“Fantastic restaurant - teeny tiny room”

Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Davenport
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Bix restaurant was fantastic - wait staff fell over themselves to make sure we had a great dining experience - tuna tartar was delicious, as was the Blackhawk Salad. Downside was the room we got - king bed, desk, night stand, and dresser are really crammed into a very small room. For $240 in downtown Davenport, was very surprised. Pool looks really nice and hot tub relaxing - will try those tonight.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen A
Jacob H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Good afternoon Karen A,

Thank you for your review of the Bix Bistro and Hotel Blackhawk. I am glad to hear of your great experience in the Bix Bistro! I do apologize that the room size was not up to your standards. It is unfortunate to hear that your stay here did not live up to the four diamond quality. I hope that you enjoyed your stay despite the room size. We hope to have you stay again with us in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly before your next stay.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 1 night and I was sorry it wasn't longer.
The customer is obviously king.
It had a very restful ambiance with a piano gently playing in the background and is very airy and spacious.
Reception couldn't find our booking when we arrived so whilst they made a phone call the Bell Hop gave us a history of the hotel, we were then allocated a junior suite which was fabulous. There was a full kitchen including full size dishwasher, washer and dryer. As we had been on the road for a few days I used the washer and dryer gratefully.
The bed was out of this world, I had the best sleep I have had in weeks.
We were asked when we were shown to the suite if there was enough towels, coffee etc, we asked for extra coffee and we were asked how many we would like. Who could ask for more.
Breakfast was lovely and less expensive than other establishments.
I really can't say enough good things about this hotel, I loved it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsD16
Jacob H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Good Morning MrsD16,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Hotel Blackhawk. We are very appreciative of your great recommendation as well as glowing review of our hotel. We inspire to be a home away from home to people who are traveling and we hope you have found a second home with us.We certainly would love to have you as a guest again in the future. Thank you again for your wonderful words. I will be sure to pass them along to the bellman and other staff members!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I got on the road late from Iowa, heading home to Chicago, and needed to stop at 9:30 in Davenport. From my phone,I called Hotel Blackhawk, and they had availability. I knew nothing about the Hotel, and was pleasantly surprised how beautiful the lobby was, and the check-in process was quick and friendly. My room was lovely, and looked out over the river, so I was able to see some remaining fireworks. I enjoyed a late night nosh at the Bix bar. There were a few patrons there, having a good time, so the bartender was paying them a lot of attention, and she seemed to forget "little ol me," sitting in the corner, so service was lacking on my end. Plus, I should not say this, but the bartender's voice was the most annoying. I don't know if it was a phony voice, or if that how she really talked. But, it was like finger nails on a chalk board. (personal observation). Also, there was no corkscrew in the hotel except the annoying bartender's. If you have a mini-bar, there should be a corkscrew in the rooms, if someone takes it, charge for it. But, with that said, it was a lovely pit stop, and I shall stay again.

Room Tip: River view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ann M
Jacob H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Good Afternoon Ann M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Hotel Blackhawk on TripAdvisor. We are honored that you chose us, and are appreciative of the time that you took to provide us with feedback. Your detailed review and compliments regarding the hotel are extremely kind; thank you. I can certainly empathize with you in regards to the lack of service at the bar. I apologize that you were neglected. We pride ourselves on excellent service, anything less is unacceptable. I will make sure to bring that up with the staff. Also, the corkscrew suggestion was great and we will be looking into that option.

