“City food in a small town”

Koreana Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 42 Restaurants in Decorah
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 14 June 2013

The setting is beautiful and clean and the sushi was amazing. Haven't had a chance to try the rest of the menu, but the opportunity to have Japanese food and not have to drive... priceless.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

I cannot say that this is "authentic" Japanese cuisine as stated on their menu, but I did enjoy the Oh-My-God flaming sushi, with fresh ebi over shrimp tempura and avocado roll, lightly drizzled with eel sauce and spicy mayo.

Loved the mustard dressing that came with the salad.

Not in love with the shrimp tempura udon noodles ... the flavor was a little off.

Service was poor the night we went; even though there were only 2 other tables in the restaurant, it took quite a while for us to be served and place our orders.

Reviewed 2 December 2012

I went on a Friday evening and knew a little about the restaurant and what they served.
PROS:
Pleasantly surprised with the decor. It is a smaller restaurant and has a very cozy feeling. We were seated in our own corner and they do a good job of spacing out their tables and/or allowing you to sit where you'd like. Restaurant is very clean.
CONS:
The menu has listed spring rolls, I ordered spring rolls and the waitress says, "You mean you want Egg Rolls? We used to have springs rolls." I was reading from the menu and I didn't like the way she told me I was wrong, when clearly the menu was wrong.
Drinks were refilled a long while after they had been sitting empty. I never got the last refill I wanted.
Korean/Japanese Cuisine... I ordered chicken fried rice and what came out was the worst chicken fried rice... well, actually it was beef fried rice that came out but I ate it anyways. The seasoning was awful. The menu doesn't describe that they will cook your rice in teriyaki sauce. They also had another layer of sauce and never once offered soy sauce.
My girlfriends meal came out 20-25 minutes after mine, luckily we are happily dating, but this could have ruined a first date. Who wants to sit and watch the other person eat. She ordered chicken teriyaki and the chicken was over done. The service sucked, they had one waitress and another lady who pretty much just walked around.

Prices: $29 for two, not bad but overpriced for Iowa. Reviews of people saying this rivals top places in big cities, that's just not true.

Overall: From a small local restaurant typically comes great food at good prices. Not here. Koreana's business model is luxurious top-notch cuisine and it doesn't even come close.

I give 3/10 stars ... 3 stars for the spring rolls (yes that's right, they ended up being spring rolls even after our waitress told us we couldn't order them because they weren't on the menu.)

Reviewed 17 November 2012

If you like a wide variety of sushi, both cooked and uncooked, this is the place in Decorah. Adventurous sushi eaters find all they can handle, and the rest can find good cooked dishes like teriyaki steak or chicken etc.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

The food and service was very good. The food was a little heavy on the fried side, but the quality and price was good.