!) I wasn't that keen on it anyway. I can only assume it's priced so high to keep people from hogging lanes?... Who knows, but a bit steep for something that should just be a bit of fun.
I'd signed us up for "I Prefer" (a free VIP service offered by Summit, Blackhawk's parent company, which I recommend anyone do who's planning on staying here...), so we got a $25 breakfast voucher and had a GREAT breakfast in bed with it. Mr. had basic eggs-and-bacon, and I had a very yummy breakfast burrito. My only complaints here are - no legs on the breakfast tray so lots of near-spills in the bed... and the room service delivery boy just waltzed itno the room, even though Mr. had met him at the door and said "hang on," to bring the tray to me himself. Yes, I had on jammies, but I've NEVER had a room service person just enter a hotel room uninvited! Mr. gently led him back out, but then he'd apparently given us the wrong part of the reciept, so a minute later he knocked on the door and when hubby opened it, in he waltzed again! And FYI, there was a small hallway leading into the main room, so it would have been easy for him to respect our privacy - simply by standing in the doorway and not coming the heck in!
Little things like that annoy me a LOT, because if a hotel is going to tout itself as top-of-the-line, then it needs to coach the staff in the basics of correct service. For $300 a night, room service runners should know better.
BUT, overall, we had a really good time, a great meal, a great night's sleep, and felt pretty well taken care of and able to face the relatives the next day.

Room Tip: We could have paid a bit more for "partial river view" but the room we had (city view) was...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Annapanda
Dear Annapanda,
Thank you for your thorough and candid review regarding all of your recent experiences at Hotel Blackhawk. We have shared all of this great feedback with the various departments and staff. We really enjoyed the entire review and take the opportunities to improve very seriously.
I personally have urged everyone to really focus on these opportunities and use it as a tool to improve service throughout the property. I am confident the short comings you mentioned can and will be fixed immediately. Thank you for all of your observations and taking the time to share them with us.
Please contact me personally in the future when making your next reservation, I would be more than happy to take care of both of you.Thank you so much for your patronage.
Crystal Lake, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

stayed there this past week-end. Had room with great view of the river...so pretty at night. Decor is a mix of the brand new along with the classy decor of the original hotel. Just beautiful. Would fit right in a big city downtown...was hard to believe we were in Davenport.!! Loved the free parking. Every employee we talked to was very friendly . Would love to stay there again!

Dear ann f,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel blackhawk. Your great compliments are wonderful to hear and really helps us to gauge our guests perception. I also sometimes find it hard to believe that such a great facility is nestled in downtown Davenport. It really opens my eyes to the great direction our entire area is moving towards.
We are very pleased both of you were able to enjoy your Blackhawk experience and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

An awesome time in a wonderfully restored hotel with QUITE the history --- from early 1900s majesty to 1990s flop house to a fire after a meth lab blew up and barely the building being saved from near demolition as an eyesore to a multi-multi-multi million dollar remodel finished in the past two years which combines some really great 1915 decor and features with the best modern-day rooms I have stayed in ever! Well deservant of their membership in the National Trust's Historic Hotels of America listings! The upsides are the staff and the rooms as they both are THE Best. Comfort really takes top priority and the amenities — from the pool and spa to the fact the room had THREE TV sets (including one I found somewhat needless in the bathroom mirror!) to a walk-in shower and no useless (I feel) bath tub this place has it. They offer free parking on site plus a lobby and room feel that's right out of the grandeur of the last century. The hotel, too, is an interesting mix with eight floors of rooms for those who come and go (the convention centre and Adler Theatre --- also wonderfully restored --- are next door and attached with walkways) then a floor for longer term guests and then two of rental apartments. The whole thing is well-managed and right in the middle of downtown Davenport. There are lovely views of the Mississippi River and the hotel offers every amenity --- many of them free. There's also a bowling alley in the basement (!) which we never had time to visit and a great breakfast cafe called Beignet Done That on the first floor. Only bad thing about the cafe was they ran out of beignets one of the days we were there as they had a big convention in and couldn't make 'em fast enough. They really ARE that good! Get the minis and inhale an order!
So is there a down-side to this hotel? Two but they are small. When the place is busy parking in their lot can be non-existent. We had to twice ask for help from the doorman and both times were quickly taken care of, but on busy weekends it can be tight. And the bug-a-boo we cite often if you read our reviews is true here, too: slow, slow, slow "high speed" internet. We shudda known when we walked in the room to see the how to connect card and logo it would be bad as it's provided by a firm whose name I sadly see in a lot of hotels and without a single exception the firm (I'll leave the name out) runs poor speeds and worse folks on their help desk. If you even dare call their helpline (I have before but didn't bother this time) you won't get much except told it's your gear! How bad is the issue? So bad that we were glad when we mentioned it upon check out that the Blackhawk's excellent front desk staff said "we hear that a lot...we are trying to get another vendor". If they do that will make the place 100% in our eyes. And they can save the cash to upgrade the net by taking out one or two of the TVs we barely watched if they wish! Three is tooooo many in one room!
So would we stay again...YES in a moment. Did we love Davenport? Yes, but sadly they lack downtown retail and come up short on nearby restaurants (there's a great one IN the hotel though) so we hope the city's powers-that-be work on both. As for us, we were here for business and spent three days working and enjoying a lovely hotel. We'd recommend it, but book early as they seem to be so much the best in town they book up fast especially in Summer "wedding season".