I'm glad your experience overall was a good one and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is a beautiful hotel. Gorgeous lobby. Our room was spacious and nicely appointed. Large bathroom with 2 person shower. Yes the water pressure is a little lacking and i had to wonder if the river flooding conditions had something to do with it. We were able to get spa appointments last minute and the staff and facility were top notched. We had dinner at the Bix Bistro. Tod, our waiter was wonderful and recommended excellent dishes. The Bix martini was to die for. Have the tuna tartare appetizer. Delicious. Ask the bellman for a tour. You'll get some great history. We will definitely be back!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Teri T
Jacob H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Good afternoon Teri T,

I am thrilled to hear about your wonderful time here with us! I am sorry about the lack of water pressure in the shower. It is something that I will definitely look in to. It is our pleasure to make your experience top notch! Hotel Blackhawk has an amazing history and we are so glad to be able to share that with our guests. I will personally pass on your encouraging remarks to our entire staff. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Blackhawk. It is a beautiful historic building and the decor is a mix of old and new which I really enjoy. As is very common in renovated buildings, the rooms are small but nicely decorated. The bed was large and comfortable. The bathroom was fantastic too look at with a beautiful shower and large soaking tub; however, the water pressure was quite low making a shower a less than ideal experience. The room also had two robes which were very nice. The one downside was the tv had horrible reception. Of the listed channels only a few actually displayed. I had breakfast in the hotel coffee shop where the staff was very pleasant and eager to please but a little disorganized. Another unique feature to this hotel is that the basement has a martini bar with bowling alleys...a very nice diversion.

Overall I say its worth the experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mrs_Mazk

Good afternoon Mrs_Mazk,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of Hotel Blackhawk. I am so glad to hear that your overall experience was a positive one! I am sorry to hear that the shower pressure and TV reception was not up to par. I will definitely look into these matters as we always want to provide the best experience possible for our guests. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was my first experience with The Blackhawk Autographed Collection in Davenport, Iowa. I stayed there on a recommendation of a friend while attending a convention which was connected to the hotel. Upon driving up to the door and beyond, I was greeted like a favorite guest! Check in was a breeze and the rooms were beautifully decorated and had every amenity imaginable. The bar and restaurants were welcoming and served wonderful food. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: ALL the rooms were unique and wonderful!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Good afternoon ntune,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience here at Hotel Blackhawk! I am thrilled that your stay here was a pleasant one. We pride ourselves on guest elation and it is fantastic to hear that we are keeping that standard high. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed on Marriott points as I was waiting to splurge a reward certificate and I was not disappointed. I'm sure if this hotel were in a more urban market it would have been a rewards tier 6 or 7 and not a 5, and I wouldn't have had the opportunity to see a beautifully preserved historic hotel.
At first I was worried that I would feel like there wasn't enough space between the door to the hallway and the room as most feature a "sideways" layout. I should not have worried at all. The walls were well insulated and even with the soaring ceilings the luxurious drapes provided complete black out over the practically floor to ceiling windows. There was plenty of space to spread out and my daughter particularly liked the day bed with convenient side table. I loved the laptop safe and desk area.
The lobby is absolutely stunning and having attended a few functions here many years back I'm delighted to see the preservation efforts as well as the ingenious re-worked side entry with attached parking lot. Plus, the staff was exceptionally outgoing helping us to our car during a downpour and asking if they could provide a drink while waiting a few minutes for our room to be ready. The pool area was beautiful and we enjoyed a night swim and the hotel gift shop had just the card we needed for a friend. There was fresh fruit at the front desk which was a nice welcoming touch and the perfect snack after driving 4 hours.
I shall now seek out other Autograph hotels in my future travels and I hope they all live up to the excellent restoration and amenities as the Hotel Blackhawk.

Room Tip: We were on the seventh floor with a river view. Note that most of the rooms have a courtyard view bu...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SuperMommyJen5

Good afternoon SuperMommyJen5,

Thank you for taking the time to share the great experience you had with us here at Hotel Blackhawk . Giving superb service to our guests is an absolute delight. I am thrilled that you and your daughter had a fantastic time here. I will personally pass on your encouraging remarks to our entire staff.

We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
The Current Iowa, Autograph Collection
Radisson Quad City Plaza Hotel
Hampton Inn Davenport
Hampton Inn Davenport
#1 of 26 in Davenport
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Davenport
Radisson on John Deere Commons
Hilton Garden Inn Bettendorf / Quad Cities

Been to Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!