“Perfect stay”

Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Davenport
Saint Paul, MN
“Perfect stay”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This is not a deluxe or unique property. However, when travelling with dogs, we like a place that is clean and convenient. The room was very clean, comfortable and right next to the side door to outside. The staff went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. After a 4:00 am potty trip, one of the staff members saw us outside and came around to the side door and held it open for us. Talk about nice customer service! For that alone, they get five stars :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Laurie C, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Davenport, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Comfort while away from home is key to travelers, and we are happy that you were able to find that at our hotel. Thank you for selecting our hotel, and we look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Wow I almost don't even know where to begin on this one. I want to preface this review by saying that I totally understand that problems can arise, particularly with computer systems. My problem is less with the mechanics of the computer problem and mostly with the nasty attitude of the hotel employee in handling the problem and dealing with us. Anybody can have a great customer service experience when events run smoothly, but true customer service comes into play when there's a problem, and this was a big fail. This employee needs some serious retraining. My partner and I booked and paid for this hotel room through Priceline for Sunday night, June 16. We are both experienced Priceline customers, and were expecting our usual quick 5 minute check in. Upon arrival at 1:30 am exhausted from driving, we were greeted with "What brings you to Davenport?" We said we were just passing through. Then we were interrogated about where specifically we were traveling to and our reason for travel. Then that information as entered into the computer. Then the debit card my partner provided for "incidentals" got declined. This was surprising to him since there were sufficient funds in the account. The desk clerk attempted the card 4 more times, all showing not approved. On at least one other attempt we were again asked where we were traveling to. Finally my partner offered to pay the deposit in cash and we were told they do not accept cash. My partner decided to call his bank to see what was going on. He told me that he was going out to the car to get his checkbook, and the clerk snapped at him "We don't accept checks either!" He patiently replied that he was not offering her a check, he needed to get his bank account number for when he called the bank. He put the bank representative on speaker phone, and she confirmed on her end that the transactions went through on the bank's side. She could see amounts, and times, and reported that now $220 was being held by Fairfield. The desk clerk argued with her that her computer showed the transactions were not approved, and there was nothing she could do, she couldn't let us into the room. She then said that she did not have proof that was actually the bank on the phone, we could have just called anyone! My partner then offered to pull up his bank statement online on the hotel lobby computer. When he did, the transactions were there. The clerk insisted on seeing all his recent transactions. Then, she questioned the legitimacy of his bank! She asked, "What kind of bank is this, anyway? I've never heard of it." My partner explained that it was a bank in our state that had multiple locations across many states. She said that maybe she could accept $50 cash deposit after all, and my partner objected since Fairfield was already holding $220 from the 5 other attempts. He asked her if it would be better if we just moved into another hotel and forfeited the money we paid Priceline. The desk clerk said that wouldn't be necessary and finally let us into our room. This whole experience really upset us. We were treated like criminals who were trying to pull a big scam on Marriott in order to get out of paying a deposit for incidental charges on a room that we had already paid for. The next morning I spoke to the manager, who was not very sympathetic, and deflected the whole problem to Priceline and how difficult their computer system was to work with. She smiled and assured us they would release the $220 hold on our account in 3-5 business days. The room itself was fine. The location was a little difficult to get to, but not a big deal in the big picture.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dawn H
Laurie C, Manager at Fairfield Inn Davenport, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dawn,
I sincerely apologize for the trouble that was caused during your check in to our hotel. I am very disappointed by the service you received and the problems with the card. I am using your situation as a training opportunity with all of our staff so they will all know how to best serve our guests in a respectful manner in times of computer difficulty. I hope you consider our hotel the next time you are traveling through town so we can show you our service improvement.

Laurie
Eagan, MN
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Signage behind the car dealership is only 3 feet high to direct you to this Fairfield Inn entrance (city ordinance?), but once found you should find a friendly staff, a comfortable room and have a more than adequate breakfast. Fairfield Inns rarely disappoint - and this one holds itself to Marriott standards for cleanliness and service.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Oskaloosa, Iowa
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I was able to find the Hotel very easy. Finding the entrance was another matter. Once I did find it my check in was fast. I was meeting a long time friend who I had not seen for over 20 years. He lived in Davenport so I allowed him to show me around. Enjoyed my stay. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Des Moines
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My parents still live in the Quad Cities, so I've tried a handful of hotels in that area when I go back home for visits. Once I found the Fairfield, I kept coming back. It's one of the cheaper 'nice' hotels in the QCA. Right off the interstate and Kimberly Road (one of the main roads through the IA side of the QCA), so it's right in the middle of Bettendorf and Davenport.

About a 10m drive to the mall and about a mile away from the 53rd street shopping area (Target, movie theatres, restaurants, etc). There are restaurants VERY close by, you just have to ask someone about them if you're not familiar with the area.

I've stayed there by myself, my husband and we have also stayed here with our dog, it was no trouble at all. Requested a corner room on the 3rd floor each time and got what we asked for. Has been clean each time, friendly staff and very basic breakfast to grab before hitting the road.

Will be staying again for future visits!

Room Tip: To avoid hallway or elevator noise, request a corner room; you'll either be facing a car dealers...