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor & balcony which are both great to sit and watch the Mississippi River go by...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank lilamadison
Dear lilamadison,
Let me start by mentioning how impressed I was on your extremely thorough review regarding your recent stay. Your in depth description of your experience has been warmly welcomed and shared with our staff. Futhermore your record of reviews and thoughtful remarks in your past experiences at other establishments has convinced everyone of your vast knowledge of hospitality. Therefore allow me to express our deepest appreciation for taking the time to really learn about our property and our culture, and of course sharing it with others.
Hotel Blackhawk is a historical jewel, we try to embody the culture and hospitality that she trully deserves. We are constantly striving to improve all aspects of our patrons experience, It is experienced travelers like yourself that offer us a great feel on what needs improved upon. Again we are honored to recieve a review such as yours, and we warmly welcome you back in the future.
Please contact me personally when in the area again, I am looking forward to the priviledge of meeting you.
Lexington, KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Blackhawk over Memorial Day weekend for a wedding. We both really liked it. The room was very nice. I especially loved the tv in the bathroom mirror. You can relax in the tub and watch tv. Very relaxing. There is also a retro bowling alley in the basement of the hotel, which was a lot of fun. We enjoyed the Bix bar in the lobby. The staff was very friendly. My only complaint was that is was a little too warm in our hotel room.I had set the thermostat as low as it would go, which was 65 degrees, but it never got anywhere close to below 70 degrees, which made it a little uncomfortable to sleep at night. If we ever go back to Davenport, we would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kristini
Dear Kristini,
Thank you for you excellent review! We are so pleased to hear that your Husband and yourself were able to take a little time to relax during your recent stay. We definitely appreciate your feedback concerning the compliments as well as the opportunities you mentioned regarding your accomodations. I will meet with our maintenance department and ensure that in the future every guest can experience the exact right temperature that suits them.It is very important to everyone at the Hotel that all of our guest are as comfortable as possible. We appreciate all of your comments and look forward to seeing both of you again as soon as possible. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, I look forward to meeting both of you.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

I travel 20 plus weeks a year and mainly stay in Hiltons but this hotel is fantastic, Great service, beautiful rooms. It even has a blowing alley and a bar in the basement.

Room Tip: Wood fire grill nearby is good and reapsonable value, There is a neat coffee shop attached that ha...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Stevedenver033,
Thank you Steve for taking the time to post an excellent review on your recent experience at Hotel Blackhawk. I am glad we could accomodate you during this trip, and we look forward to seeing you in the future. After so many weeks on the road perhaps we could offer a little relaxation with our on site Day Spa and Barber Shop on your return trip. We wish you safe travels untill we can serve you again.
Thank you.
Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Hampton Inn Davenport
Hampton Inn Davenport
#2 of 25 in Davenport
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Davenport
Radisson Quad City Plaza Hotel
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Moline
Homewood Suites by Hilton Davenport
Hilton Garden Inn Bettendorf / Quad Cities

Been to Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!